pics of kh/schlumpf hub

I also recall him saying that the actual inards are largely unchanged. Also the shift button design has been reinforced alot for the KH

well that means if you still use inches you’ll definantly break the hub

I saw a bike in my lbs the other day with double-drilled cranks. Not sure if they are ISIS or square taper or even one piece cranks, but they do exist outside of unicycling. I think it was a kids bike designed to grow with the rider.

I agree…the KH/Schlumpf hub with the dual drilled cranks will create an amazingly flexible ride. Switching pedals and changing your seat height is a lot easier than switching cranks.

There are drilled cranks that others have made on this board (pdc) that were for square taper hubs.

The new versions of the Schlumpf hub will be great in that they won’t need the torque arm.

I’m excited!

I’m drooling over that new hub, and have a question about the ride it provides. I love making the banked turns on my Nimbus 36. I’m wondering if a 24" wheel geared uni in 36" mode would provide similar banked turn thrills as the actual 36" wheel?

Actually, the inner gearing system has been redesigned and upgraded to accomodate the larger diameter spindle, to increase strength, and to make shifting smoother. The shape of the shifter button is different, and the shifting rod is thicker to resist bending if the shifter button gets bashed.

One big advantage of the lack of lever arm is that you can flip the wheel either way, depending on your preference for which direction you want the buttons to move for up and down-shifting.

Not to thread jack, but check out the Evolution of Balance Award announcement!

Kris

I didn’t even think of that, but that is definitely another advantage.

Any update on when these hubs are going to be available? (I’m sure you have been asked this a bunch already)

Thread-jacker.

Can you describe how the bearing housing is made to include the torque arm? I can visualize this but it seems that the bearing outer race must be smaller than the bearing outer race on the other side to do this and make it reversible. That’s a cool innovation.

If the spindle increases in diameter, it seems the hub housing must increase in diameter proportionally. Is this also true?

I’ll trade you my ACL for your knee cartilage.

Attached is a (slightly dated but still relevant) photo of the internals. The knurled surface is a bearing sleeve connected to the hub in the same way that a torque arm would be. It is the same OD and width as a 42mm bearing.

Initially I wondered whether there would be enough grip in the bearing housing to support this, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem. You just clean the bearing housing free of grease and tighten it more securely than you would with a regular bearing.

12 KH unit 070420_1.JPG

How heavy it is? Or it does not matter that much for a muni?

The geared hub weighs about 1420 g, compared to 644 g for the Moment hub. In practice it doesn’t feel that much heavier to ride with.

Kris

Can you say: State-of-the-art? :smiley:

can you make titanium ones? :stuck_out_tongue:

you may have some issues with titanium parts bending etc. and it’d cost more than most suzukis.:smiley:

That’s not really a big advantage. The original Schlumpf frame (or is it the MkII? Well, the thigh-bashing one anyway) isn’t orientated one way or the other, so turning the seat around it even easier than flipping the wheel. Of course you’ve still got to change the cranks…

I’ve got 2 silver buttons on my Schlumpf… just to confuse any would-be thief that tried to ride off with it :smiley:

The Evolution of Balance Award looks like a fantastic idea. (Is it too late for Gary, Roger and the boys to apply retrospectively for their Three Peaks Challenge ride?)

STM

This is a very interesting post. I really want a geared Coker!
What frame will fit the Schlumpf/KH geared Hub 100mm, 12-mm ID, 40-mm OD? On both my Cokers I now have 125mm/135mm, 17-mm ID, 40-mm OD.

Why not make the Schlumpf/KH FSU in 125mm to fit the Coker frame, or will there be a 36" KH frame soon?
:slight_smile:

this hub was geared (haha, Punny) more towards 29"-24" unicycles, so the hub is designed to fit in the KH frame, so it was designed with a “narrow” hub but with wide flanges. the only frame I know of that will fit 42mm OD bearings with 100mm spacing is the Triton Sponge.

Speaking of Triton Sponge, I think I’m going to start saving up for a KH hub, Triton Sponge framed 36er.

I’m pretty sure it will fit in the nimbus 36 frame.

The bearing holders on the nimbus 36 frame are machined for 40mm bearings, it wouldn’t fit the 42mm OD of the KH/Schlumpf. It will however hold the normal schlumpf hub as that uses 40mm OD. I don’t know of any non custom fabricated frames which would fit the hub.

“We allow jumps up to 1.5m (6”)"?

Does that mean 1.5 meters or 6 inches?