Pics of bent KH rim

As per request. This older version KH freeride rim has/had an inherent flaw-that pesky “groove” running through the middle of the sidewall actually CAUSED or at least significantly contibuted to the damage, beacuse that’s precisely where the “separation” damage occured. The new KH rims do not have this groove, and so hopefully it will withstand drops much better. I was thinking about replacing the KH rim with a LM, but decided to just get the new vers. KH rim, and run a gazz on it. Besides, lots cheaper and I won’t need brake boss extenders, AND I’ll be back on the trail sooner! ((Friday:D)

Yep! There’s that SUCKY groove in the rim! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: ! Whoever and WHYEVER they came up with that idea needs to be shot!:smiley:

Ops! Nice rim there :wink: How do you do to bend it soo? High drops? :stuck_out_tongue:

High side hop/drop to flat with no real room for a smooth, quick roll-out. Plus, simply too little tire pressure so I bottomed out on the poor old rim!:frowning:

now you get to up grade it lol :smiley:

I have a Nimbus rim with that groove and it now has that same split. Went to the LM Surly rim - no groove - and switched from a Duro to a IRC Kujo tire. The result was the ability to go down a steep hill covered with loose dirt and leaves at a local MTB trail that the other set-up would break traction on. Couldn’t be happier about that split rim now…

Yeah I think I’ll have similar traction improvement by just upgrading to the Gazz with the newest KH 42mm rim. But just how wide is wide enough? 42, 65, 100? There’s got to be (a morning after… eew!) a point at which too much width becomes overkill. Does Kris Holm ride with a Large marge, or his standard KH rim? I know that the Alex DX 32 rim is even narrower than the KH, but lots of people use them with great success. I guess it just comes down to personal prefs.:smiley:

I’ve yet to have the experience of - Gee I could have made that IF I just had a wider rim/tire set-up. On the other hand I didn’t know I needed one till I had one…

Well, from what I hear Kris had specifically requested they not be put on but somehow the factory responsibile went ahead and put them on the “bad batch” of rims anyways. So so sucky.
The groove is designed to keep the braking surface in good shape and assist in braking etc, however we dont need it on unicycle rims and its just unfortunate that they were built this way.
I know for a fact that UDC here in NZ has refused to sell at least one of these rims (19 inch version). But thats life huh.

[quote=muzzle]
Well, from what I hear Kris had specifically requested they not be put on but somehow the factory responsibile went ahead and put them on the “bad batch” of rims anyways. So so sucky.
The groove is designed to keep the braking surface in good shape and assist in braking etc, however we dont need it on unicycle rims and its just unfortunate that they were built this way.
I know for a fact that UDC here in NZ has refused to sell at least one of these rims (19 inch version). Well UDC assured me that the KH rims they sell now don’t have those rim grooves! Better not! :angry:

Yeah, The bad ones are an OLD batch of rims, from the very first shipment of '05 KH’s.

Before I forget:
Another guy with same problem:

and more info on the bad rims:

I had one of these rims, that bust when riding on pavement ripping the entire side of the rim off. Of course UDC immeadiately rebuilt the wheel for me free of charge with a lovely no groovy KH rim, not had any probkems since. But I came up witha good diea for what to do with the old rim, im just about to post a thread about it.