Pedal Thread

Wellgo MG3 vs Nimbus DX Alu

I use the Nimbus DX Alu Pedals and I really like them. Grip is great. The only negative thing is their weight.

Now I found the Wellgo MG3 Pedals for 35,50€ (49$) on eBay. They look a bit similair but have only half the pins I have on my Nimbus. They only weight 324g (Nimbus 570g). Has anyone tested them or could anyboy compare them to the Nimbus DX Alu pedals?

Actually those look like the 2014 replacement for the MG1 from Wellgo. Looks a little thinner & lighter than the MG1. Nice.

I just got some nukeproof electrons to replace my battered MG1s, but if they don’t work out I’ll be getting those MG3s :slight_smile:

I got a pair of Nuke for my 29", having read a lot of good reviews here. I’m pretty happy with them, they’re super light and I like the feeling - though a bit strange at first to have that kind of convex curve.

I picked a pair of Scott at my LBS for my 24". A bit heavier than the Nuke (the 29" is much lighter than the 24"!), they’re super grippy and large. Both pairs are relatively low profile which I find interesting (meaning, I’m not good enough to know if it makes such a difference! :D)

I have a club 26" that I mostly ride to and from class everyday, but I do more distance and light trails with it on weekends. any suggestions for pedals? The ones I have on there are kinda blah, and I could use more surface area. also I’m kinda on a budget.

Just an update on the Atomlab General Issue pedals I was asking about earlier in this thread.

It’s been a couple months now, and we’re still only just barely dipping our feet in this years Muni season, but the GI’s are still going strong. These are an extremely wide pedal, and I love having that much platform. No issues breaking spindles yet (knock on wood), but the color has started chipping off a bit sooner/worse than other pedals I’ve had (who cares?).

That said, anyone tried Fyxation Mesa MP’s? MTBR Reviews look ugly for them, but there’s only one.

Saw them at the LBS today, and was tempted to scoop them up for my next build.

So I tried servicing my cheap Wellgo pedals, and for whatever reason there’s no washer between the cone and locknut, so can’t service 'em (and they needed it!). So now I’m looking for some half-decent XC/road pedals to go on my 29er. Any ideas? :smiley: preferably something I can take apart and service every now and then, as I’m cheap and like to fix stuff rather than replace.

I have a pair of Nukeproof Electron, like them and they’re super light. They have sealed roller inside, don’t know how much it’s serviceable. Some people here say their Neutron pedals are even better.

So on my eternal search for pedals I like, I stumbled upon the old-style “bear-trap” pedals. You all know the sort - You put them on your BMX, you go down a ramp, you fall off, and you slice the back of your leg to pieces. One thing I remember about these, as well as the leg-scars, is that they’re grippier than superglue. So, with that in mind, I went looking! :smiley:

I found a lot of the standard, oldskool BMX-type. I was about to order a pair, when I saw these:

Double beartraps? Sure! :smiley:

They’re also a brand I’ve actually heard of (Onza) so I grabbed them.

They’re about the size of my old Wellgo platforms (The ‘inside’ beartrap is about the size of a regular beartrap pedal, they just have an outsidey one too), but as the platforms are sort of slanted, these beartraps feel slightly larger (Not sure if that makes sense…). When I get my feet into my standard riding spot, which is essentially with the heel of my shoe wedged on the back of the pedal, my foot feels a bit further back (So I’m pedalling more on the toe) than with the platforms, so I guess that’s a plus.

These things absolutely stick me to them, just wearing my safety boots (No fancy Five-Tens for me), so I’m pretty happy. They feel solid enough, though beartraps always have the issue of the ‘trap’ part bending, I’ll see how I get on! And yes, I’ve already taken them apart to make sure I can service them :smiley:

Anyone else use beartrap-style pedals? I think I’m converted to them. They bring back fond memories :smiley:

I thought about buying a pair of caged or bear-trap as you call them for a while. But my bike friends told me they are not as strong as ‘‘normal’’ platform pedals. Grip looks awesome indeed, I’m just scared I’d bend the cages.

Yeah, I’ve heard them called ‘caged’ too. I always thought that was more because they’re sort of the default pedal-type for attaching toe-cage/clips to :smiley: They’re bear-traps in my mind, I guess it was burnt into my brain as a kid.

And yeah, I’m sort of hoping the fact that there’s two cages (And they look to be slightly thicker metal than the ones I used to run on my bikes) will prevent me from bending them. Suppose I can just… bend 'em back though. I’m REALLY rough on my pedals (My Wellgo’s lasted a couple of months before the bearings went, despite me not being a ‘technical’ rider in the slightest, and mostly riding smooth roads!), so if they don’t bend under my riding, I think they’re good enough :smiley:

There’s another type of beartrap I found too, that looked to be larger and more rounded, though I’ve never tried them:

Not sure how they compare with the oldskool rectangle/double rectangle type. They look really big, but that might translate into weakness.

As heavy rider riding wiht mountain shoes I like caged pedal but they suffer…

Used wellgo MG26 without luck (first pair : defect, first pair rebuild : defect, replacement pair : defect).
Grip very good.

like tryall single cage elite good grip, thin, 310g but not sure if I didn’t damaged one axle :angry: (heavy rider) .

seems the same as neon elite.

I just bought a pair of Twisted Pcs and then my seat broke. Just learnt to grind too

Unfortunately the £3.50 plastic pedals that came with my unicycle are extremely slippery in the wet, and living in England that’s quite a problem. I was wondering if you could suggest some pedals that are grippy in the wet. I’m looking for something fairly cheap, £20 at the maximum really.

Welcome UK rider! If you live anywhere close to reading we should ride :slight_smile:

I use these, and they’re pretty good, (my only real gripe with them was fixed with the ‘Electron Evo’ which are 5 quid more):

They’re 30 quid but for plastic & sealed IMHO a bit of a bargain.

Also the venerable Wellgo MG1’s can be had for 22 quid on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wellgo-MG-1-Magnesium-Downhill-Platform-Pedals-MTB-DH-BMX-Flat-Cage-White-/121284287876?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c3d1b5d84

Otherwise at 23 quid you’ve got real DMR V8s

At under 20 quid (I felt obliged to try answer ur question :)) there are wellgo V12 copies… not a huge fan of V12s myself but they have quite a following:

Can anyone confirm that the Nukeproof Electron Evo has solved the taller spindle issue that seemed to be a complaint with the electron, deity compound, and fyxations? Looking at the pictures(orange is Evo) its seems like they have shrunk the spindle down and flattened the ends a little.

nukeproof electron evo.png

fyxation gates slim.jpg

nukeproof electron flat.png

Looks like the “Evo” is just recently released so I guess there won’t be many reviews. I did look up their website and found this.

“The platform has increased height on the exterior faces, improved pin layout and moulded knurls for extra grip along the axle”

That sounds like like they have fixed the tall spindle issue.
The only place I can find them is chainreactioncycles in the UK. I wish they were available in the US.(I’m cheap)

Isn’t NukeProof the brand spreading across Europe, where the US market is covered by another brand? (Same stuff, repackaged?)

Yes the Deity, Fyxations, Azonic, and Nukeproofs are all based on the same pedal but each have a few differences. The Nukeproof Evo’s from what I can see have a lower spindle height, more pins, sealed bearings and come in the color I want :stuck_out_tongue:

The spindle sticking up above the rest of the pedal seems to be a complaint with these pedals and I thought maybe the Evo had solved it.

Origin 8 Ultim-8 Slimline Pedals

I haven’t seen a review posted about these pedals:
http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/pedals/origin-8-ultim-8-slimline-pedals.html

I was looking for a new pair for the muni, and these seemed like they might be good. I just got them yesterday, and put them on and rode with them today at lunch time.
I like them. They look nice. 100 x 108mm platform size.
Thin and light, but seem pretty strong. Aluminum with CroMo spindle. Listed as 308gm for the pair.
Very grippy, but I can still re-adjust my foot (but it’s not easy). The pins are replaceable, but they’re not adjustable, height-wise – I think that’s about the only negative I’d say at this point.

origin8 pedal.jpg

Those look pretty good for sure!
And light, always good.