Pedal adapter

Has anyone tried this before? If not, I’ll have to order it and try it. I don’t know exactly how it works. However, it seems that it can rotate freely because there is a ball bearing under the screw

2 Likes

What benefits are you hoping for?

I will guarantee you that it will not save you any energy, all it does is add an unnecessary component between the pedal and cranks. Every few years something comes along that in one way or another claims to improve power delivery on a bike - oval chainrings, z shaped cranks, L shaped cranks, oval chainrings but mounted 90° from the previous versions, much more complicated levers, you name it and it has been tried. None of them ever actually hold up to their claims.

I don’t know, I don’t expect anything. It piqued my curiosity.
I have to disagree with you on the oval chainrings: it was called Bio Pace and I had it on my first mountain bike. I thought it was wonderful and was better able to climb very steep places

unfortunately, as you would rotate by pedaling the distance from pedal shaft to center of axle would vary. changeing the virtual crank length and torque you would achieve. now what is the bennifit of potentually more pedal strikes on that rooted and rutted forest trail we all love to ride on? No chance of breakage and walking home is there? “just sayin”

1 Like

I can’t really imagine it either, but sometimes you just have to try things out without studying a lot :wink: It’s not built specifically for unicycles, it’s supposed to be for bikes and especially useful for uphill riding. I can only remember the oval “Biopace” sprockets from Shimano in the early days of mountain biking. While they felt odd, they were definitely helpful when climbing hills. I was simply amazed at the oddity and threw the question around

2 Likes

I think, the effect on efficiency would be in the same direction, as it is from biking to unicycling. You have more freedom of motion, but no general gain of transmission of force. So, for covering a given distance on a unicycle, we have an extra energy expenditure for balance maintenance on top of the necesary work for physical transportation.
For this add-on, you will lose some of the solid conection from pedal to crank you are used to. So when you ride, your habbit of movement and the “program” your brain employs for muscle control will work the ususal way, including lateral force on the pedal in some positions. With the free rotation this pedal can move around it’s center, you will probably experience some shaking in your leg movements on the unicycle, since your habitual micro-control movements will kind of run into emty space, and not create balance support like you are used to. Probapbly a little bit like walking (or doing anything physical) when you are drunk, there will be a time-gap or mismatch between your action and the physical reaction. Or maybe like riding a fat tire with very low pressure.
So, for the energy saving claim, it won’t happen. For the fun of trying, go ahead, I would be curious what your experience is.

4 Likes

oh i have a lot of experience in “drunk unicycling” so see a chance for me :smiley:

3 Likes

Same, not advising non-soner Unicycling but it’s a fun challenge. There were many rides in my 24" in winter to go get snacks.

also for schlumpfs,who cares for that hastle changing out cranks

I think I’d like to give these a try – on a bike at least, I think it would be an interesting experience and you never know the different pedalling motion may make a difference. I had forgotten about this thread.

People liked to debunk Biopace back in the day (and still do!). I had (and still have) Sugino oval rings on my 1988 Muddy Fox and they seemed to make a difference and I did a lot of both off and on road miles with them (it came new with them and I couldn’t afford to buy an actual Shimano Biopace crankset). I think this is different as the crank length will change and the pedal will have a different locus whereas it didn’t with Biopace, and certainly doesn’t with things like Z shaped cranks. So physiologically it might be better – who knows.

That said, the “20% energy saving” claim sort of devalues it since that seems somewhat far fetched and adds to the snake-oil vibe. However I’d still like to see what they feel like – with flat pedals rather than clipless, at least in the first instance :slight_smile:

Trying to imagine what my pedaling motion would be – I ride recumbent, spin at 80rpm and adjust gears to suit wind, slope, surface. Torque is split about 70/30 between push and pull. Would this make a difference in the dead spot at the transition between push and pull? make it into a more circular motion?
On a Uni, how would the extra rotation affect idling? I idle left foot down, would the swinging link affect control?

I have a recumbent bike and a trike – I hadn’t considered these on those – I wouldn’t fancy them on the bike to be honest, mainly due to very slow speed unclips sometimes going bad even with regular cranks, but on the trike they might be quite interesting. Probably just a gimmick though.

Those things look like they would be a nightmare if you were actually transitioning between pulling up and down! They would jump suddenly from under the pedal to over.

On the bike I only truly pull up when I’m climbing in a low cadence; otherwise I’m just unweighting the back leg. And on the uni I’m on flat pedals, so of course not pulling up. Maybe they’d be OK for that…

Would be interesting if you could lock them in a set position easily. It would give various crank lengths without having to change the crank or move the pedal to a different hole. Wouldn’t work for muni though as it would be too weak to stand up on this.

1 Like

Hey this will make my crank length longer at 6 o’clock.
I can scrape the ground to help me brake when I am turning.
Thanks SPX…slammm