Padded gloves

Any recommendations for seriously padded gloves? I’ve been using the KH gloves and Pearl Izumi cycling gloves, but a couple of UPD’s where I land on my hands haven’t been fun. Didn’t see a tree root in the shadows today. I need to get something with some significant padding when I’m trying the more aggressive trails. What I have is fine for general riding, but they’re not enough for the trails when I’m challenging myself.

Yes, I should learn to roll when I land, and I’ll try that too, but I need something in the meantime.

I’ve been using Hillbillies wrist braces. They’re not only padded, they have hard plastic guards to protect against impact.

1 Like

I definitely agree with Duff, Wrist guards are what you need. I never ride with out them.

1 Like

YES, I also agree with Duff and Bug72 ! A padded/thicker glove, palm down grabs and rolls the wrist stopping the hand on impact, breaking the wrist. (seen it on two people) thick leather slides. A wrist guard for skating would be better in a fall situation. Absolutely learn to roll out as necessary, hands and wrists are delicate. Protective pads/guards are better to handle impacts, suit up for new fun!

Is it possible to grab the handle and operate the brake fairly well with these wrist guard gloves? I wasn’t thinking of them because I thought they would interfere with holding the handle securely.

I don’t find them to be much of an impediment, but I’ve been using them for most of my time unicycling. What I do find though is that when you’re armored up it gives you confidence to do things you wouldn’t otherwise do and that helps you learn faster.

I was researching some “padded gloves” recently, too, and found that Hillbillys or similar was what I needed. I had a hard time finding someone selling them though, and I got the impression that the producer is out of business: The website https://www.hillbillyprotection.com/ will forward you to a website selling f(x)nction shredder wrist guards. They look very much like Hillbillys, but I was unable to find more info about them, so I didn’t take the chance to ship them overseas.

I also considered the Triple Eight Hired Hands, which are even burlier than Hillbillys. In the end though, I just went for some standard skateboard-type wrist guards.

They won’t be in your way when holding the handle or T-bar or when operating the brake. The only downside to wrist guards is that you have to take them off when removing or putting on a jacket, but that’s a minor price to pay.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-Wrist-Guard-Gloves-Finger/dp/B0046F2I5K

It looks like the actual company that “makes” them is MBS mountain boards. They’re cheaper there.
https://www.mbs.com/gear/hillbilly-wrist-guard-gloves-black-half-finger

1 Like

I boycott Amazon, MBS.com doesn’t ship to Norway, and the MBSEurope.com is out of stock. Anyway, I’m happy with my wrist guards.

2 Likes

They take a little getting used to. I have no trouble operating my brake, I do feel a little fatigue using my t bar, that I attribute to the wrist guard. When I feel discomfort I ride no handed for a while or alternate hands on the bar. I will note that hand fatigue and numbness are common in all kinds of cycling, I experience it on my mountain Bike during long rides… My guards have the road rash to prove they have saved me more than once. I use Killer Pads bought on amazon,

Hillbilly full finger for me. I wouldn’t ride without them.

I wear size XL so no problem with holding the bars/saddle and operating brake. People with small hands might.

Yup, what most everyone is recommending, HillBilly full finger wrist guard gloves. I did roll out of a UPD once and rolled over the hard plastic palm protector part of the glove and crackrd a rib. Still, I don’t ride without them.

I did buy the HillBilly gloves. They will definitely protect my hands and wrists, but I cannot grip the bar as well as I would like with them so uphill is more difficult and braking is a little harder. I will probably get used to them, but I think I will try to find something in between the protection of these and usual bike gloves. I feel like I’ve swung too far on the pendulum towards these.

Currently I’m using the HillBilly on the right hand and a regular bike glove on the left as it is my usual bar gripping hand. A little goofy, but that’s the nature of a unicyclist… At least I’m getting some protection.

I haven’t tried, but I’m guessing you can remove the plastic guard from the left glove. There is still a significant amount of padding behind it.

If you’re looking for seriously padded gloves for aggressive trails, I’d recommend checking out mountain biking gloves specifically designed for downhill or enduro riding. They usually have extra padding on the palms and knuckles to provide better protection during rough landings. In the meantime, until you master the art of rolling, those gloves should offer the extra cushioning you need. By the way, speaking of gloves, I recently had a hard time finding the perfect pair for myself and ended up stumbling upon some high-quality protective gloves for mechanics that surprisingly fit the bill. Just a random find, but they’ve been great for my needs.

Padded gloves are good for padding your palms, but your fingers/wrists go snap when you land with open hands. As, my fellow riders have mentioned. You need wrist guard if you are moving with any speed and/or on a tall unicycle. Personally, I don’t ride fast and stay on short(24") unicycle so I wear gloves if going offroad “somewhere new”. If I fall I always hit the ground with a closed fist.

Also, learning “to judo roll” is cool. I learned to do that, but after “not falling” for a long time. I got lazy and that “rolling” reflex is gone. It takes discipline and humility to do a “daily” intentional fall-off.

2 Likes

I agree with slamdance. I always wear wrist guards. And up to today, open finger cycling gloves. I am now looking for thin leather gloves, maybe with breathable fabric on top of hand.

I had a upd at speed (18kph) this morning on the cycleway/ shoulder of the road. I went over the front.
I’m happy to say it was a “textbook” landing as far as I’m concerned.

It was too fast to run out, but I hit the ground running (couple of steps) before momentum had me drop to my knees (knee pads) then forward onto wristguards (hands open) I must have being sliding on all fours for a couple of feet only. As I come to a stop, my backpack (with work computer) went up over my head but stayed on.

Lesson learnt:

1. Know when tiredness clouds judgement.
  2. Continue to wear safety gear and add to that thin leather gloves to protect skin from abrasions from landing on wrist guards with hands open.
    Only injury was a 5mm diameter loss of skin on outside of right thumb.
  3. Look at using the waist strap on backpack.

I feel confident getting the G36 now, now that I know I have half a chance to instinctively land safety ( knock on wood).

3 Likes