OWA... released at last, although one BIG problem for USA livers

problem with that is, i have heaps of menus and things that will be lost in the process.

i know i can get all the videos, but all the time and effort i put into making menus and all the fun you can have navigating them is important too.

nope. ulead does not let you convert it in the authoring progress.
im pretty sure you arent able to do it that way. if i was able to, it would be on its way to the US and no problems will be had.

But you’d still end up with a video with the PAL frame rate. You’d have to convert the PAL frame rate to the NTSC frame rate before burning it to DVD if you actually want to play it on your TV.

It is precisely that frame rate conversion that tomsey seems to be having problems with. You can do the conversion the quick and dirty way with consumer level software and you end up with results that tomsey doesn’t seem to be happy with. Or you go with expensive professional level equipment to do it and get professional level results.

yes

and the problem also lies with losing about 100 lines of picture.
so when i did convert it (it took me 9 hours of exporting) the finished thing looked so bad and skippy, i couldnt bear to have another soul look at it.

plus, not having a 3CCD camera to begin with, i’m already suffering in terms of quality of picture. i want it to look the best it possibly can, for everyone.

Framerate is an easy conversion… mplayer I believe will do it…

My Authoring software (Adobe Premiere) will allow me to create a NTSC or a PAL project. What about including a DVD-R in NTSC format with the original PAL?

I’ll do that with mine (vice versa) should anyone over the pond want that

It’s easy to do poorly, but hard to do well.

If done poorly you end up with jumpy video in motion scenes because duplicate frames are inserted to increase the frame rate. A smooth grind down a rail won’t be as smooth any more. Inserting frames in interlaced video is tricky. Not all software does it the right way.

Resizing the video to fit the different screen resolution will also look bad if done poorly. Especially with interlaced video. Most consumer software does it the quick and easy way which looks really bad. Resizing interlaced video is very tricky.

Combine the quick and dirty way of increasing the frame rate along with the quick and dirty way of resizing the video and you’ve got a mess that won’t look anywhere near as good as the source video.

It can be done. It’s just more difficult and takes more steps than just clicking one button in the software. And even with great care I’m not sure how good of a result you can get with consumer level software tools.

Hopefully tomsey will be able to figure out a way to convert the video to NTSC and keep it at a quality he’s happy with. I’d rather have the video in NTSC format so I can play it on my TV. The video would get more play time on the TV than it would if I had to watch it on the computer. But I’d still get the video even if I can only get it in PAL format.

You may want to check out this software, which has a free trial: http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/

Doing some google searching and looking around in some forums, that software was recommended a couple times.

$195

or do people not mind the DVF logo on it?

The link that Joe Marshal gave explains a way to convert from PAL to NTSC using free tools. It’s a bit complicated to follow the steps and uses several different tools to do the job so it’s not the easiest way to go about it. But it does do things the right way. It deinterlaces the right way for maximum quality then resizes the video the right way for maximum quality.

The link is here: Standards Conversion (on the cheap)

It uses AVISynth to do most of the work. AVISynth is a bit of an odd utility because it’s all controlled from a script file. There is no graphical user interface. The output from AVISynth is fed to your MPEG encoding software. I’ve used AVISynth do do deinterlacing and the deinterlacing filter described in the guide works well.

do you think this will work with a video file in MPEG2 PAL format.
to convert it to mpeg2 NTSC.

It should.
You may be able to use your existing MPEG2 encoder instead of TMPGEnc. TMPGEnc has either a 2 week or 30 day trial on the MPEG2 encoder so you’ll be able to try it for free to see how the process works.

Hopefully the quality of the conversion will be good.