One foot riding w/a 29?

Is it harder to learn to ride with one foot if I’m learning it on my 29er? I’ve been havin some troubles. How did you guys learn it? On what unicycle? I don’t seem to be having a problem learning to wheel walk on it, but it makes sense that I could have some difficulty one footing with the bigger wheel size. Also I’m having a hard time learning to idle.

ive got 150 cranks on my 28" atm and one footing isnt that hard on it, but getting your foot back to the pedals i find is near impossible due to the weight shift. you just have to learn to lift your leg higher smoothly, not to jerky or quickly… thats the only hard part. i learnt to 1 foot on my trials (19/20") but with the 29" frame.
with the 150 cranks i find idling quite nice on the 28 ijust use a much bigger roll back and forth as opposed to a 20"

Re: One foot riding w/a 29?

These skills are probably a little harder on the bigger wheel, but they are not easy on a smaller wheel either. Try to get your heel at least locked into the frame so your body is more stable. I can idle 2f and 1f fine on the 29er but can’t 1f ride yet, whereas I can do all of that on the 20". It’s not a straightforward transfer of skill, is what I have found.

I’m betting it’s considerably harder to learn to do it on a big wheel. But once you know how to do it well, it’s easy on any size.
If you have a 20 or a 24 inch, then learn on that.

I learned on the 20", and when I got my 29er it was an easy transition. It would probably be easier to learn on the smaller wheel size, then once you get it down on that unicycle it isn’t a hard transition to the 29er.

Re: One foot riding w/a 29?

“MuniTune” <MuniTune@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Is it harder to learn to ride with one foot if I’m learning it on my
> 29er?

I started learning to ride one-footed on a 27" wheel and got to the
point I could, on rare occasion, go 3 revolutions before falling off.
Then I got a 20". As soon as I tried one-footing, I found I could
easily get my foot back on the pedal and often continue riding.

I also hoped that getting my foot on the frame, which is way easier on
the 20", would help. It didn’t. I still suck at one-footed riding,
but I prefer to let my free foot swing in the air. That makes it
easier to get it back on the pedal.

The advantages of the bigger wheel are that it gives you more time to
think and has more momentum, helping you to keep going smoothly.

One of my goals for today is to ride 4 revolutions one-footed,
recovering to regular forward riding, and repeat for a total of 50
repetitions. I much prefer the 20" for this exercise.

Ken