old guys on unicycles

Thank you to the well wishers re: my recent progress. I appreciate it and I’m very glad to have a place to come and discuss this. When I broach the subject of unicycling with friends and acquaintences the conversation usually turns to circuses or other ridiculous stuff. It’s nice to talk with like-minded people.

There are advantages and disadvantages to riding on grass. Today I had a UPD and when I landed I was leaning too far forward to run out from it. I ended up doing a tuck-n-roll and rolled out of it without incident. I am glad that wasn’t on cement. The lumps and bumps in the grass can cause a UPD but I had reached a point where I needed to get away from fences. I was being held back by depending on the fence. That is why I chose the tree and the short grass. Eventually I want to be able to ride some smooth trails with my son, so I think the grass is good training (and it is softer too :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Yup, pluses and minuses to every option. Grass is tough because of the lumps and bumps as you say. It looks like you’re doing everything right in the video. Your balance window is just small right now, but you’ll figure out how to recover from bigger and bigger wobbles as you get more experience. Great job and keep it up!

I guess 36 isnt so old

Unicycles r like the fountain of youth, Old unicycle riders always look younger than their real age

I am 36 and look like I am in my 20s and act like I am in my teens :stuck_out_tongue: it confuses people alot especially cops. They always think I have a fake id.

I am not super old, but I do remeber calling a cheapo uni a zephyr, I also remeber columbia style bearing holders being a common term, and have a hatred for cotter cranks. You younger guys are so lucky they stopped making cotter crank garbage unis.

I really wish there were more unicycle riders around, just to ride around charleston sc and goof off, would be fun not riding alone all the time.

I’ve never met an “old” unicyclist. Age seems to be the one thing that a unicycle manages to outrun.

billtheturner, any good trails around you? I’ve been meaning to ride more Akron area trails, seems to be the best area near me due to the efforts of CANBA. A group of us met at Ray’s about a month ago, really great riding there. But most of my park riding is at the Wheel Mill with the Butler Wobble whenever I get a chance.

I think you are right to a degree. I think it is the mindset of people willing to take up new things that aren’t mainstream. However, there is an element of aging (for me at least) that creeps into new ventures. It becomes a bit more difficult to maintain the “I am invincible” attitude. These days I wear safety gear, I never did that when I was young and was lucky enough to make it to my, somewhat, advanced years. Now I believe in it. I make my son wear safety gear and he is only 9 yrs old. He balks, but in the long run, I think it will pay off for him. I have endured many injuries in my life that some little bit of caution would have prevented. At my age now I don’t want to be injured again, it hurts like hell and takes much longer to heal.

I can definitely say when I unicycle (to my meager limits) I do feel younger again. I feel the excitement of accomplishment and the thrill of a new experience. It’s good. Hell, it’s great!!

I made a promise to myself long ago that I wouldn’t be a fat old man. I’m older and fatter than I hoped but I think unicycling can help me peel off a few pounds. When I was about 2 yrs old I met a man (I was with my sisters and brothers) and his name was Gus. He was as old as time to my young eyes and he was magical. He had fingernails on his right hand that were long and manicured and he played the banjo. My siblings used to take me there when I was so young (I know my age based on stories from them). Gus used to play the banjo on the front porch of his house and he was always smiling. Gus had a wife who (in those days) wore the full apron and used to float out onto the porch and serve up hot cookies and pies while her husband played for the neighborhood kids. He has been an everlasting force in my life. I decided very young I wanted to be just like Gus. I wanted to have something to do for the children that would thrill them and make them happy.

At my age now my hopes are to start a unicycle club in my son’s school and bring some magic to them. I know I have a long way to go but I’m willing to put in the hours. I don’t care if I can only ride on smooth flat surfaces, I want to do something that will impact on the kids and give them something to look forward to in their lives. I can only hope, at this age, that I can be half the role-model that Gus was to me.

Sorry for running on so much. In short, I agree, I’m not old but I have something that I didn’t have when I was in my 20s and 30s. I have hope to be able to pass something on. Maybe that is the difference in an older rider. Thoughts??

Your vision is cool, I love to see community outreach like that. It is very similar to what Sebring Unicycle and Juggling Club does. They work with a local elementry school as an after school program, but not directly affiliated with the school.

This all truely stems from the hard work and passion of Paul Getty, with a similar vision to yours. He’s been riding longer than most of you “old” guys have been alive too. He was the oldest registered competetor at NAUC 2013 at 86.

Yes we have lots of nice trails around the Akron - Cleveland area. One of the best ones is Royalview, in North Royalton in the Cleveland Metro Parks, its has long downhills if you ride it backwards from the Mt bikers suggestioned direction. Another one is Quail Hollow in Hartville, short but a little easier than most. Goggle CAMBA mt biking and loads of trails will come up.

I am 55 years old and started 3 years ago. Went from not being able to cross my driveway to riding 33 miles…once.
I don’t feel old but it does take me a few days to recover from long rides or very hilly rides. Stretching helps a lot, as well as ibuprofen.

The longer and longer I ride, the more it impresses my when I see people posting incredible 50 or 100 mile rides here. I recently did 22 miles and damn! It hurt at the end… a lot! I can’t imagine even riding twice that.

To find out more about older riders, don’t forget to check out this thread.

Do you guys that ride more than, say, 5 miles use a large diameter wheel or are you doing that on a 24" uni?

Depends on what type of riding. On some MUni rides I might do as much as 15 miles, either on my KH 24 or G26er. On road climbing rides with my 700c I average about 6-9 miles, and 20-40 mile 36er rides, including the 100+ mile 36er rides at least once per year. :slight_smile:

Knees.

I seem to have two issues:

1: After playing uni hockey I have overall knee pain
Seems to be related to performing the same motions over time, while the knees are actively engaged. It goes away after walking around a bit but that interferes with hockey.

2: On long distance rides, and sometimes randomly, pain between the very top of my patellas and my legs. If I push right there it’s obvious now but it took me a while to find the painful spot the first time. It happens sometimes when I haven’t even ridden for a week, just out of the blue.

Advice/diagnosis/excersises?

A similar thread was started for ‘older’ riders some time ago.

Here it is: 55+ Ride-Your-Age

It was intended to encourage riders of both sexes who were 55 and older ( 50 for female)

One attraction was that you could submit a photo of yourself with your uni and it would be digitally edited into a photo of everyone ‘virtually’ standing together. Peruse the thread to see the images as more riders joined.

It still is possible to submit photos so if anyone is keen then PM and I will give you the details

BTW I am 65 and I think I ‘unofficially’ hold the record for the oldest person to ride 100 miles in a day. I tend to do this every year and stared when I was 63. This year I am attempting 130 miles in a day ie, twice my age.

I’ll give you the same one my doctor gives me…

“You are old!”

I do most of my riding on a 29". Usually anywhere between 3 miles and up to 22 so far. But right now I only have a 29 and 20 so the choice is pretty easy to make for which one I should ride.

!st free mount today!

I did it! I actually pulled off my first free mount today. I’ve been able to come close, get up and balance, but never able to get up and ride off! Wow, that felt good!
After a frustrating session a few days ago I’ve made real progress the last couple days. I’m learning on my 20" Torker and can now consistently ride the length of my carport and the paved section of driveway (~25 feet). Today I took the uni and rode in “public” for the first time. Yikes! The local church has the biggest parking lot in town and was empty, so I practiced there. I can go quite a ways now, not very straight, wobbling, arms flailing, hips twisting; but I’m doing it!
My other big news is that my new 26" Nimbus Muni came yesterday. Wow, what a difference! It’s going to take a while to figure that thing out. Not nearly as maneuverable as the 20".

Greetings RedRockRider and congratulations.

This is quite an experience you have waiting for you with the 26" Muni. That’s real fun once you go offroad (gras, gravel, hardpack, even ground, even that is a supersmooth experience.

Welcome to the World of unicycling.

Greetings

Byc

My first uni was a 24" which I used for everything. By the time I got interested in distance riding / touring, I added bigger unis to my fleet. I now choose the wheel for the occasion. Mostly, for longer rides I’d pick a bigger wheel. But I sometimes race (and train to race) 10 km on a 24" as a required wheelsize. Also, my main MUni is 24 x 3", on which I’ve done rides up to 60 km. Summary: it depends.

First: Congratulations on the successful free mount, RedRockRider! I envy you :smiley:

Second I have a question about turning: While I’m getting pretty decent at going straight and even with the slightly curved, bumpy part of my training course, I am having trouble turning. Do you guys know any exercises that can help learning sharper 90 degree turns? I’ve been trying to ride wide circles, but the best I got was a quarter of a circle before I dismounted involuntarily :wink:

Turning

What worked for me is looking way past the corner you want to make. I was trying to make it around 90 degree corners and kept falling. Once I began looking past the corner in the direction I wanted to go, I started making them easily. Let’s get more “old” women out there!