Okay...one thread for all my progress

Great progress. Love the fall video. I made a similar one of my daughter and after she learned to ride well, we watched it and it made is laugh to remember how hard it used to be. :slight_smile:

You were spot on here! I went out the last couple of days and worked and worked until I got the free mount down. It was like being given a key to the treasure chest! Now I can mount and ride wherever I am! I hope to put up a video demonstrating proof either today or tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

I think I actually read a post here on the forum about the necessity of learning to fall, so that you would actually know how to do it safely. Definitely a beneficial skill…though it is more fun to dismount on purpose!:smiley:

I’ve got a natural talent for falling :smiley:

Well said!

Freemount Success!

Just a quick update to show that I have indeed accomplished freemounting! Tonight I also joined my kids riding their B*kes around the block. Only had to dismount once! Oh yeah…this is after just about 1 month of practicing.

It is touching to see you and your daughter enjoying these moments together. She is a good companion and I am sure she is happy to have someone outside playing with her.

Mike…she wants to get one for herself to ride with me! Just gotta talk my wife into it!:smiley:

Took my unicycle to the local park today and let the kids play on the playground while I practiced. They have a mile long running path around the playground and various ball fields. It was a great place to practice left-hand and right-hand turns.

Kids thought is was pretty cool! My wife said some of the dads were talking about it and trying not to look like they were watching…:smiley:

One little girls said, “Mommy! That man’s B*cycle is broken! He’s “ony” got one wheel!”

First time really out in public and it felt great! Cars were honking driving by. Not sure what they were thinking but lots of the people waved!

A little off road spin…and spill

So I decided to take the uni on a trip down a small path between two of the streets in my neighborhood. My 24" is not exactly designed for off road, but thought I would give it a go anyway. Here are the results. :smiley:

Very cool! Do you know what the story of that path is? It was obviously cleared and graded for something but seems to have been abandoned. I love finding relics like that. It looks like a great place to ride.

I’d call it a road, just an unpaved one, and your uni should be fine on it. A muni with a big honking tire would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Rock on. :slight_smile:

Actually, I do know the the history. I live in part of the area where the old Camp Davis Army base was during WWII. There are still some old chimneys and foundations located around the area. This used to be a road at that time, but was never paved and has since grown over.

First person view

I went to an old factory foundation to practice riding. It has a bunch of concrete bases where the walls and pillars used to be. Its great practice for turning.

It’s been fun watching your progress. I just joined this site and found your thread. I started unicycling almost the same day as you and our progress is identical, I even have the problem of turning left. I am envious of the weather you have as I have had to learn in the snow for the last 6 weeks.
My latest place on the learning curve is trying to go up and down hills steeper than a gentle grade. I find both up and down quite exhausting even if it is only for 20 feet.

Dave

Nice Work

Your progress is Great, I wish I would of kept track of mine over the last 6 months.

Soon as I learned to freemount 4 out of 10 times my friend chris said…you can learn to ride on your street or the trail.

We have been riding the trail every sunday, and now we are up to 6 mile loops with some walking up steep grades(9%).

Down hill is fun and uses different muscles, My Quads are getting Huge.

Keep up the great work-
Doug

First long distance ride

Okay, so I don’t have a video of this one, but I do have a blister…although I am not sure I am able to post a picture, considering where it is!:smiley:

I am training for a 36 mile adoption fundraiser in the spring, and I decided it was time to leave my neighborhood and head out to the place where I am going to be doing the ride

The location is right along the beach in Surf City, NC. The weather today was awesome! Up to now, I have only been riding around the block. Today I rode 3.2 miles round trip. It is the longest distance I have gone yet, and my legs were a little like jello.

Worse than the legs was the butt! Oh my goodness. By the time I made it back to the car, I was hurting!

The good news is that I only dismounted once, and made the whole trip without a UPD! I feel like this is really great progress considering the time I have been learning.

I passed a guy on a b*ke going the other way. He said, “Looks like fun!”

So, 3.2 miles down and all I have to do is work up to 36! Oh, and I am using a 24 inch Unicycle.

I think I might have already posted this somewhere else, but I wanted to include it here as well. I decided to do a first person view of riding at the old factory. I used my cell phone camera to shoot this. Hopefully It doesn’t make you dizzy!

3.2 miles, one dismount and no upds.! :astonished: Crikey Charlie :slight_smile:
Watch out Unigeezer! Well Done you, keep at it. :slight_smile:

Here is another update video. Sorry about the time out of screen, but no camera man yet. :slight_smile:

anyway, a little free mounting and some circular riding. I feel pretty good about the progress I have made, but am still struggling with “stalling” and riding in reverse. One step at a time.

Riding with the kids…

So it has been a little while since I posted a new video update here. I thought I would post two! I made the first one just the other day at the park, and then this one was shot this even at a local vacant lot where my kids and I like to ride. Just some good family fun.

Since my last post on this thread, I have traded in my Schwinn 24" for a Nimbus 29er with a road tire and shadow t-handles. I am now riding miles at a time, and having a blast. Looking back at my beginning videos, I can see how far I have come. Still a long way to go to get to where I want. If only Unigeezer would slow down I might have a chance of catching him!!! :D:D