"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

I was wondering how the duro easy ride compare to the big apple?

same question for me and also a comparison between 2.0" and 2.3" big Apple and the comparison between KH 38mm and 47mm rims

So where are we in the freeride/DH (thick & stiff sidewalls, deep tread) department? Looks like the WTB 2.5s of last decade went away quietly without saying goodbye.

Hans should do the trick.

The WTB dissent and Kodiak rode like warmed over doo doo, I had em both, sold em both, neither is worth the trouble.

Sidewall stiffness alone is not what we need for a good tire, it also needs to be light, supple, and not suffer from cambered surfaces. That Kodiak was quite possibly the worst tire I’ve ever ridden when it comes to steering into the hill. The Dissent was bearable, but in contrast to the RR 2.4 it paled in all things but durability; the RR is kinda soft and not that rock proof.

The Ardent 2.4 is a great tire and well worth riding, but better tires keep coming out, like the Hans Dampf 2.35 and hopefull soon the Hans Dampf SG (Super Gravity); the SG was developed for extreme alpine riding.

If you have the frame (Oregon or maybe the Conundrum) the new Surly Knard 29 x 3" could be a winner, but so far it is vaporware, pics only, no good reviews.

I’m hoping to be riding one sometime next month :smiley:

It seems like the current generation of tires are treaded party balloons. I kinda prefer a wide, stiff, and heavy tire running at ~35 to 45 psi, not some squeaky airbag you can twist into a giraffe…but as usual, I’m a minority within a minority. :roll_eyes:

35-45 psi!

Woah, that’s a hard ass tire, I’d think anything would work at that pressure, but that’s a stiff ride for sure.

The reason the new tires are so big is that folks are using them for suspension and flotation, rigid bikes and rigid unicycles.

I run 40psi in a trials and its hard.

Yeah, not cushy at all. I guess comfort is second fiddle to durability on my list of priorities. When the drops go over a meter and tombstones are everywhere, a stiff tire doesn’t fold or pinch flat, and is just a bit more responsive. Also climbs a little easier for some reason.

I actually got my hands on a Kodiak prototype 29er tire from about four years ago - it has steel belts(!) and is by far the heaviest uni tire I’ve ever ridden. It tracks like crazy on off-camber, but you get used to that. It is fantastic in SB and Moab terrain, but sadly one-of-a-kind (and just about worn out now).

Just thought I should post my review for a couple tires.

First is the Dissent. This came stock on my Drak and was wayyy too heavy for me. It had extremely good traction in all conditions so it would be good for serious DH riding I guess but had way too much rolling resistance for what I use it for (road riding and XC).

Next I switched the Dissent out for a CST Critter. I was blown away by how much I liked this tire for the price. It is 2.1 with no bead so it’s very light but it seems very durable (and reviews support that appearance). The best part about this tire is it’s price. For under $20 this is an amazing tire that is light and durable.

Bingo! :smiley: That’s what I want to hear in a tire review.

Yeah, the Kodiak and/or Dissent can still be found in a few places:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=93056

My Kodiak can be found in my basement. It really is the closest thing to a full on muni tire for a 29" wheel in terms of cush and I never had a problem with how it rode but it’s overkill for my riding.

“Availability: No Longer Available” :frowning: If you’re interested in parting with your used Kodiak (assuming reasonable condition) for monetary compensation, PM me.

I sourced a Dissent elsewhere; hopefully the website wasn’t lying about stock.

WTB Dissent and Kodiak are discontinued for a number of reasons: They are heavy, stiff, suffer on cambered trails, have terrible ride characteristics, and are of marginal quality.

The Kodiak was commissioned for a 29er MTB Brand, so it was a one run tire. I had one briefly, it may have been the worst tire I have ever ridden, terrible on camber, literally wore me out trying to keep it from turning into the hill on single track, and it was all over the place on flat trails.

The Dissent was a meh tire, didn’t do anything well, had camber issues like the Kodiak, very heavy for what it is, no better than any other WTB tire. There are better “cheap” tires out there, but if you’re going to spend money on a new tire, and you only have to buy one tire compared to two for a bike, it behooves you to buy a good one the first time round.

You can get a Hans Dampf Pacestar 29 x 2.35 for $67.50 at Cambria.

You can get an Ardent 29 x 2.4 for $52 at Cambria.

The seat and tire are the most important components for quality of riding, so treat yourself right.

@Entropy:

I have a Dissent that I picked up from Munimag. I can send it to you for $20 plus shipping if you want it, not sure that I’ll ever use it, I was keeping it for posterity…

If you want a Kodiak, I sent mine to a uni rider in Maine, can’t remember the name…

You could also advertise on MTBR, there are certainly a bunch of Kodiaks lying around as new take offs; they were not popular with bikers.

For the riding you describe; high pressure to avoid sidewall collapse, I think you’d be happy with the Hans Dampf. I ride mine at lower pressures, 18-20psi and I weigh 200#, it doesn’t fold unless I really get on it, but in terms of sidewall stiffness it is on par with a Dissent, so at higher pressures it would be a good tire for you, it also has agressive tread that works well for mud and it grips rock like mad.

You can get a wire bead for less, might even have a stiffer sidewall…

Say what you want about the Dissent. It’s been the BEST 29er tire around here for the conditions we have (mud, roots, and rocks). It is heavy, but I’ve had no problem racing it for 2 years. I’ve done over a dozen MTB races, most in the 10+ mile category, and don’t finish last against the bikes.

I don’t have camber problems with it. I run it around 16-22 psi depending on conditions. I’ve had far worse camber problems with the Large Marge/ Larry or Nate combo on the 26".

It can be overkill for some conditions. Max traded me a Dissent for my Stout as we both didn’t like the tires we had and they didn’t work for our conditions. Please don’t take any one person’s word for gospel. Mine neither.

Don’t totally diss the Dissent.

Entropy wants my Dissent, so more power to ya!

Better stock up on the Dissent, it is probably going the way of the dinosaurs real soon.

Josh at UDC likes the Dissent too, so now there are three of you :roll_eyes:

BTW, the Hans Dampf weighs half as much as the Dissent :stuck_out_tongue:

I need twice the tire, not half :wink:

Hans Dampf Super Gravity then only 150 gish heavier than a standard hans but more plys and snake bit proof and snakeskin over the entire carcass.

Looks like an awesome DH tyre with freeride weight

I really like the versatility of the 28" x 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Dureme (29er). I do a significant amount of urban riding so I can appreciate that the Marathon Dureme rolls smooth and fast on asphalt but still grips well on light off-road terrain. I had a tough time finding this tire but I’m glad that I did. The reflective sidewall on this tire also comes in handy when riding at night.