"Official" 24" Muni Tire/Tyre Review Thread

Do it all tire for a 24"? Check out the Felt Berm Master 24x3. $25 direct from Felt.

Thanks Davidp. I didn’t see that I could get it directly from Felt.

By the way the kiniption reacts badly to road crown on the 42mm Nimbus rim but is much much better on the 47mm KH rim.

Another potential option, although not sure on cost and weight.

My neighbor just bought his daughter a Specialized Rip Rock 24, which has a 2.8"X24" Big Roller tire that would also work for Muni. Specialized doesn’t list them on their site yet, but if they are priced similar to the kids Ground Control Tires ($40) it should be relatively affordable.

Hi
The Specialized 2.8"X 24" Big Roller tire is how listed and in stock in New Zealand.
I have been looking to order one for my new (just ordered) KH24".

I’m back to Muni again :astonished:

Yes Sold my old Ti Muni 26" back in 2011 and have been away for Unicycling until my new one comes in the mail :slight_smile:

Kiwi Pete’s back to riding a Muni part time :roll_eyes:

Great PeterG! Congratulations on getting back to riding! Let us know how the big roller does. It looks way better than the 24" fat options out now.
Matt

I got a big roller 24x2.8 after seeing one on a friends sons bike. My view is that it is noticeably lighter than the Duro but also noticeably flimsier. I have to add I am on the big side, 6’2" and around 250lbs, so I put more strain on the tyre than many smaller riders will!

Listed weight for the tyre is just over half that of the Duro so the thinner and flexier sidewalls are to be expected, and if you are an average or light rider and don’t do big hops or drops it won’t be a problem.

The other thing I have found is the big roller reacts more to road crown/camber than the Duro. Not as bad as the maxxis hookworm or holy roller though. My daily after-work ride is mainly on gravel and dirt, but has a section of tarmac for maybe 300m and this is where I notice the auto-steer. On gravel it’s much less noticeable.

All in all I think it’s a good tyre, the issues I have with it have not been serious or annoying enough for me to swap it back to the Duro yet, and I hope that as my weight comes down I will come to like it even more!

Hope this review is helpful to someone.

While I’m here, and to save starting another thread, does anybody else with a nimbus 2 24" muni have issues with hitting their legs on the frame? Like every pedal revolution my leg hits the frame, to the point where i actually have a semi permanent bruise inside my calf. I’m thinking I might just buy an Oracle frame and hope the round crown will cure the problem as it doesn’t happen on my 19", 29" or 36".

Before I blow the £90 on a new frame has anyone got advice? Will the round crown be the answer?

Thanks, and sorry if I’ve done the wrong thing posting this question in the tyre reviews thread!

Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tires/big-roller/117678

Only $25- I’ll be getting one to try!

Is it one side or both knees? I’ve hit one knee consistently only to notice my seat was slightly crooked.

It’s worse on the right leg, but it is both sides. I might also take my brake (magura hs33) off to see if it’s actually the frame or the brake that my leg hits. I can’t really check while riding because I reckon I would fall off! Both my bigger unis have disc brakes and the 19" has no brake.

Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too – a good deal at $8, I thought.

Sounds interesting! This could be a good alternative to the Duro. It saves 565g of weight. Size shall be nearly identical as the 3" Duro is only about 2.8" in real. The thread pattern looks less agressive but it has a nice round profile.

I’m looking forward to your testing results.

Has anyone testet it yet? How does it ride, compared to the Duro?

Well I have back ordered one for myself too
Due in stock next week in New Zealand but maybe two weeks away…
I also ordered and got a pair of Specialized 2FO flat shoes :slight_smile:

It’s friday night now and the weekend awaits to go Muni riding

Kiwi Pete
:astonished:

I have one in the post too! Hopefully it’ll arrive next week… Can’t wait to try it. I love the Duro, but that thing is heavy uphill!

It seems not to be available in Germany yet. I’m awaiting the response of my LBS tomorrow, maybe they know when it will be available.

Let us know. I’m getting mine from the US and if I like it, I want to know if I need to bring one back or if it’ll be available in Europe in the near future.

They did not receive a date of delivery yet. :frowning:

Hi there, have been reading this post in the last few days (awating my first 24’ wheel with a leopard tyre so I’m looking at what other tyres are out there for this size…) and that tyre sounds really interesting.

Not sure if it helps, but just to let you know that here in the UK that tyre (big roller 24x2.8) seems to be in stock and available in quite a few UK internet based shops (Europe shipping available in the ones I’ve found). They sell with an average price of £20 which to me sounds quite reasonable (considering I’ve just paid £65 for the 26x3 Knard tyre).

Cat bed?

If it doesn’t work out it can be used as a cat bed.

I got the Big Roller last week, and installed it yesterday afternoon. Today at lunch was the first test ride with it. I took it to a nearby trail that I ride regularly, so I can hopefully make a good comparison. My observations:

Size: the 3" Duro measures 2.7". The 2.8" Big Roller measures 2.7". So it’s pretty similar in size to the Duro. The tread pattern is similar to the Duro, but the knobs aren’t as big. I suspect it would not do as well in mud, but here in So Cal that’s not a concern of mine.

Weight: I don’t have an accurate scale to compare, but I will say the weight difference is very apparent. You can definitely feel the difference on long uphill grades.

Riding characteristics: Handling is VERY responsive. I hesitate to use the word “squirrelly,” but compared to the Duro, it definitely moves around easier. I’ve been riding the Duro at 15lbs, and I’m pretty used to it. Since this has obviously lighter sidewalls, I started out with 20lbs. The weight and stiffness of the Duro tends to carry it through a lot of surface variations. Not so much with the BR. I tended to over-correct a lot, and had to do a lot of “micro” corrections along the way. It has a slightly rounder profile than the Duro, so that probably makes it a little more responsive as well. (Riding surface – very dry hard-packed dirt and rocky single track and fire road. Very typical of So Cal trails.) So you have to pay a little more attention to your line. It tends to follow the path of least resistance a little more than the Duro. I made a couple of adjustments to the air pressure along the way, and ended up with 16lbs. I may go a little lower. I don’t do big drops, so I’m not expecting pinch flats. I’m going to do a specific “hop and drop” practice session tomorrow at lunch, so I’ll see how it compares in that area.

Conclusion: like everything else unicycle-related, it will take some getting used to. If I was doing mainly gnarly downhill runs, I don’t think I’d change from the Duro. But for the riding I do, so far I like it.
(My opinions only, YMMV.)