"Official" 24" Muni Tire/Tyre Review Thread

I’ve really enjoyed the Cyclops, on and off road. Like a Hookworm, it wants to slide out sideways on sand, deep mud, and loose snow but it’s light and nimble for a tire that size and rolls really well, and on firm surfaces it does fine. And it’s hard to argue with the price.

Yes. Can’t beat the price on the Cyclops. I will probably go that way unless someone has a great reason to go another way.

Maxxis High Roller 24x2.5 versus WildLife 24x3

My 24" muni came with a Kenda Kiniption and that has been my main unicycle I have been using for 2.5 years. I was still practicing with a fence beside me when I got it. I used that tire on sidewalks, school tarmac, groomed and not groomed outdoor trails. When it came time to replace it I was told that the Kniption has soft rubber. It did say “stickey” on it’s side. Using the Kniption on the tarmac wears it out too quickly. It’s meant just for dirt. For the variety of my uses a Maxxis High Roller 24x2.5 was recommended and that was what was put on.

Of course a new tire has better grip and I found that I could go up steeper inclines. It could grip varied terrain. I felt no guilt at all riding a km on the sidewalks before entering the ravine paths. Not just the groomed paths but some of the spur paths the kids have created. I used it in the winter on ice, through snow and on snow and ice. After a year of much riding it needed to be replaced. It was definitely better wearing than the Kniption. I was too new to riding to really comment on the Kniption but I really liked the High Roller.

A WildLife has been waiting in my basement for awhile but I also picked up a new High Roller. I finally decided to put on the WildLife as my winter tire. One has to be careful to be fair when comparing a new tire with a tire near the end of its life. The WildLife seems to grip the hills a little better. It seems to have a bit more traction on snow and ice. It feels squirmy on pavement but nicely planted on dirt. Maybe thats the psi. I’m hoping that the below freezing weather makes the rubber harder and less susceptible to wear but I mostly avoid pavement.

The problem I’m having with the WildLife is I’ll just have to use to for non-pavement use if I want to get some longevity out of it. Riding 3 to 5 miles out of town to get to some off road trails is no longer an option. I have to transport my uni there, ride my uni and then drive back. The muni has become a too specialized uni for my tastes. For 3/4s of the year I’ll use the High Roller except for the winter and “Special Events”. I haven’t used the WildLife enough to comment on the weight issue.

I recently picked up a Nimbus 29" uni with Big Apple Schwelbe tires and 125mm cranks. For riding on the road or the (easy) dirt trails that are groomed or former rail beds this is the proper weapon. And if you are limited to those situations why would you not use a 29" or 36" uni? The Big Apple grips well on these nice surfaces. (Add a little of snow and ice and it doesn’t.)

As has been said before there does not seem to be a huge choice for 24" tires. If what you are looking for is a tire that wears well and is pretty good in all situations (but not best) the Maxxis High Roller is a good choice for you.

Cheers - Terry O’Leary

My Unis …

Bedford ISIS mountain unicycle. 150mm Moment Cranks. WellGo metal pedals with big metal pins, Alex Rim (42mm wide ?). Currently have WildLife 24x3" tire, last tire was a Maxxis High Roller 24x 2.5 and before that a Kenda Kiniption. Fusion FreeRide seat with bumper/handle and no brakes.

I also have a Nimbus 29" with ISIS hub, Dominator 2 rim, Quax 125mm cranks. Big Apple Schwelbe 28x2.35 HS335 tire. Kenda Karma(?) tire on for the winter. WellGo metal pedals with big pins. Stock gel seat, bumper/handle and no brakes.

20" and 26".square tapered unis. The 26" - Torker LX - has a horrible stock seat compared to KH Fusion seats and Nimbus Gel seat.

Thanks Terry for the report on the kiniption and the high roller. I just bought a 24" wheel set from Humblbee that comes with a kiniption. Too bad it wears fast on paved surfaces as that is mostly what it will see. When I wear it out maybe I will try a high roller, Cyclops or…

No knobby tire was ever designed for pavement. If your a true muni rider knobbies all the way. And I mean downhill not flatland super hard packed park forest preserve trails. Otherwise you must compromise with a street patterned tire.

Do it all tire for a 24"? Check out the Felt Berm Master 24x3. $25 direct from Felt.

Thanks Davidp. I didn’t see that I could get it directly from Felt.

By the way the kiniption reacts badly to road crown on the 42mm Nimbus rim but is much much better on the 47mm KH rim.

Another potential option, although not sure on cost and weight.

My neighbor just bought his daughter a Specialized Rip Rock 24, which has a 2.8"X24" Big Roller tire that would also work for Muni. Specialized doesn’t list them on their site yet, but if they are priced similar to the kids Ground Control Tires ($40) it should be relatively affordable.

Hi
The Specialized 2.8"X 24" Big Roller tire is how listed and in stock in New Zealand.
I have been looking to order one for my new (just ordered) KH24".

I’m back to Muni again :astonished:

Yes Sold my old Ti Muni 26" back in 2011 and have been away for Unicycling until my new one comes in the mail :slight_smile:

Kiwi Pete’s back to riding a Muni part time :roll_eyes:

Great PeterG! Congratulations on getting back to riding! Let us know how the big roller does. It looks way better than the 24" fat options out now.
Matt

I got a big roller 24x2.8 after seeing one on a friends sons bike. My view is that it is noticeably lighter than the Duro but also noticeably flimsier. I have to add I am on the big side, 6’2" and around 250lbs, so I put more strain on the tyre than many smaller riders will!

Listed weight for the tyre is just over half that of the Duro so the thinner and flexier sidewalls are to be expected, and if you are an average or light rider and don’t do big hops or drops it won’t be a problem.

The other thing I have found is the big roller reacts more to road crown/camber than the Duro. Not as bad as the maxxis hookworm or holy roller though. My daily after-work ride is mainly on gravel and dirt, but has a section of tarmac for maybe 300m and this is where I notice the auto-steer. On gravel it’s much less noticeable.

All in all I think it’s a good tyre, the issues I have with it have not been serious or annoying enough for me to swap it back to the Duro yet, and I hope that as my weight comes down I will come to like it even more!

Hope this review is helpful to someone.

While I’m here, and to save starting another thread, does anybody else with a nimbus 2 24" muni have issues with hitting their legs on the frame? Like every pedal revolution my leg hits the frame, to the point where i actually have a semi permanent bruise inside my calf. I’m thinking I might just buy an Oracle frame and hope the round crown will cure the problem as it doesn’t happen on my 19", 29" or 36".

Before I blow the £90 on a new frame has anyone got advice? Will the round crown be the answer?

Thanks, and sorry if I’ve done the wrong thing posting this question in the tyre reviews thread!

Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tires/big-roller/117678

Only $25- I’ll be getting one to try!

Is it one side or both knees? I’ve hit one knee consistently only to notice my seat was slightly crooked.

It’s worse on the right leg, but it is both sides. I might also take my brake (magura hs33) off to see if it’s actually the frame or the brake that my leg hits. I can’t really check while riding because I reckon I would fall off! Both my bigger unis have disc brakes and the 19" has no brake.

Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too – a good deal at $8, I thought.

Sounds interesting! This could be a good alternative to the Duro. It saves 565g of weight. Size shall be nearly identical as the 3" Duro is only about 2.8" in real. The thread pattern looks less agressive but it has a nice round profile.

I’m looking forward to your testing results.

Has anyone testet it yet? How does it ride, compared to the Duro?

Well I have back ordered one for myself too
Due in stock next week in New Zealand but maybe two weeks away…
I also ordered and got a pair of Specialized 2FO flat shoes :slight_smile:

It’s friday night now and the weekend awaits to go Muni riding

Kiwi Pete
:astonished:

I have one in the post too! Hopefully it’ll arrive next week… Can’t wait to try it. I love the Duro, but that thing is heavy uphill!

It seems not to be available in Germany yet. I’m awaiting the response of my LBS tomorrow, maybe they know when it will be available.