"Official" 24" Muni Tire/Tyre Review Thread

Yeah, the On One 24 x 4" could be fun, finally a use for the Surly 24" frame and rims. It would be a nice small wheel option for an Oregon.

Don’t expect a lightweight tire though, On One is probably using the same carcass as the Devista8or, so it’ll be ~1500gms.

I like fat tires, but they are lot of tire to push. I’m moving more toward narrower (2.4) enduro tires because they are faster and more precise, but still burly enough to take hits.

Someone needs to get one of those 24 x 4"!!

Got a extra wide hub Ben? I’d build a fat 24 :wink:

Thanks for that! You make an excellent point about how our abilities and circumstances and interests change over time, and how that affects the roles of different sizes.

I think the Halo Twin-Rail looks interesting too. I love the lime green and pink colors.

I was chatting with the guys at the bike shop today and they mentioned that you can still get the Kenda Flame cruiser tire (K1008) in 24"x3". Have you looked at that one? A few older topics on this site that mention that tire, maybe not enough to go on really. It sounds like it’s pretty cushy, even too soft possibly, but might be a contender for street/trials.

The Kenda Flame is OK for cruising. I didn’t like it in the least for trials. The sidewalls are really thin and the tread profile is weird. It’s convex in the middle and concave on the sides. It’s a very strange consistency.

Thanks! Good to know about that.

Arrow Racing Launch, 24" x 2.35"

Anybody out there tried the Arrow Racing Launch, 24" x 2.35", for street/urban riding? See the Launch tire at: http://www.arrowracing.com/home.html

It has an interesting bidirectional ramped small block tread pattern, and a reasonably strong but flexible sidewall (60 tpi). Rubber comes in at 62 duro, for what should be a good compromise between grip and longevity.

I picked one up last weekend for $35 from my LBS (Go-Ride.com) and am trying to decide whether I should keep it without the benefit of actually riding it on the roads & trails (“try it and you buy it”).

My observations (without having actually ridden the tire out side the house):

Spec. weight is 890 g. Actual weight was 1,040 g.

Mounted on an old-style 42 mm rim and pressured up with 20 p.s.i. the tire width (at the widest point lug-to-lug) is indeed 2.35".

The cross-sectional curvature is a little more rounded than I’d like, but at 20 p.s.i. it flattens out nicely due to several concentric linear cuts in the tread pattern that are aligned with the direction of travel. The tread looks really good for hardpack trails, but may wear excessively on pavement because the knobs are tiny (albeit numerous).

The sidewalls seem a bit thin compared to the Duro Wildlife, but are less flimsy than the Felt Berm Master, and substantially less flimsy than the Kenda Flame 24" x 3", and seem to be suitably strong for unicycling. (BTW, the Launch is made for Arrow Racing by Duro. How can I tell? “Duro” is molded in to the sidewalls).

As expected, the Launch doesn’t have a ton of volume, but I’m pretty sure that if it’s run at 20+ p.s.i. there’s enough volume to avoid rim hits and pinch flats. (Vertical height off the rim is about 1.625" as compared to about 2.3" for the Berm Master and Duro Wildlife – both 24" x 3.0" tires.)

So, has anyone ridden this tire?

(Ben, you mentioned it here: The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page , but I couldn’t tell if you’d actually ridden it. Here’s what you wrote: 24" Arrow Racing Launch 2.35" Good all around hard surface tyre, not a lot of volume, more of an XC trye, medium soft rubber, fairly lightweight, good construction. A good tyre for XC and lighter folks who don’t need a superduty tyre.)

If anyone has ridden this tire for street / urban, I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance for the input.

-UPD in Utah

Just wanted to let you know, that the Duro Razorback has the same pattern as the Wildlife but with less weight and more wear resistance.
See here.

Has anybody weighted a Razorback yet?

[Much time passes.] I’ve got the CST Cyclops on my 24" Sun now, riding pavement and some easy trails on it, and I’m really happy with it. It feels nimble and rolls well and it’s just generally fun to ride. Hard to beat the price too.

I try to revamp the thread…
I have just found this website, it has some tyres i’ve never heard about:

I like the look of this “Maxxis Swamp Thing”
What do you think? have someone tried some of these tyres?

Nice catch SuperFunk.

There is also the High Roller Kris mentioned a couple of times. It is in 24x2.5 and not 24x2.7 but still good.

Let’s hope they have a good stock or suppliers and they have good shipping rates :wink:

I used one on a mountain bike; I think it might be an OK muni tire. Very sturdy sidewalls, and the rubber was a sticky slow rebound type.

But it didn’t last very long - I had problems with the knobs tearing off. That problem might be even worse on a unicycle.

I’ve used the swamp thing for muni, great tire for wet, slippery stuff in the summer and ice and snow in the winter. I really liked the casing, plenty stiff, good feel. I found it to be too grabby on dry asphalt. Really not good on dry pavement.

lightweight alternatives

Greetings all,

It’s been a while since there’s been much activity on this thread. I’ve been looking at lightweight alternatives to the Duro Wildlife Leopard. Seems like the Maxxix High Roller 24x2.50 at 1080g (approx. $70USD) and The Schwalbe Fat Albert 24x2.40 at 695g (also approx $70) are the current best choices. Anyone have opinions on these, and/or other alternative suggestions? Reviews on the mtb forums seem to say that the Maxxis is stickier and has more rolling resistance.

Cheers!

I offered the Fat Albert to a friend of mine to replace his Duro. It really makes for a different muni way more nimble & lighter. Of course, you trade the strength of the Duro for more technique as the Fat Albert absorbs less but it is a fun change.

I haven’t been able to ride it more than just in a parking lot so I cannot comment about the change. However, we went goofing around in stairs and it was doing good considering the lighter casing (for a 80 kg / 176 # rider).

I will try and report more when I get to visit him (to be scheduled… :smiley: ).

About 30euro/dollars.
Apparently they don’t ship outside Poland.
Is there any Polish rider, that’s so kind to help me with that?

Please?

Stefan of Einradshop.ch has it.
https://www.einradshop.ch/einrad-shop/en/24-pneus/156-schwalbe-fat-albert-24x-240-faltreifen-695g.html
ask him about the shipping costs

Or ask one of our polish riders. Maybe vookie.

I put the Crazy Bob 24x2.35 onto the UDC 24" freestyle rim (26mm wide, internal / 30mm wide external)
Unfortunately I must have received a bad one with a fault.
The bead split away from the sidewall after a few minutes riding at 60PSI.

The Ebay seller has yet to respond, hopefuly Schwalbe will provide some goodwill.
Lesson learn’t = buy from high street shops, or reputable online dealers who take returns.

It looked great, gripped well (maybe too well) and rolled nicely.
On the downside the beading and sidewall was wafer thin for a 1,000g tyre.

I would like to try another Schwalbe to make sure they are OK - but I won’t be paying for one if they are not suitable for the rim.

The Ebay supplier has offered a full refund.
Now I need to pick a lightweight, dual purpose road / off road tyre.

Halo choir boy lite 2.35 / DMR Moto Digger 2.35 / Kenda Krad 2.3 / Schwalbe table top 2.25.

Spotted on a Norco Bigfoot 4.3 fat bike:

http://www.djsboardshop.com/p-89584-chao-yang-fat-bike-tire-24-x-4in.aspx
Chao Yang Fat Bike Tire 24 x 4in

Anything new and/or interesting about this one?