Non UDC companies

The nimbus i rode had better quality than my torker so they are very quality for a good price

I see what you’re saying about the cheap vs. inexpensive thing, I thought it was clear what I meant but I guess not.

On durability or weight, on my unicycle, I think I’ve pretty much optimized the durability to weight ratio, I rarely break parts (except seatposts, spokes, and pedals, those are just unavoidable), but my unicycle is pretty light. Overall there’s not much I would change about my unicycle even if cost wasn’t a factor.

+1

Off topic

Apologies for being off topic, but as a lawyer I just wanted to say - Julia you are an extremely tenacious and skilled advocate. (15!)

I don’t know enough about the relative merits of the various makes of unicycles and components at issue to give any worthwhile assistance to this thread, but I am enjoying reading it. And for what it’s worth I am a content and loyal customer of UDC UK who provide excellent advice and service.

Hmm, really?

My Cr-Mo Yuni frames only cost me $40 and they’ve outlasted many KH frames.

I’ve also got an original Coker frame with a rim brake from a junked 10 speed and it’s survived several thousand km of riding including a trip halfway around the world. That brake setup alone has outlasted several Magura setups.

Granted, I ride with people that break their equipment a lot… but we’re riding the same terrain.

If anything, you spend more to get less… weight. But I’ll take an extra pound or two for the added years of reliability.

You can answer part of this: why haven’t you tried one?

Among other things, the street aesthetic is heavily influenced by the perception of coolness. If it’s not perceived as cool, street riders won’t do it.

I will NOT post any comments about the “great” riders not using nimbuses and how chances are they owe there skills to the unicycles they first had which were most deffiently cheaper, but i bet they rember that unicycle and the things they did on it better than the expensive ones they probably now own. i sure rember my first unicycle and the stuff i could do on it.
and rember a unicycle is only as good as the rider. or post ANYTHING that could get me in trouble :slight_smile:

Too true tholub too true NIMBUS IS COOL :slight_smile:

ok, I will have to admit it, I was misstaken. Nimbus only produce cheap products, that are weak and only suitable for beginners… especially with street unicycles.

Thanks, I hate getting dragged into these things though :o

3ish years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about unicycling. My friend and I saw a video of a guy doing street/trials. We decided to both learn to do that, and after we learned to ride we decided it was time to get trials unicycles. Knowing nothing about unicycling and wanting to make an informed decision, I found this website. For a while I lurked around, looking at old threads and watching others videos. Eventually I narrowed it down to either a Nimbus or a Koxx One. I looked into them both. I read many threads about Nimbus, and the majority opinion seemed to be that the cranks were weak, the rim was too narrow, the seat too thick, and the seatpost was weak and not standard as it was 25.4 not 27.2. The Koxx One threads discussed the not ISIS hub and terrible customer service. I looked through the video forum. No Nimbuses (Nimbi?) to be found, but tooons of people killing it on Koxx Ones. Finally I considered the aesthetics. I could get a fully custom, any color Koxx One unicycle from Renegade Juggling. Comparatively, Nimbus unicycles seemed plain and boring. Finally, I got a Koxx One.

Since then I’ve replaced every part of that first Koxx One. First it was the pedals. They were a death trap, I got some Odyssey Twisted PCs. Next the seatpost broke. As mentioned, Nimbus uses a 25.4 seatpost and my frame was 27.2, so I got a KH post. The Koxx One Devil frame was easily dented, as it was made with very thin tubing, and the sharp corners often hurt my knees. I wanted a new frame, but Nimbus was out because it has the same corners plus it takes the wrong size seatpost. I again got a KH, I always thought the blue looked sick, plus it was a bargain from Bedford at $125 (the 2007 frame). I’ve replaced the tire twice, I was happy with the TryAll and the opinion here is that it’s better than the Maxxis CC on the Nimbus. Next was the seat, My K1 cover was in tatters because I’d dropped it so much, and I got an Impact seat because it’s the thinnest seat. Finally was the wheel, I got a Mad4One wheel and it is amazing. I couldn’t ask for anything more, it’s extremely light, flips ridiculously fast, has Madapters for rolls, and feels really solid. I didn’t really consider a Nimbus wheel, because every time anyone posts a thread about a good upgrade for their Nimbus, the first thing everyone says is KH Moments because Ventures are weak.

Well, thats my unicycle’s life story. :slight_smile:

Your post is incoherent, based on the bits I deciphered I’m wondering why you have “great” in quotes?

ok… have we finished now. We did drift of the subject quite a bit there. :slight_smile:

Back to the origional question. Yes there are other places you can buy unicycles from other than Unicycle.com. Very few of them can give you the spread that they can though… I would recommend looking around and it really does depend on what country you are in. It is always possible to pick bargins up, the forum is a good place to ask advice.

Roger

You said it best yourself

Never said either of those things, simply that I rarely see a top rider on a Nimbus. I openly admit that I’ve never used a Nimbus, and base my opinions solely on what I’ve heard and read from others. Feel free to post a video link of someone actually using your product, or you can continue this argument with no concrete examples.

Since my first post I have only been addressing trials unicycles, I will not pretend to know anything about other disciplines.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually use that, the corners look like massive bruises waiting to happen though. As far as I can tell Triton is dominating the titanium frame market.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see your last post. Ending this is fine with me, writing these long posts is incredibly time consuming.

sorry im slightly drunk what i mean is it dosent matter how good your unicycle is it does not improve the rider only practice and fenessing of set up makes any diffrence. sorry about the inchorentness

this thred needs to die we have 2 very oppiniated sides . roger is a legend and has improved the sport 10fold he is very proud of what he does is a great designer and a genral good guy. julia b sounds like a great rider but has she ever designed and bulit a unicycle ? ever set a record ( you may of i dont know sorry if you have )
roger wins
i declare this thred dead and bad advertising

You may make whichever drunken conclusion that you would like based on our reputations. I have plenty of accomplishments, none of which have any business being listed here. Personal accomplishments do not an argument make. However, I must admit that Roger is more prestigious than I, as I am not a middle aged man squabbling with a teenage girl on the internet.

The outcome was quite clear to me, as one party continually misquoted the other and resorted to petty sarcasm rather than continue an intellectual debate, while the other continued to present concrete evidence. As I said, you can decide for yourself. I’m done posting here.

(Please don’t say something stupid and drag me back. Pleeeeeease.)

Starts with an “H”’, anyone?

The hardest thing about being young is not being old enough.

The hardest thing about being old is dealing with the not yet old enough :roll_eyes:

Hey Julia, your 2010 link is not working.

It worked for me.

Julia, I just watched a couple of your videos… much respect!

You need to post a pic of you and your uni on the “Unicycle Magnet” thread cause that uni has pulled you deep into this sport!

Roger, sorry for comparing udc to Walmart, it wasn’t entirely accurate, though I wasnt comparing quality but the actual service provided. I may not have stated that I do think udc produces great quality unicycles, partially because I was thinking of trials and street, which are dominated other companies, and this was a post about other retailers. I really enjoy udc service and everything they have done. I generally buy from them unless they don’t stock the product I am looking for.

link works for me

“cheap” vs “inexpensive” seems like an oversight, not necessarily an insult but it did merit clarification. I am a fan of Nimbus and agree it’s great bang for buck and a genuinely good rig. The perceived insult is not much different than the perception that all good sponsored riders ride the best rigs. That’s the impression that is being attempted, and it works. I am not surprised that the folks that are good are pushing good stuff, and effectively convince their peers of it. Nimbus stands on its rep for quality value and service without sponsoring riders.
I like threads that challenge these impressions, and once the air is clear, there is a better understanding of the products. I like criticism, since it’s just an excuse to explain how good products actually are, or point out the faults to overcome. Every complaint is an opportunity to improve or showboat good stuff. the best part is when everyone actually remains relatively adult about the provocative on topic debate! This stuff is good to know and talk about.

I highly doubt that that is the strongest wheel set on he market. those cranks alone are just as weak as cotter less cranks in my opinion, i best them on my friends unicycle the first time i rode it. Also i presume that rim is 42mm wide (Like all nimbus rims) its inferior to 47mm rims, riding low tire pressure is disaterouse, and you get pinch flats very often. I love my unicycle its all KH QX and Mad4one parts, its just about 4 KH’s and nearly invincible. Julia really knows what shes talking about.

I just wanted to add my completely unnecessary comments:

• Julia B is awesome!
  • UDC is awesome!
  • Renegade Juggling is awesome!
  • Nimbus unicycles are awesome!
  • As someone who's purchased 3 Nimbus unicycles, a K1, and a KH (plus various more generic models) I must say we live in an awesome time for unicycle choice!