Nimbus Shadow Handle first impressions

I have had mine for almost 3 weeks now and have had to tighten it twice in the first week. Although it hasn’t come loose since the last time I tightened it, and I’ve also had my 2 worst upds since then so i don’t know what’s up lol

My first and last impression on the handle!

Yesterday I went riding Trials in Montreal and Hugo came on his new Nimbus Shadow uni with the Handlebar, so I tried it!:smiley:

Anyway, I liked it, he had set it up to the longest point possible. I dont know if it’s just me but it didn’t looked really stiff IMO. Even at the longest point I would’ve liked it a little longer again. Anyway, that’s my really small review, I’ve only rode it like 10 minutes anyway… I like my handle better though.

It is interesting that this is coming loose. I can not give you an instant answer as to why it is coming loose. I have been testing the handle for over 6 months and only had to tighten once. That was after a couple of days of riding and I had just not tightened it enough.
I agree that locktite should deal with it. This is what it is designed to do. I am as I say puzzled why it is needed though.
As I find out more I will come back to everyone.

Roger

While we have your attention, Roger…

I would love to be able to buy the individual pieces of the Shadow handle, like one more straight T-bar, or just the seat-post portion, etc. Any plans to sell the bits separately?

+1
I would like to know if parts will be available too

You could get the seat post itself easily at a shop that sells BMX parts.

I would also like to get my hands on some T-bars but they would be for my own handles.

I wonder if anyone has stuck a curved handle from the Shadow in a KH T-bar yet.

Ah yes, thanks Eric. But, my mistake, I meant the seat-frame or base portion.

Is the diameter of the T-bar the same at that for the KH handle?

it’s probably not problem on the German model : P

UDC NZ sells the seperate parts: http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/unicycle-parts/saddle-parts

They are available through the UK, but not on the site yet. It will be 8 days before we get them up, but if you want them just call.

Roger

Suggestion for Impulse with Shadow

One more piece that I would have liked to see come in the Impulse with Shadow kit is a straight (i.e. no T) short (5" should do so 4 inches stuck in leaves 1 inch sticking out) so that we would have an option to mount the brake lever directly under the seat without using the Shadow handlebar. Might seem silly to you pros but the Impulse was my first 36er and I fully intended on “practicing” a bit before I installed the Shadow but, during initial assembly, I found the circumference of the seat base too large for the brake lever and not wanting to tinker with removing the brake cable (I’m a bit mechanically challanged) I was left with no choice but to install the Shadow on day one. Of course, it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned to ride it with my left hand glued to the handlebar the way it should be. But two weeks later and intensely focused on learning to free (Static, Jump, Roll) mount this beast it would be nice to remove the handle for a couple days so that I can cheat by reaching over with my right hand and holding the wheel still to mount. Just a thought.

Wow, that’s quite a bold investment for not having ridden a 36er before!
Anyhow, here’s a thought: Just remove the entire brake caliper and the shadow handle. Should just be a couple screws holding on the caliper, no need to mess with the cable, and ought to be easy to re-install (with one replacement zip/cable-tie). I can’t imagine you’ll have any need for the brake while you’re focusing on practicing free mounts.

If I understand what you’re saying, you could just go to any bike shop and get a 22.2mm seatpost for $5 and then cut a bit off and file it down for the brake lever.

Do bike shops have 22.2 posts? I thought that was a unicycle oddity. 22.2 is a standard handlebar diameter (at the hand ends, not the middle) and is also the size of most non-ergo bar-ends. It shouldn’t be hard to find some 22.2mm tube around somewhere with bike odds and ends.

Sam

My LBS does, but it has loads of old parts in their basement.

After riding my Shadow Handle-equipped KH29 Guni on a good, long ride, complete with a couple sprawling UPDs, I can give it some more review. I have it set up with the straight bar, uncut. It could still be longer, but I’ve got mine stuck into the seat base all the way, and I believe there are a few inches of play to lengthen it even more.

The riding position is certainly not like a flat-back cyclist in full aero-bar position, but more like a comfy hybrid-bike riding position. On the road or easier XC (like the race) I spend most of my time riding with both hands on the bars. I don’t like that forward position for climbing, but grabbing the straight bar closer to the seat, or even just the seat handle, easily solves that problem.

I like where the brake is placed (see pic below); it’s easy to reach and use.

UPDs: a couple times, on the bumpier, rockier bits of the dirt road in this race, I mismanaged the brake-lever - squeezed too much, too little, too much, then flying UPD! :astonished:

Those times I couldn’t catch the uni, it whammed done right onto the bar-ends. Besides scooping up a little sand, the only negative result was that in the hardest crash, the straight bar twisted about 10 or 15 degrees in its clamp. I was quickly able to twist it back straight and get back underway immediately.

I give this bar top marks for versatility and durability. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update. Looks like a nice set-up!
And congrats again on the race.

Broken

Last night, I was riding up a steep hill, and torquing up on the handle when something gave, and suddenly it felt I was pulling the seat up under me. The Shadow handle makes the seat beautifully stiff, and suddenly all that stiffness was gone. I thought I was going to have to call for a ride, but, by carefully sliding the tube back together, and not pulling up on the handle AT ALL, I was able to gingerly ride the thing home.

funny normaly a welding never break - it always breake aside :thinking:

Hmmm. Maybe a defective weld?