Nimbus Oracle 29/26 would this work?

Swiss ArMuni? Yeah, I like it!

Once this project gets underway I will post it with pictures and make it fun. It’ll probably be 2 months before it happens. Keep an eye out for the Swiss Army build thread. It should be fun.

Glenn

@ben do you know if your 32in wheel fits in a Oregon frame?

Check out the ‘Show us your 36er’ thread. Last or 2nd to last page. Not sure if it’s a Oregon frame but sure looks like it with a 36.

Glenn

You’re probably referring to the no longer produced “nightrider” frame, I consider it the Oregon’s cousin.

Yup you are right. I think the nightrider looks great.

I’m intending to build one soon, I’ve got a frame that I bought from UDC UK. I want to try putting a 29er muni wheel in it but I don’t think there is enough clearance. Dose anyone know?

Should be enough

I would think it’d have plenty of clearance.

IMO, I wish UDC wouldn’t have gotten rid of the nightrider frame. That was by far my favorite 36er design, but by the time I could afford one, they had stopped selling them. Now the frames themselves are getting scarce and aren’t even available in the US.

It can be frustrating when I want to get a product that I know UDC US used to carry, but for some reason don’t anymore, when it’s still available at UDC UK. Yeah, I know I can order from UDC UK, but don’t want to deal with shipping.

It’s easy, you send them an email with your name, address, phone number and the specific items you want to buy and they send you a bill including shipping. If you will pay that much shipping, you pay for it otherwise say no thanks.

Yeah, I know you gotta email them, but I’m not going to pay to ship something overseas. It’s not worth it IMO.

Okay that does make sense, but mine only cost ~$105 with shipping.

You could buy mine :wink:

I have one with the disc brake tab welded to the frame, nice flat black color, comes with a tubeless Todd set up on a D2 rim, Oregon hub…

It ain’t cheap, but it’s a nice ride :slight_smile:

My project will be getting underway soon. I purchased a Kh 36 frame and 2 sets of Moment cranks 137 and 150 on sale for a price that made me smile. First wheel build will be a 29 2nd wheel will be 36. Since this is a scratch build I can use any parts I like. I would like suggestions for hubs, rims and spokes. I like Nurse Bens suggestions about symetrical hub lacing and Spirit cranks. I like the Nimbus domintor 2 in blue but mtb rims like the Sun mxr 33 are known to be tuff as well and cheaper. I do weigh 200 so it must be bomb proof. Kh rims are OK but I’m worried that mud will get into the lightening holes. I got the moments cheap and plan to switch to Spirits with the outboard brake for the final version. I’m not opposed to the Nimbus cromo hub 36. This will be a budget build but common sense will trump being a cheapskate.
Thanks Glenn

Hey Glenn, you will love the two wheel - one uni set up!

As to rims, I prefer lighter weight, so the compromise is a narrower rim (35mm). The Dominator 2 rim is strong and doesn’t have cut outs, but it is also heavy at ~ 950gm in a 29"; KH is ~750gm, Velocity P35 is ~500gm.

The Sun rim you mentioned is only 29mm wide, the “Estate” dirt jump rim is 33mm, but I don’t know that it comes in anything other than 26". The widest mtb rim without cutouts appears to be the Velocity P35 (Blunt 35) which is what I am running on my 29" and 650b.

As little as $80 for a 32h:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=velocity+blunt+29&_osacat=0&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xvelocity+blunt+35+29"&_nkw=velocity+blunt+35+29"&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If you want to run 32 hole hubs, you cannot use KH Or Nimbus rims “yet”.

I’m all about running tubeless, so if you think you’ll swing that way, then avoid cut out rims.

The only 36er rim worth considering at this time is the Dominator 2, it is strong and works great for tubeless, you can get black or green, but only in 36h :frowning:

Once you have your rig up and running, be sure and post pics.

Are you getting the KH frame with the disc brake tab?

Are you going to run a Tood 36er tire?

For a 29 rim I’m looking at this. Supposed to be the strongest mtb rim available. A little heavy but still less than the Dominator2. It’s also a bit narrower at 33mm. Available in 32 or 36 hole. Probably I will stick with 36h .

No brake tab that I am aware of. I think it’s last year’s model and I got it for a c-note. On clearance so the shop could start selling the latest kh frames. Municycle.com

On a side note my wife started riding my Nimbus 24 and she is doing good so I’m going to build this Kh asap.

For the 29 hub I’m thinking the 36h nimbus cromo. It’s cheap smooth quiet and it works but I’m open to suggestions.

When I build the 36 I will use whatever tire is best. I don’t know a thing about 36er 's. At my skill level it’s something I will have to really practice.
Glenn

The mtx33 rim has been purchased. My LBS ordered a pair of them for me. Price was as good as anything I could find on the Internet.

If it’s good enough for this guy it’s good for me

Seat post? Hub? Seat will be kh freeride I guess. Gotta get stuff ordered quick so I can start building next week :slight_smile:

Tire will be a Kenda Nevegal 29 X 2.2 60tpi not that it’s good but I have it on hand. It’ll do for now.
Glenn

Glenn,

I have a used Hans Dampf 29" if you’re interested.

Pm sent.

I ordered most of the rest of the stuff today. Nimbus cromo 36 hub, El cheapo alloy seatpost and a kh blue freeride seat. All of my wheel stuff will be from my LBS. Great old-school bike shop in biz since the 70’s. Owned and operated by ex racers that still have the passion and are current on all the new stuff. And they sell unicycles!

Here is what I ended up with, KH 36 with a 26 wheel to start with. In the next couple of months I will be lacing up a 36 and 29 for it. Thanks for the encouragement especially NurseBen and Saskatchewanian for telling me that it would work. I’ll list more details in the show us your latest project thread soon.

Thanks everyone

Glenn