Nimbus Oracle 29/26 would this work?

I’m looking to get an Oracle 26 for Muni. Then I had the idea of getting an Oracle 29 and building a 26 inch wheel to use in the 29 frame. I don’t know if this is a good idea or not. I do know that one uni and one extra wheel would fit nicely in the trunk of my car. And I could set up each wheel for different terrain and swap wheels as needed. Thinking 26 for Muni and 29 for Xc rail trails and pavement . Change wheels adjust seat and go. So my question is would a 26 wheel set up for Muni work in the 29 frame? Would knee strikes be an issue? Frame rigidity? In my mind I think it might work but I don’t know.

I already have a 24 and a secret slush fund has been established for my future 36 but for now let’s talk about this 29/26 Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde thing that I have been thinking about.

Thanks Glenn

Nurse ben does it quite a bit. No problems that I know of.

With most tyres when I try them I measure up to others and find a lot if not all are less than 3 inch difference between 26 and 29 in height. They are quite close in outside tyre diameters

Sure, it would work fine, it just makes a higher-crowned frame than usual for your 26" version. The hub is in the same place either way, so no need to change seat position, no reason to expect hitting your knees with the 26 wheel if you were OK with the 29 wheel. Might have more frame flex than a dedicated 26" frame, but I doubt it would matter, and it certainly wouldn’t add flex to the 29" version (since the smaller wheel is more rigid).

The disc brake makes the Oracle a pretty convenient choice to do this; it wouldn’t work conveniently with a rim brake.

But we need quick release wheels to really take advantage of swappable wheels!

Nurse Ben does/did? that with an oregon all the time, it should work.

Works fine, just use the same bearing spacer, rotor, and cranks. Plug and play.

I have a 29" Oracle, two wheels (29, 650b) & I am building a 26".

Three wheels one uni :slight_smile:

My main ride is a 26 in a 29" frame, it works great as far as I am concerned. At CMW a few years ago I rode a 26" wheel in my 36" frame since I was having trouble with the brake setup on my smaller frame. It worked just fine and was a little bit more comfortable to throw over the shoulder and carry up “impossible” sections.

+1

used 24" wheel in KH29 frame
then KH26" wheel in th same frame
I still haven’t got any 29" wheel but the door is open…
I don’t see how you will have knees hits with round crown oracle. :roll_eyes:

+10 :smiley:
some thing like this with locking cam lever in spite of butterfly nut

Thanks everyone. The ability to have many wheels and only one uni seems so cool to me. I was at NAUCC where I got to see people packing umpteen unicycles into and out of their cars. I was hoping wheel swapping would work. Eric your 36 with the 26 wheel sounds crazy. I like it. Ben I forgot about the 650 l want to try that some day. And no seat adjustment that’s great.

I saw Nimbus’ new one piece cromo hub with internal rotor attachments at NAUCC. It looks good and solid. Josh @ UDC said that they should be available soon. I will make my purchase then. I am so looking forward to this. My wife is learning how to ride too so we will need another uni soon.

Thanks Glenn

Thanks everyone. The ability to have many wheels and only one uni seems so cool to me. I was at NAUCC where I got to see people packing umpteen unicycles into and out of their cars. I was hoping wheel swapping would work. Eric your 36 with the 26 wheel sounds crazy. I like it. Ben I forgot about the 650 l want to try that some day. And no seat adjustment that’s great.

I saw Nimbus’ new one piece cromo hub with internal rotor attachments at NAUCC. It looks good and solid. Josh @ UDC said that they should be available soon. I will make my purchase then. I am so looking forward to this. My wife is learning how to ride too so we will need another uni soon.

Thanks Glenn

Whats new about it?

Wait to see :wink:

Until recently, all hubs we at least two pieces, a hub body and a spindle,
they were “keyed” and glued. Squeaky hubs started becoming more common, so UDC began making one piece chromoly hubs, the first of which was the 32h, followed by the 36h and 48h, now the disc hubs are going to be one piece.

The advantage is strength and reliability, worth waiting for…but why not build a symetrical wheel and use Spirits? I was not a fan of Spirits until I got some, now I’m converting to Spirits on all of my unis, makes for a stronger wheel, also easier to build and maintain. And, you can add a Schlumpf :smiley:

You know that I am laughing heartily right now right? I have yet to make the switch from bike-crank/MU-rotor to Spirit-crank/bike-rotor myself.

But yah, as long as your disk brake setup is consistent wheels are quite interchangeable.

Sorry for the off topic but does this mean the older hubs would go on sale?

Maybe / maybe not. UDC might just build and sell unis until their stock is depleted. Then release the new hubs. I’m guessing of course but that would make the most sense business wise.

Also from what I saw the new hub looks like the Oregon hub. Pretty boring to look at if you like bling but perfect if you understand mechanical things. The older design is nicer looking but the new design will be more robust and quiet.

I have had to creaky hubs so I’m so ready for this

[QUOTE=Nurse Ben;1597128… but why not build a symetrical wheel and use Spirits? I was not a fan of Spirits until I got some, now I’m converting to Spirits on all of my unis, makes for a stronger wheel, also easier to build and maintain. And, you can add a Schlumpf :D[/QUOTE]

Have a rotating meat slicer that close to my ankle bone gives me the heebie jeebies. With my luck I’d cut my foot off and damage the rotor at the same time :o Schlumpf would be neat but I have a long way to go and a lot of learning ahead of me before I can even think about geared.
Glenn

I rode dh with a disk with lots of jumping and never hit it