Nimbus (disc brake) Oracle MUni

BAR?

I looked up the conversion for us “other side of the ponders”

1.0 BAR equals 14.5psi

You guys run a ton of pressure, that has got to make for firm riding, max pressure I have ever run was on an RR 2.4 ~ 1.5 BAR, I weigh 86kg.

In terms of the Oracle rim, Josh at UDC said that the difference from 47mm (KH Freeride) to the 42mm Oracle is insignificant, but Kris said he noticed the difference. Personally, I like a wide rim, have even ridden a Surly LM (65mm) with a Duro 3" which made for a very nice ride other than the excess weight of the rim.

I am suprised more folks don’t ride DH with the Larege Marge, it spreads the tire out and makes the tire higher volume, and since you can get a disc hub, the rim brake width issue is no longer a problem.

Look for a lighter weight LM coming soon in 36h.

lol I normally do say PSI

Remember we are both on “skinny” old 31mm rims so are a lot more prone to snakebites

I am currently running at 1.45 (21 psi) on the 2.3 RubberQueen and weigh about 72kg so probably similar to your RR set up assuming you had a wider rim. at 1.7bar (24psi) the Conti is pretty hard and a bit bouncy off of trail obstacles (hence the drop to 21 psi).

I thought 14 psi on the 24x3" duro was pretty low :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell a lie I just checked it as I remembered letting a little air out before my last two rides and I have been running 1.3 bar (18.8 psi) :slight_smile:

It’s not low for a thick casing like the Duro, Arrow or Intense DH tires. I run 14-16 on my Arrow Savage 2.6, have run as little as 12 psi on a Duro Leopard 3", and I routinely run 8-10psi on my Devist8er and Larry.

I’d love to have a Duro Leopard, Arrow Racing Savage or Intense FRO DH in 29 x 2.6-2.7, it’d be well worth the extra weight, but alas it is not to be… :frowning:

It’s been a while, but is anyone riding a Try All Stiky 26 x 2.5?

I will keep dropping pleasure until I get issues!

I see we have turned another thread into a tyre discussion :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget they are using a 31mm rim; the 47mm KH rims are 50% wider. That’s a bigger difference than going from a KH rim to a LM.

Don’t forget Marco and Feisty are both using a 31mm rim; the 47mm KH rims are 50% wider. That’s will have a significant effect on usable tire pressures (it’s a bigger difference than going from a KH rim to a LM).

Don’t forget Marco and Feisty are both using a 31mm rim; the 47mm KH rims are 50% wider. That will have a significant effect on usable tire pressures (it’s a bigger difference than going from a KH rim to a LM).

Which begs the question: WHY?

I’m thinking of building a “super wheel” for my 26" wth an LM and a Duro 3" :slight_smile:

That is the coolest thing about the disc brake set up, I can have more than one wheel and change out for the seasons or use. Still expensive though, so I’m on hold until my 36er is off and running…

Speaking of which, it arrives today, which means big wheel muni this weekend!

Cause if you run a lower preasure theres a bigger possibility that the tire will fold over on angled surfaces or drops.

Why not? :smiley:

I believe we both wanted to build a lightweight MUni, I come from riding a ridiculously light Single Speed MTB (it was only 1.5 kg heavier than my KH26 and about the same as my KH24) so was keen to apply some weight weenism to my MUni

The light rim (which I don’t think is too narrow) is pretty strong and light and for XC and light MUni rides fantastically and spins up effortlessly so is a dream on the climbs. As I said in the Project thread the Rim Tyre ratio is almost the same as my 3" Duro on a Nimbus MUni rim on my kh24 (same as old KH I believe) and nobody stresses that that is a horrible combination?

I am very new to Uni riding but have two decades in MTB and come from an Engineering background and am a whore for new parts and tech so am not walking into this totally blind. To me the advantage of a light wheel is going to outweigh any stability issues which I am not a good enough rider to notice. I understand the nature of how we ride a single wheel effects a tyre differently to a bike and that ideally a wide rim is better but for me and my skill and type of riding the weight factor is more important.

So far this MUni is everything I could possibly want which is all that matters

At the end of the day it would be boring if we all ran the same setups:)

Yeah, but skinny rims look queer :stuck_out_tongue:

I almost went skinnier, but the KH rims just look so macho, and when I ride a unicycle i just need that little bit of extra ego boost, know what I mean :roll_eyes:

The only advantage of a wider rim is in maximizing tire volume, but it’s not that significant and if I had a second wheel for my 29er I might built up a skinny and run a narrower tire like 2.0

You should try running a Large Marge and a Duro 3", that Unigeezers 24" set up, I tried it on a 26"and it was a big ride and a nice flat profile, so super stable.

By that rationale just call me Seabiscuit :stuck_out_tongue:

I almost did get a LM on Oracle hub for my KH24 (although with the spoke holes so widely staggered from the center of the rim and the narrow Oracle disk side flange spacing the dish must almost be massive on that combination) but as the cost was almost the same as building a second KH26 which I thought would be better for my type of riding and was interested to see how it would turn out.

A LM setup does look monstrously cool though

With a wider rim you get a wider tire. This ultimately means that the agility of the unicycle will not be as high. The more muni I ride the more I like to be able to turn on a dime. This allows me to be able to ride super steep trails with lots of turns and technical terrain. Also you can find a lot stronger and lighter rims, unicycle rims seem to gone to shit with how strong they are. You constantly have to baby them so they can stay true. Nothing is wrong with higher pressure I say, you get less tire fold and its easy to roll and go fast. I find that speed is a lot better for getting over things than anything else.

So, when removing/installing the wheel, is there anything special you need to do with the disc brake? Like move or adjust?

nothing, disc is on the hub and D-brake is fixed on the bearing which is on the hub

so, put taking the wheel on and off is just like a uni without a d-break?

Yes, almost same; D-Brake needs some small caution while tightening.

As it’s planned for different frames (Nimbus, KH, QX, …), holes for bolts are oval, so needs first to find the right position by approaching the bolds and then needs to tighten first the bold on caliper fixations side; but this is not a big issue. I use blue Loctite glue to secure bolts tightening

I think I may have missed an important detail somewhere along the way.

One thing confused me a bit about the Oracle (and other disc break related threads). It almost sounded as if the day had finally arrived where people could get disc breaks for their unis. Couldn’t help but think… but the Impulse already has a disc break.

So is the Oracle a first in the sense that disc breaks are now available on smaller wheels or first in the sense that the break is much improved over the model featured on the Impulse?

Maybe I misread the whole thing and the anticipation was over the arrival of new stock and not necessarily due to the arrival of something totally new - with respect to breaks. I recognize that the Oracle with the new frame et al is something totally new.

Just trying to see if I missed a detail where a newer, better model of disc break has become available.

This is the first standard 100mm disc hub width the Oregon and Impulse were non standard 125mm so not retrofit-able to peoples existing frame.

I got mine the month the Hub was released and it is awesome :slight_smile: