Nightrider tire -- performance in the rain?

Where I live the winter rains have arrived in earnest, so I’ve been staying off the roads. The Nightrider tire has done very well on damp pavement, but I’m fearful about riding – esp. turning – at higher speeds when it’s actually raining hard.

The tire’s profile and deep siping pattern suggest that it would be OK, but
I’d like to hear from folks who have at least 100 rainy-weather road miles on this tire.

What is your experience?
Thanks!

(Bump)

Anybody…?

Q: Do you use the Nightrider on the pavements when it’s raining hard? If so, how does it perform?

Thanks!

It works fine, not sure why this is even a question.

Because unicycles can’t handle anything but smooth tarmac and gym floors, remember? :wink:

For what it’s worth, just about all road-going tyres (bike or uni) work fine in the rain, in fact the only reason racing bike tyres have any tread on them at all is usually to make people think it’ll be better in the rain. There’s a myth that a completely smooth tyre will ‘aqua-plane’ (IE. float to the surface of the water and provide zero grip) and cause you to eat tarmac, but it’s simply not true. Tyre manufacturers put small bits of tread on their super-slick race tyres because people just can’t get their head around rain not being that big a problem!

TL;DR: the Nightrider should be fine in the rain, it has more than enough tread to handle roads, rain and light off-roading :smiley:

Yes, works in rain ok. It was designed in the UK… :wink:

Well, if you break your hip on a fast road ride, spend 3 days in hospital, then 6 months with walker, cane, and pt, and end up with one leg shorter than the other, then maybe you would understand.

True that. I get it.

With over a thousand PNW rainy days on a Nightrider may I suggest you cautiously try it out.

The Nightrider does have the advantage of throwing less tire spray than the TA. Yet I’ve ridden many miles when the Nightrider threw tire spray over my head out to fall in front of me with me riding through it.

To save you asking how well the Nightrider will handle when wet snowy weather comes to the shores of the Salish Sea I suggest you be additionally careful testing it out. You might need to exercise more than normal caution when you attempt a self mount on wet snow or ice.

JM

PS - Do you know what follows three days of rain in Bellingham, WA ?

bungeejoe, thanks for your informative and thoughtful response; needless to say, you have tons of credibility on the subject.

In the snow

Here is a picture of Roy and I on 542 Mt. Baker near the top in an early spring blizzard above the Firs.

Our problem was the head wind gusts kept blowing us off.

JM

No problem with the rain and wet. Once it gets a bit colder and changes to slush, that’s when I find things to get a bit dicey for the Nightrider.

My favored 36" tire for snow and slush is the Todd. I really, really, really like the durability of the Nightrider though. Overall, it’s the 36er tire I’ve ridden the most (for thousands of miles in weather ranging from dry to slush and snow.)

The typical tire progression as the weather gets worse is: Nightrider-> Todd (snow or some slush)-> grab a bike. As noted above, sometimes the freemounting is tricky when the friction is low.

If it’s just wet and water (no mud), the Nightrider is fine.

Thanks, unigoat!

The Todd…

A little off subject but…

The Todd is a great tire. I like how it rides, corners, climbs, handles water, handles snow and ice, and plows through mud!

But I just didn’t like it being flat. It rides horrible flat. It doesn’t corner or climb flat either. When its flat I ended up walking in both rain and shine. If flat, it seems to always plow a very narrow double furrow in the mud.

unigoat, does your Todd ride better flat than mine did?

JM

on a better off related note. Bungeejoe are those road clips?

I’m not bungeejoe, but he’s a “famous” clipless rider. I believe this is a video of him:

Sorry to interrupt.

Bungeejoe asked, "PS - Do you know what follows three days of rain in Bellingham, WA ? "

Please post the answer…I’m dying to know :thinking:

Floods? That’s what happens down here.

…really? That’s interesting. I’ve never heard that. Seems reasonable, I guess, but then why are there regulations regarding tread depth on car tires? Aren’t treads designed to help generate traction under wet / snowy conditions? :thinking:

I’ve been to Bellingham…usually 3 more days of rain follow.
The place has 2 seasons: Damp and Wet.:smiley:

jona’s right! Another correct answer is “Monday”.

JM