Nextie 36" carbon rim

“Tubeless Ready” :slight_smile:

Alice emailed me back:

We feel really sorry about it!
Yes, we indeed use 60psi when we test the Hooked rim.
We use the Foss tube to test.
We use a mechanical simulation test and sure confirm the forces from riding would not cause a tire blow-off.
The tire on the tire with 60 PSI could last one week.

I wonder if they’d do a blow-off test for us with the setup they have and see what pressure they get up to before catastrophic failure.

1 Like

So they used the Schrader drilling not the Presta one.

Perhaps that type of tube had a bearing on reaching 60spi with the NR.

Still too many variables in my view to call this a saleable product.

For those interested:

I’m selling a Magic Money Tree Pot - made from carbon of course. Superb for growing these yet to be found, rare trees - but the pot is fully compatible with the future tree species. The pot can still be used in the interim to store your house keys or perhaps other small trees you can buy from your local tree sanctuary… Buy now to proof your future for when the future arrives … :smirk::deciduous_tree:

3 Likes

I’m following the discussion in the shadow… I already have 2 Braus rims. But today this rim is very expensive and hard to find… And sometimes I’m asked where to find a 36" carbon rim (I’m easily apologist for 36" carbon rims).

I admire the tenacity of some people for the development of this rim, including the Nextie brand. It’s really a shame that there are so many failures…

All of these problems reminded me of the explosions I experienced with my 29" several years ago. I was wondering if you were all aware of similar problems in 29". Here is a summary of the story:

About 8 years ago in France, the most common 29" unicycles were KH29 with the 47 mm rim (I guess it was more like 40 mm internal width). This rim was designed for off-road and low pressure riding, but more and more of us wanted to ride it on the road. So we equipped ourselves with slick tires (with Schwalbe big apple and supermoto tires in 2.35). At the beginning everything was fine, with a new tire, we could put a high pressure without any issues. But after a few months/years the explosions started to happen regularly. For example: I remember a participant of the French marathon championships whose tire exploded 5 minutes before the start. Or during a manifestation with cyclists in the city center, people thought there was a gunshot.

The first solution I found was to use a Maxxis (ikon, grifter, torch…) tire instead of Schwalbe, obviously the tolerance was not the same between the 2 brands (I could use narrower maxxis tires without any problem). But the Schwalbe tires were the lightest and the best rolling. In the end, I found a rim with an internal width of 28 mm. The only problem I had with this rim was that the tires that had been damaged by a blow out did not hold pressure better with this rim. Many of us have fitted this rim and no longer had any problems.

Blowouts are really traumatic. I must have had between 10 and 20 of them, a little less than half of them while I was on the unicycle.

It is certain that the occurrence of a blow out is multifactorial: the pressure, the tire tolerance, the internal width of the rim… a tire that has already been blown out, a deformed inner tube… At this time, it is difficult to quantify the impact of each factor. There are certainly also factors related to the rim (hooks?)…

In any case, I don’t have as much problem with the Braus rim. I had a heat related blow out with an NR lite tire. Since that this tire is unusable, I changed to a new KG ultimate that I inflate up to 50 psi and I have had no issues. Internal rim width seems to be a major difference, unless there are other significant differences between the Braus rim and the Nextie rim…

6 Likes

It is silent and feels smooth. There are no rumbling feeling due to the knobs in the tire - and I consider myself very sensitive to this. But I cannot make any comparisons to other 36" tires. It’s 5mm wider than the NR on the Nextie hookless rim as documented earlier (post 161/162) so there is a bit more volume.

It’s very tight. I try to avoid using tire levers if possible but for the T-Monster I had to use levers and I even broke a few tire levers in the process. I rebuild and remounted the tire a second time a day later and had the same experience again (see post 99). That might suggest a slightly smaller BSD or just a stronger (less stretchy) bead wire but that’s all speculation…

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: The forum didn’t work for a couple of hours today

If Nextie is actually serious about making a new 36er tire that’s compatible with their Unicorn rim, then we should definitely collaborate or at least submit recommendations regarding tread design, width, and with weight under 1,200g, if possible.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but the bike world should probably be worked with first as they’re more likely to be able to throw the money at it/order a reasonable volume of product, even as a niche item, as every product they sell has two of them.
We should probably then be involved through a unicycle manufacturer rather than on an individual basis.

Once a manufacturer has the machinery required for such a large kevlar bead tubeless tyre then as I understand it, new tread patterns are relatively trivial though.

Also, I suspect this thread is likely to very quickly off the topic of carbon rims of dubious utility, so maybe we want an “ideal 36er tyre” thread instead.

2 Likes

There are quite a few bike companies offering a 36", which is why the Vee Monster is hard to get. It might be worthwhile to contact these companies yourself. Some of them may have any plans in the works with a tire manufacturer. If they don’t, then they might be talked into going that route, especially if they can use unicycling as proof of a broader market.

1 Like

Just sent an email to the V Tire Company requesting information on the current or future availability of the T Monster. They’re located in Atlanta, Georgia. If you would like to contact them as well, their email address is:
sales@veetireco.com.
Maybe if enough of us contact them we can get this ball (wheel!) rolling.

4 Likes

Reply from Vee Tire co.:

Manufacture of this tire is on hiatus until the spring of 2023.

Unfortunately this tire requires us to dedicate an entire vulcanizing machine to make each tire. With all other sizes we can make 4-6 tires at a time.

Because of the big backlog of tire orders we have it’s not practical for us to make this particular tire at this time.

5 Likes

So in summary with the latest information

That would be exceptionally hard to do

That is unlikely to happen in the near future. So the only tyres people are going to get are NR and KG and neither have worked well for people thus far. It does not bode well.

EDIT/Correction: Well actually KG has not been tried but based on what Roger has said I cannot see this is going to be any different from the NR

Presumably the same goes for the Wheel TA.

I still have a TA Tire and it weighs a ton! It would totally negate any weight savings from the carbon rim, and even add some extra.

1 Like

UDC UK list a light version of the TA alongside the original. I assume that it’s based on the same carcass as the NR Lite, but I don’t know for sure. Out of stock anyway.

EDIT: I just noticed that the SKUs on those tyres are tyre36Quax and tyre36QuaxLight, so maybe they have a different lineage than the original Wheel TA. Hard to say with 36" stuff since a lot of it is (was?) made in the same factory.

After this last explosive blow-off I am totally done with attempting to run pressures any higher than 30psi, with any 36er tire on this cf rim. Not worth the cost of replacing tires, tubes, and the chance of serious injury if it explodes while riding. Not to mention the trauma to the eardrums! Hard pass. At least I can still use it for MUni and hopping up stairs. :grin:

3 Likes

It seems very likely the light TA is produced by Innova in the same factory as the NR and KG. Here is the historical quote about how all the previous iterations of these tyres were made (which predates the Vee T-Monster)

Later Roger talks about the switch over to the new company (Innova).

Anyone with the new “light” TA could likely confirm this by looking on the tyre for a code starting IA-.

P.S. This is also interesting

Perhaps the NR/KG/TA 36" tyres are still slightly “off” and the bead tool needs further correction.

2 Likes

That said, I do agree with the rest of you that correct or not, given the overwhelming majority of 36 tyres are like this, Nextie should have designed their rim in such a way that it works with these tyres. I know they say they have tested a NR but I remain suspicious and even if true they got one a little late in the game and just assumed everything would be fine. You cannot make a rim that does not work with the tyres that people have and are likely to be the only ones purchasable for more than a year.

1 Like

That’s a very expensive pogo stick! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hmm… looking again at the descriptions of the various 36er tyres on UDC UK’s website I do note some differences with regards to max PSI. The light versions of NR/KG/TA are rated for 65/50/32PSI respectively.

Also, the single review of the TA light is by @Piece_Maker who notes that it is “crazily light” (presumably compared to the old one) but also adds,

The TA tyre is a nightmare to mount - don’'t even try it with plastic levers because they’ll snap!

So perhaps (?) tighter on the rims than NR/KG (neither of which I have struggled particularly with in the past)? But even if true, it is still only rated at around the same PSI that @UniGeezer has already settled on. So I am not sure there is much to be gained by owners of the Nextie rims buying this if they already have a NR light or KG light.

EDIT: I had actually always assumed that the max PSI on the KG light was the same as the NR light, given the same underlying construction by the same company, in the same factory. So I just went and double checked what was written on the tyre itself. Sure enough the KG light has “Inflate to max 3.5 bar” written in massive letters down the side (this equates to 51PSI). Now I wonder why these tyres have such different recommendations when they are essentially the same underneath. Particularly the TA light if it too is an Innova tyre as one would expect. :thinking:

1 Like