Nextie 36" carbon rim

I emailed Brian yesterday mentioning that we’ve both had issues, questioning the legitimacy of their 60PSI Nightrider picture and asking for more info on their setup.

I’ve also not heard anything back yet.

1 Like

I hope it’s not a case of “blaming the messenger”.

28.5 mile paved trail ride on the Nextie at 30psi today. Normal tire installation, bead seat at/before 30psi; subpar wheel build, even for me. I built up enough confidence to donut, speed, and hit some bumps. Am I ever so pleased with the whole thing? It’s more like my 29er than the KG/stealth2 I bought stock.

As a muni/low pressure rim it definitely seems like it has promise, just not at high pressures for either the hooked or hookless, at least not without the Vee tyre.

2 Likes

To my situation, it was a big improvement over the aluminum rim in acceleration and maneuverability. My memory won’t disagree with anyone who might will say lower pressures than 30psi go with the best pavement rides. What might likely be the condition for failure this way?

I really hope that it is an misunderstanding and that its really mid 2022 :blush:

I prefer lower pressures for my Unis as its more comfortable and easier to ride for me on my mixed asphalt and gravel rides. So far I’ve been riding at 30-35psi in my Vee T-Monster on the (original) Nextie hookless rim. But reading all this made me curious if riding at higher pressure was even possible. So for my last ~12km ride I rode at 45psi. And had no issues… so the T-Monster is different for sure.

3 Likes

How is it on asphalt?

Which tire you’re using?

Is the TM a tight fit on the rim? I am able to mount the NR tire without levers. Also curious if the TM tire’s bead is a bit thinner, allowing for a better fit into the hooked area, or on your case, the bead lock.

Except the wall height is much smaller on the Nextie.

The new NR lite. Hardly worth saying it’s not even a year old, as I almost installed it with tire levers.

1 Like

You have the hooked version correct?

Yes

1 Like

You should see if it holds at higher psi since Alice said even 60psi was no issue. We know that’s not the case for the NR, but it may be fine for the TM. It would also give us confidence to know that at least there’s one tire that is fully compatible with this rim at their claimed max air pressure.

***JUST RECEIVED THIS RESPONSE FROM ALICE:

"Hi Terry,

It’s Alice here. Sorry for the delayed response. We were off work during the weekend.

We feel really sorry about this.

The BSD for the NightRider is oversize. Maybe you can find the Vee T-Monster tire and try to use it?

For 36’’ tires, we are planning to find a local tire factory and cooperate to develop suitable 36’’ tires. In this way, maybe we can solve the problem that no tires fit our 36’’ rims.

What do you think?

Best Regards,

Alice at Nextie"

My reply was to say that it would great and much overdue to have a new, consitently reliable 36er tire, especially one that is TR. I also let her know that there are no T Monster 36er tires available anywhere that I can find. Also mentioned that her statement that the NR is “oversize” conflicts with her earlier assurance that the NR was tested at 60psi with no issues. Will be waiting for her response.

4 Likes

That’s pretty much the response I was expecting. Time to request a refund I guess.

What a bloody palaver.

1 Like

Stupid question, but can you tell me what is TR?

“Tubeless Ready” :slight_smile:

Alice emailed me back:

We feel really sorry about it!
Yes, we indeed use 60psi when we test the Hooked rim.
We use the Foss tube to test.
We use a mechanical simulation test and sure confirm the forces from riding would not cause a tire blow-off.
The tire on the tire with 60 PSI could last one week.

I wonder if they’d do a blow-off test for us with the setup they have and see what pressure they get up to before catastrophic failure.

1 Like

So they used the Schrader drilling not the Presta one.

Perhaps that type of tube had a bearing on reaching 60spi with the NR.

Still too many variables in my view to call this a saleable product.

For those interested:

I’m selling a Magic Money Tree Pot - made from carbon of course. Superb for growing these yet to be found, rare trees - but the pot is fully compatible with the future tree species. The pot can still be used in the interim to store your house keys or perhaps other small trees you can buy from your local tree sanctuary… Buy now to proof your future for when the future arrives … :smirk::deciduous_tree:

3 Likes