Newbie looking for unicycle

I have never ridden a unicycle before but hope to buy one shortly so that I can learn. I have no idea where to buy a good beginner’s bike and was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to buy one (and possibly some criteria?).

I found this one here on ebay and was wondering if it was a good buy in terms of price and in terms of being a good beginner’s bike.

Thanks for you help!

Nick.

www.unicycle.com is probably the best place to purchase a unicycle from. I would recommend a Torker LX 20". Or a Torker CX 20" if you don’t want to pay as much. I wouldn’t purchase a unicycle off of Ebay because you can’t always trust people who sell stuff on Evay. But unicycle.com is a very trustworth site, and it comes relatively fast. Good luck.

-Dan

If your going to buy a torker get a LX or DX. You will be happier for longer. The CX front bumper isn’t good for learning to hop.

really maybe like 1 in a million auctions are like that and this looks like a company since they are selling a hole bunch of them. and you dont know where he lives if hes in canada bedford is better then unicycle.com. i buy alot of stuff off of ebay and ive never been scheated out of anything and usualy you can tell if its private selling or not by the quality of pictures there discription and what else they are selling. look at how long the discription is this is oviously a company. and i suggest get something strong as your first uni cause then you can still use it when your better it doesnt really take that long to learn maybe a few weeks and youll have it down good then you will want to get into other stuff i suggest get something like a kh or something it will last longer and you wont want another really quickly. :slight_smile:

I learned on a torker LX. Has anyone ever learned on a KH? Id imagine it would be a little hard with that wide tire.

e39m5

for about the same price you can go to a local b*ke shop and get usually a torker or a savge. Do you want to do distance riding, do tricks or what do you want to do. I learned on a 20" savge with lollypop bearings, these have 2 bolts that conect directlyframe compared to two nuts and bolts. Do not get lollypop, your frame with snap off and it makes it unusable. My second unicycle is a torker lx 20" which i have taught 2 friends how to go straight with. I strongly reconmed the torker over the savage.

for about the same price you can go to a local b*ke shop and get usually a torker or a savge. Do you want to do distance riding, do tricks or what do you want to do. I learned on a 20" savge with lollypop bearings, these have 2 bolts that conect directlyframe compared to two nuts and bolts. Do not get lollypop, your frame with snap off and it makes it unusable. My second unicycle is a torker lx 20" which i have taught 2 friends how to go straight with. I strongly reconmed the torker over the savage.

welcome to unicycles

Thanks for the replies.

I also checked this local bike shop and they sell 20’’ Suns for $80…although from the looks of it the uni looked somewhat cheaply made. (although I cannot say for sure since I am a newbie).

I really just want an overall good uni…one that is average in all the fields (tricks, distance, etc.), b/c I don’t think I will use the uni for any one particular category.

Oh and also, I’ve read that starting out with a 20’’ is the best way to go in terms of learning how to ride, but the guys at my local bike shop said the bigger the wheel, the easier it is to learn, what do you guys think?

Here’s an ebay link, w/ a lot of unicycles for saleany of them good?

Bigger wheels are harder to learn on.

Don’t buy the Sun for $80 at the bike shop. For an extra $20, you can get a Torker LX on uni.com. Total including shipping was about $105 for me.

I started out on a gravity unicycle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7160491853&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

It was great to learn on and not to expensive but now i want to get into some thing good too, definately 20 inch. But if you decide you dont want to unicycle or it isnt your thing, its a cheaper way out, so its reall your choice where you want to go with it.

I learned on a crap no-name brand uni. I destroyed it as soon as i started getting a little good at things. I think most of us here went that route.

Now you would be ahead of the game if you got a better quality uni to start with. First off, it’ll make your learning experience more comfortable and maybe even faster. Secondly, once youve moved on to your next uni (which will inevitably happen) when you find what type of riding youd like to concentrate on, you can loan out your beginner uni to friends that wanna learn.

I would recommend a Torker LX or DX but NOT CX. The seat on the CX is torture. Do something good for your balls and dont get a Torker CX or a Savage. A Torker LX will do you real good. A Torker DX is stronger than an LX but you pay the price. That ones up to you.

A 24inch isnt very much harder to learn on than a 20. A friend of mine learned on a 24. Plus a 24 will be much better than a 20 for distance. The only way i could see a 24 as a no no is if you were really short.

Ive never had any trouble buying anything off of ebay. Ive never had any trouble buying anything off of unicycle.com either.

Good luck man. Its cool that youre gonna do this!

You say torker dx is good huh? im gunna look into them because mine is blowing bearings and stripping bolts out the yang. also is there and air saddle that will bolt right up to a torker dx? cuz my balls r hurtin from all this riding.

Off of amazon you can get a sun for 60 bucks, and when I learned how I beat it up a lot, if I was going to buy a Kris Holm and bang it up on the first few days that would suck, I can see a torker as a good choice, but for learning the basic stuff a sun is fine, and even a torker is a bit too much money to invest if you’re going to bang it up, and why do you think the sun looks cheap, the only thing wrong with it are the pedals, and you can fix those easily, and the sun has good bearings, fine cranks, and I could even do some muni on it, when I got into trials I got a different one but for learning on it’s great.

You can even do some freestyle on it, the only problem is the pedals, don’t go with Kh, definitely no, don’t go with a big wheel, 20" is perfect, and a Torker might be a good decision but you’ll bang it up, why not get to like, at least level one and then get a different one, after you can ride it falls on the ground a lot less, just, if you get a sun make sure that you don’t jump off of a picnic table or go to a skatepark, happy uni-ing. :wink:

PS: I am not a salesman from Sun, the preceding comments were my opinion and I bear no affiliation to the fine Sun unicycles, thank you.

I dont really agree with you here. Heres my opinion:

Youre gonna bang up whatever youre riding. Ive been riding for 4 or 5 years and im still learning. I think i will always be learning and i love that. If youre not banging up your uni, youre not pushing your limits and youre not learning *.

So, if you get a better quality uni to start with, it will hold up better to the abuse it should be getting ;).

I snapped my profile crank on my muni off a couple weeks ago. My muni gets banged up. Had i not shelled out what i had for my muni, and went with a setup of lesser quality, chances are i woulda broken that much sooner and had to replace it multiple times and then end up paying more in the end.

Maybe that was a bit extreme for a comparison of suns and torkers but i think it still applies. I think a torker will be a better investment in the long run. Also more comfortable. On the flip side of this, we’re just talking about learner unis so not too much cash is involved so you cant go too wrong either way. :slight_smile:

Lastly, i think 24inch is much smarter if you think you wanna do any distance riding. I hate spinning anywhere on a little 20.

*with the exception of most distance riders. I dont think its good for them to be crashing too often when theyre pushing themselves.

Do da LX, it’s the best for beginners. The CX is okay, though.

no, get a torker cx

get a nimbus

try the torker cx best for beginers