[newbie] City commuting: is unicycle really efficient

I work in a fancy high-rise downtown, and they are total nazis when it comes to bikes: NO ONE is permitted to bring a bike into the lobby of the building, but (heh) I can walk right past the receptionist with my 29" uni under one arm…it’s great! On the days I commute, I just keep it under my desk.
BTW: I was cruising the waterfront last week and a longboarder passed me. It was cool. We got into this friendly race for a couple miles of flat. I was very impressed at how fast the guy could move! I was in full sprint on the 29er, and we were basically going side-by-side the whole way. Longboards are cool, and I have no experience on one, but I’m guessing the uni is a better choice for regular transportation over distance–just because you’re sitting. Hey, that’s a question I meant to ask that guy: How far can you go on the longboard? I’m a uni newb, but I can sit on the thing for hours no prob. What’s the longest trip people usually do on LBs?
–thx :wink:

For the record I will have hit my 6000th km for 2012 in the next week. Over half is commuting to and from work and shopping and errands. The rest is recreational riding and exploring.

In my case it is a viable commuting option with some extra benefits that would not be applicable to others. However ten years ago it would have been no good for my situation at that time.

Different strokes for different folks.

I commuted on a skateboard for most of junior college, ages 16-18, one way was ~5 miles up and down mild hills, along busy urban roads, and through suburban neighborhoods. I skated because my hotrod was more often broken than not :roll_eyes:

In comparision to a unicycle, skateboards are slower, more dangerous, and require far more stopping, picking up, etc… and they suck in rainy weather.

The real challenge is learning how to ride a unicycle. Most people try and fail, and even if you succeed, learning to ride well enough to safely commute is an even bigger challenge.

That said, I’d much rather ride a uni than a skateboard, it is way more fun, so I say go for it and if you learn to ride then you’ll really have a sport to be proud of :stuck_out_tongue:

Speed check from a newbie:

20km
7.6km/t

QuAx luxus 24"

Hey, kool…I commute twice a week from Renton to downtown Seattle (12 miles). I only started to learn at the beginning of this summer, but now that I can go places, It’s soooo damn fun! I did the commute this morning, in fact, and had a blast. As of last week, there is nothing that forces me to UPD…not the horrible unimproved shoulder on Airport Way, not the bridge over the railroad tracks on 1st, not the RR tracks I have to cross…NOTHING! muwahahaha! I still can’t really idle very well, but this doesn’t matter since I’m getting good at timing my intersection crossings to hit the green light, and there are only three or four of those on the route (i finish along the waterfront with its new bike / strolling path).
One big thing I learned recently is that I should have listened when forum people told me to get some knee guards…heh…last week after finishing my commute, I took my very last turn a little too sharply and my pedal caught a parked car’s bumper…splat! Afterwards, my right knee looked like something hanging in a kosher deli window, and I think I cracked a rib. No big…just reminded me of my bike racing days. I’m all better now, and my new knee guards should arrive this week. :smiley:

Emerald City Uni’s

[QUOTE]
Hey, kool…I commute twice a week from Renton to downtown Seattle (12 miles)./QUOTE]

It would appear that unicycle commuting is a growing trend in Seattle.That is flipping’ awesome. I know of another person who regularly commutes on Capitol Hill. Haven’t met him, just keep hearing about him. I tell everyone who asks that I get recess twice a day with my unicycle rides. Ride safe YooNeeNoob. Hope to see you on the waterfront, which is an occasional route I take when I have extra time. I am on my 36er, what are you riding?

Hi YooNeeNoob
What seat are you using? I definitely can’t sit on my 29 for hours… :angry:
In fact I run the tire a bit soft to give my rear some respite :stuck_out_tongue:
I ride the 29 once a week at the moment (across town the long way to the gym where I practice a bit) 50 minutes of bike paths and then 35 minutes of crossing roads etc. Not really commuting I know. And I have no trouble jumping on a bus to come home afterwards. Makes for a fun morning.