new standard Coker rim

I’ve taken off the tyre and the rim is single-walled and appears to be exactly the same as the Qu-Ax - it’s got a nice brushed aluminium look to it but I guess it’s steel (just to show my materials knowledge I successfully stuck a magnet to it). I presume Qu-Ax & Coker use the same source. It would be interesting to know if the braking surface is any good (have you got yours yet, pdc?)

I’ve taken a couple of photos & I’ll post them as soon as I get gallery access.

Attach them here, please.

I forgot to mention that the hole for the valve was so well drilled the inner tube could be fully removed with the dust cap still on… :roll_eyes: quality.

Mine is due in any day, I was hoping last week (damn slow international mail). I’ll have a Magura brake on it. Pics an review as soon as I get it and try it out.
Darren said the rim is alloy. Does a magnet stick to alloy?

A magnet will not stick to aluminum alloy. If a magnet sticks to the rim then the rim is steel alloy. If the magnet doesn’t stick then it’s aluminum alloy. Just try the magnet away from the spokes. If the magnet is too close to the spokes then it could be attracted to the spoke instead of the rim and skew the results.

Steel is also an alloy so calling it an alloy rim is vague. It’s either steel alloy or aluminum alloy. I mention this just to keep Harper happy so he doesn’t try to remind me that steel is an alloy too. :slight_smile:

I finally got my Coker from Darren yesterday. The rim looks aluminum as it has a brushed look, but a magnet sticks to it so it must be some kind of steel alloy.

coker brake mount1 small.jpg

Calling it an alloy rim when it is brushed steel, seems like a kinda sneaky way of making people think it is an aluminum alloy, as alloy is commonly used to mean aluminum alloy, perhaps Bedford cycles should make this clearer in their catalog.

jim

I just used the magnet check on my Sun unicycle, and the rim actually is aluminum. That’s nice to know.

Thanks. I find this alloy ambiguity tiresome. Some stainless steel alloys are non-magnetic. Some are highly magnetic. Nickel is highly magnetic but unlikely to be used in pure form on a rim. However, the most common strike plate for a finish overplate is nickel.

If a magnet sticks to a rim the most likely conclusion is that it is a common steel alloy.

Aluminum in its pure form is, of course, not an alloy. It is commonly alloyed to make it harder, more machinable, more easily welded, or to give it a myriad of other properties. Steel is always an alloy by definition. Saying it is a steel rim, not an alloy rim, makes no sense whatsoever.

Sigh. I still simplified things too much to avoid the wrath of Harper. I should have just linked to the Wikipedia entry for alloy. But I’m sure Harper would find fault in that explanation too. :slight_smile:

Except in the bicycle marketing industry where the generic term alloy has been redefined to mean some form of aluminum alloy.

When I did an internship at Boeing some shop workers tried to convince me that Boeing had developed a magnetic aluminum that allowed them to easily move parts around using an electro magnet on a crane. I didn’t fall for it. :slight_smile:

Herper, I’m suprised that you are so frustrated by an esoteric definition of a material that doesn’t fit non-industry definitions, yet are so quick to use the adjective “magnetic,” which is inaccurate and imples that the stated material is inherently attractive of ferrous materials. I believe the word you want to use is “ferrous”.

OH BURN, IF IN UR FACE HARPER, lol

To be even more pedantic :smiley:

Ferrous means made of or containing iron II (Fe2+).

What is commonly called ‘magnetic’ is more acturately called ferromagnetic.

Harper’s name is ‘Harper’, not ‘Herper’.

I stand corrected. I fall, ashamed. Oh…I’m over it.

I just simplify and call it all ironic:stuck_out_tongue:

.max
i kill me.

relax folks…its the DeLorean or Coker rims

i would buy a Coker if it had GullWing doors.

Does anyone have a review of the new rim yet? I’d like to know how well it rides and how strong it is compared to the old stock Coker rim and the AirFoil.

Re: new standard Coker rim

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:50:27 -0600, “john_childs” wrote:

>When I did an internship at Boeing some shop workers tried to convince
>me that Boeing had developed a magnetic aluminum that allowed them to
>easily move parts around using an electro magnet on a crane. I didn’t
>fall for it. :slight_smile:

Well, if one would alloy aluminium with some iron… if that is ever
possible?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

we could always paint all the alloy componets of our unicycles with magnetic paint just to confuse people even more

jim