New Prototype disk brake muni?

I didn’t mean to suggest that… I’d guess it’s less strong than a steel axle though, but significantly lighter. I’ve been wondering since they came out whether they’d be stong enough for my mostly xc muni riding.

Rob

Oh it is fun reading this thread…

What I will say is that there are a several different threads of developement that UDC have running in parrollel. Some things you see will be in production some may not.

Feedback is good. :slight_smile:

Have fun.

Roger

Oh… just had a thought!

we coud do a sweep stake on this one… how many pre-production/protype parts on the unicycle picture that Alister posted?

and of course I wont confirm which is which… :slight_smile:

So how many were there on that unicycle?

Roger

768?

FROM UNishark:

Is that a mountainuni rig?
See thread: Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

Not a Mountainuni Rig but the concept is similar. Our Rotor attaches to the crank, and UDC Proto is using their dev hub which rotor attaches to. If you’re building a new wheel with hub, Can’t go wrong with the UDC system. It uses a lower bearing cap holder for the caliper.

New Disc Brake?

I’ve had one on mine for four years! You guy’s are playing catch up!

I asked Josh about using that hub for muni and he said that it was not strong enough for anything that involved drops, so XC might be okay, then again you take your chances… He told me to wait.

Every so often I get a chance to talk about gear with Josh. If you’ve ever spoken with Josh, he’s a very animated guy with a whole lot of interest and energy for the sport. Sometimes he says things, then tells me: “don’t repeat that on the forum”, so I gotta do what I’m told or he won’t talk to me :slight_smile:

Spring 2011 would be nice, but this is a big deal for UDC as the frame and hub are having to be redesigned, so patience is a virtue…

I’m just hoping that the 26" frame stays wide enough for a Larry :slight_smile:

Now about that 3" 29er tire…

Yeah but you have suspension too :smiley:

so is nimbus or udc gonna be coming out with a Muni like the green one? or does anyone know. looking to get a new one just dont know if i should wait…

nice knock off…

It’s a prototype bearing holder disk break mount shown off on our Sunday ride around Stockton on Tees. Whether or not this is going to make it into production any time soon (by nimbus or UDC or similar) is another matter entirely although I think most of the comments I heard about it were positive.
I did have a go myself and although the seat was very low (which made it kinda hard to tell what it was like), I can say that the braking felt very smooth to a brake-noob such as myself. The Maguras I also tried that day seemed much more difficult to use correctly, they were a bit more abrupt and harder to control perhaps.

And for Roger’s sweepstake, I’d say that there is only one ‘new’ part on that. As I understand it, the hub, disk and brake are already used on a different unicycle but the bearing holder mount is a new part.

You really should look harder… The hub was not the same as fitted to the 36", neither was the brake. There was more to that unicycle than the hub.

Roger

:stuck_out_tongue:

Any news on it then? :smiley:

it looks a lot like the mountainuni bearing cap caliper mount… does UDC intend to market it? what will Mountain uni’s cut be?

kb1jki,

Is the invention patented? Is it a novel enough idea to be patented?

I only ask, because many simple ideas are obvious to a skilled practitioner and as a result are not patentable. I believe that even if an invention is patentable, your options are limited after public disclosure, such as posting a picture of the devise on a public forum.

The clamp on brake mount looks like a nice fix for old frames, but I am sure the next generation of frames will have disk brake mounts welded on.

Scott

How do you replace a broken spoke with the rotor in the way?

When do you guys think they will come out with this? And I bet it will be pretty expensive! I’d love to have one that’s for sure! Could be a lot of fun at the coast of some of the softer trails and some sand sections.

Well just like on Motorcycle’s and MTB’s you just unbolt the disc then replace your spoke easy.

If you must have a (small disc) it’s best to have it mounted inside of the frame like on MTB and Motorcycles. Having a disc mounted on your crank is :astonished: not very good.

The BIG THING is a bolt on disc is only a small disc for the best braking a BIG DISC is best the biggist is the RIM or just bolted to the rim like some US made Motorcycles.

K.I.S.S. Just use the rim as at the end of the day its always best :slight_smile:
Stiff Unicycle frame is all thats needed :smiley:
Pete G…

i am gonna buy it soon :roll_eyes: