New on the forum, new unicycle, a few questions.

Hi, I’ve been scanning this forum for a few weeks, and I have a reason to post something.

I got a brand new Kris Holm 20 Trials uni for Christmas, quite the upgrade from my old 24" Torker. I was wondering what tire pressure most people ride on?

I can’t seem to get the concept of a spin down. I’ve seen plenty of videos of it being done, but whenever I try I just ride in a little circle. Everything I’ve read says something like “when you hit a spin, you’ll know it”… this happened once; I felt what it is, but couldn’t stick with it. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Greetings to all, Dave.

Most people run it anywhere between 15 and 25 psi for trials, but I personally wouldn’t advise going below 20. From personal experience, I think about 22 works the best.

can’t help u with the spin, i’m sure u will know about it when it happens tho
i do believe it’s one of the ‘higher level’ skills, so don’t be surprised if it does require quite a bit of practise

hang in there

ps. where were u earlier?!?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Re: New on the forum, new unicycle, a few questions.

“GILD” <GILD@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> can’t help u with the spin, i’m sure u will know about it when it
> happens tho
> i do believe it’s one of the ‘higher level’ skills, so don’t be
> surprised if it does require quite a bit of practise

Unless I’m missing something, spinning is relatively easy. Ride in a
tight circle and when you get going fast, pull your arms in (don’t
know if this is bad form, but it help the spin), and if you hit it
right all of a sudden it takes a lot less pedalling to keep turning.

I’ve made it around maybe 3 times at best, but haven’t worked very
hard. For reference, I can idle, one-foot (right foot only), and
sometimes ride backwards. Spinning feels like it will be easier to
get solid than these other skills.

Ken

That may be, but personally I find the spin to be a lot harder to do properly than most off the stuff on levels six and seven. The basic method of learning it is to practice riding in tight circles until you actually are spinning. When you are actually doing a spin, you will find that you have an incredible amount of angular momentum and have to work hard to keep it under control. According to the regulations on the Unicycling Society of America website, a proper spin must be at least five revolutions within one square meter, without any pirouettes.

Maintaining a spin is tricky. There are some tips here linked from the skill levels list.

To maintain a spin without wandering you need to keep a constant and even pedaling motion especially through the dead spot at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke. A jerky or uneven pedaling stroke will cause you to wander or slip or loose the spin.

Balance corrections by leaning your torso forwards or back will also cause you to wander during the spin. You need to be right in the balance zone during the whole spin. Making balance corrections by shifting your torso forwards or back will cause your spin to wander or fall apart. Any balance corrections need to be subtle or else you will start wandering and loose the perfect circular spin. It’s tricky to maintain for several revolutions.