New Coker has arrived

Sorry to be a thread hog, but I am just so curious and envious.

Glad to hear about the wobbles. I hadn’t realized how much I wobble until I see tracks in the sand. Looks like a sidewinding snake went by. :wink: Then again maybe I wobble extra in deep sand to make it through.

3 out of 4 tries. I’d say you’ve about got it. Unbelievable.

lol
sand makes a HUGE difference on how much you wobble, i can ride on a curb very easily and quickly, but there is no way i could ride that straight through sand.

Very nice unis, both the quad and conventional frame.

anyone seen the Coker ribbed XLR tire yet? It’s mentioned in the Coker ad.

Thanks for the photos and first impressions, Wheel Rider. I’ve been considering getting one of these, and just tonight took the plunge. I’ve ordered one with the brake option, so it will probably be a few weeks before I see it. I read on the Coker site that the first frames came without the mounts, but others should be arriving in a few weeks with the mounts installed.

-Aaron

Did you get your new Coker?

I just received my new Coker Big One today. I was very impressed with the packaging job, with molded foam and shaped cutouts. I’m psyched to have this for shipping the the up to NS for RTL.

Unfortunately, the wheel is not centered in the fork. It’s noticeably closer to the left side of the fork. I called Coker and I’ll be speaking with the unicycle guy tomorrow. Hopefully, I can just send back the frame and not the whole box full of everything.

Anyway, it seemed very light compared with my Radial. I bummed that I can’t play with my new toy yet.

I got my Coker Big One 3 weeks ago and mine too was off center by a lot to the left. I took mine to some unicycle guys here in town and all they did was true it up and it’s perfectly fine now. It was apparently trued…just not centered in the fork if that makes any sense at all.

Hello Steve, Congradulations! I know your going to contact Coker, but I remember Roger having a FAQ on how to bend the frame to center the wheel at the udc.uk site. I don’t know how much an aluminim frame should be bent because it’s more brittle than steel. Good luck with that new wheel!

Hi Wheel Rider,
Yes, I got my Coker two weeks ago and have had some great rides already!

Bend the frame? If it is a small offset, I think it is much easier just to add a thin shim to the bottom of the frame where it contacts the bearing. I’ve done this before on several uni’s using thin aluminum from soda cans, and it has worked well. I noticed a small (3/16") off-center wheel alignment on my Coker, but it isn’t noticeable as I ride so I’m leaving it as-is.

-Aaron

Fixed. Ran out of edit time.

Wow!! The Cokers are really rolling in.

I went to take a look at my wheel/frame alignment. Everything looks good. I don’t need to shim or bend or true anything.

I have been enjoying my new Coker Big One.

That’s a bummer! Hope it gets resolved quickly.

I finally ordered the Classic Big One.

Black/ Gray
ChroMo
Both cranks… Short ones sound like fun. :astonished:
and of course the brake.

SO
now
all
I
have
to
do
is
wait …

I rode a friend’s V2 yesterday. My first experience on a Coker.
How in the world will I be able to wait for mine? :slight_smile:

Woo-hoo!

Cool, hope you like the banked turns. Watch out for worms.

Hey all, just wanted to say that I just got my brand new Coker Big One in the mail a few days ago (with th brake mounts). See:
http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=565856

Let me say this is one awesome machine! This is my first real 36er experience (mainly ride my KH24 and sometimes my 28" Yuni) and all I can say is WOW! I do have a suggestion for those of you considering buying the Coker Big One with the optional brake bosses/brake:

1. I ordered mine with the optional brake mounts and brake. All the pictures and installation literature tell you that the brake is mounted on the FRONT of the uni. Well I did that and as you can guess, on my first ride, my legs would periodically bump the brake arms. Very annoying! As I was complaining about it to a mtn bike friend of mine he said, “Why can’t you just flip the frame around?” Duh!! So unlike what my photos show in my gallery (I need to take some more) I did spin the frame around with no ill effects so far. It is clear Coker intended for the brake to be in the FRONT as the notch for the seat post on the seat post tube is on the opposite side from the brake bosses. But other than that I don’t see the harm in flipping the frame around. Please correct me if I’m wrong in this?

Other than that, as you can see from my photos, the frame/wheel alignment is very good.

Man I hope to be joining you all at RTL next year, if I can now find a team! In the meantime there is a century ride I’m considering in the fall. Of to start training…

MuniSano

Just make sure the left pedal is still on the left side and the right pedal is still on the right side. Otherwise, one day when you are riding along having a good time, one of your pedals will come off and you will find yourself on the ground, NOT having a good time.

Congratulations on your new Big One.

You know, I never even thought about the brake going in the front. I just figured the frame-slot for the seat post should just be in the front with brake in back, because they’d obviously never put the brake in front. :astonished:

I see I was wrong in the way I set it up, but in being wrong, I did it the right way. :roll_eyes:

Correct. It is fine to turn a frame around, as long as the left crank arm is connected to a left pedal and the right crank arm is connected to a right pedal and the left and right cranks are indeed on the left and right sides as you are riding.

Yeah what I did was to:

1. rotate the seat and seat post clamp 180 degrees
  2. swapped the left crank for the right crank and vice versa…

I was kind of mystified why the assembly directions showed the brake on the FRONT as every brake mount for unicycles I’ve seen have been on the BACK. I probably should have assembled it the wrong CORRECT way to start but I had to go “pee on the electric fence” so to speak…