New Bedford Impossible wheel !

The BC wheel in the video is the prototype that I recently bought from Darren Bedford. It is a 20” wheel with a hook worm 20 x 2.1 tire. Everyone I have shown the wheel have been very impressed by its design and strength. I have been using it quite a lot and so far there are no signs of breaking down. There are some closer-up photos of the BC wheels Darren makes at http://community.webshots.com/album/73141097LMlznz/1 Darren can be emailed at info@bedfordunicycles.ca .

As you can see from the video Ryan and I are beginning to learn to do some cool stuff on it. But I think that there is a lot more that is possible with time and practice. BC wheels are a lot of fun and I highly recommend buying one.

Jeff

David,

Having never ridden a good IW it doesn’t really matter (I don’t know what I’m missing out on), but here’s mine. It’s great fun.

Andrew

impossible wheel - garage 1.jpg

Awesome video, guys! Along with all the skill shown, I particularly liked the black (Bedford?) toques worn throughout…very nice.

Do you (or anyone else) have any clips of how you manage to mount a BC wheel? From reading UW’s webpage, I am to understand that you just get it rolling and hop on? And then how do you stop suddenly when you are going at a good speed? Do you just rub your leg or hand against the tire to halt it? I expect if you just jump off it might roll for a while.

thanks,
andrea

Andrea,

The easier way (and the one that I currently prefer) of to mount an IW in my opinion is to set yourself up alongside a handrail. Then you get on the thing and push yourself along with two hands, then one, then let go and have fun! I’ve gone 5m or so a couple of times doing a rolling mount but find it much harder. I really want to try an IW with pegs below the axle.

Andrew

Here you go…
You can get an idea of what I mean from this.

Andrew

To stop, i generally d’ont. if i get going so fast that i’m about to fall off, then i’ll just fall off, if not, i’ll just stay on. The way to mount it is by spinning it, then rolling, and jumping on. When learning (the first 1 or 2 times) 2 people pulled me, untill i could go along by myself for a good distance, then you hvave to learn it by yourself, the rolling mount, which is scary at first, but alot of fun! If you’re questioning a BC wheel, get one! they’re awesome!

-Ryan

could this be a good place for the two ski-poles/crutch approach?

Wow thats some BC wheel Andrew. Looks like its designed to do handstands on. It is also more in keeping with the comic strip.

I guess I am just the less daring slow learner yet determined type. I prefer the ski pole approach. I was making progress but it was slow (much like how I progressed with wheel walking). It is fun though.

What I would like to see in a IW is to have the metal drop have a few holes for the pedal (or axle). That way as you get better you could move the pedal up (or the connection to the axle down).

Cheers,
David

Attn: Vancouver Unicyclists

Andrea has just ordered her latest wheel…

The Bedford Fireball BCW

I also want to say congrates on her new designation… M.Sc. !! Way to go Andrea !!

Enjoy your new wheel, it is a piece of art !

Cheers,
Darren

Re: New Bedford Impossible wheel !

“GILD” <GILD.olttn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:GILD.olttn@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> m_extreme_uni wrote:
> > *. The way to mount it is by spinning it, then rolling, and jumping
> > on. When learning (the first 1 or 2 times) 2 people pulled me, untill
> > i could go along by myself for a good distance-Ryan *
>
>
> could this be a good place for the two ski-poles/crutch approach?
>

Yes, some broom handles with rubber tips on the bottom are good starters.
Get a little speed then dump the handles.
Once you get pretty good at this you will be ready for the rolling mount.

Rolling the wheel: I used to spin the wheel with one hand, then set it down,
but found after a while just setting it on the ground and giving a straight
push on the top edge, kind of like rolling a coin
gave more consistent results.

Landing the Rolling mount: The trick is not to land with weight on both
feet simultaneously as the wheel will tend to shoot out from under you. You
kind of want to stagger your feet landing on each side just enough to
achieve this. Once you’ve tried it you’ll know what I mean.

David Winston

Re: New Bedford Impossible wheel !

“uw” <uw.olwln@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:uw.olwln@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> What I would like to see in a IW is to have the metal drop have a few
> holes for the pedal (or axle). That way as you get better you could
> move the pedal up (or the connection to the axle down).

That is the way Tom Miller (Unicycle Factory) has always made them.
A metal drop with threaded holes to mount pedals at different heights.
I thought I had seen the same at unicycle.com, but don’t see them there
tonight. Perhaps others recall where these can be gotten.

Honestly I think the Bedford design looks quite nice. Having a big solid
platform like that is way more important than adjustability.
I anticipate a lot of new people learning IW based on the availability of a
nice wheel like that.

At first I thought - wow, that must be pretty heavy - but then I watched the
videos posted earlier and saw they are able to hop over obstacles!
So weight doesn’t matter when the ability to “squeeze” the platforms and
catch air is now an option - I don’t think any other IW design would lend
itself to that kind of riding.

So the doors open to some new IW possibilities - skate parks anyone?

David Winston

Is there any advantage to being able to put the pedals or platform up higher other than it being more of a challenge?

Andrew

David Winston wrote:
> That is the way Tom Miller (Unicycle Factory) has always made them.
Well my old one did not come that way… I guess its a special request.

Its just a theory but I think it would be easier to ride it the pedals were lower. If true it would have made the learning curve more managable for folks like me.

Thanks David Winston on the advice on the rolling mount… I tried the simultaneous approach once and quickly landed on my back with the UW shooting down the road.

I agree with David Winston on the new Bedford IW. I am tempted buying one myself. After being able to move around a little with mine I did not know what else to do with mine… after seeing the video I now know…

20" Fireball

I have seen them do it live, it is totally cool. Also it actually is a fireball a 20" one. It does come with other tires if you want but the fireball is standard.

BC Wheel Video

Hey guys, check out my new BC wheel video!! If you’re on Youtube, please be sure to rate and comment! Enjoy :slight_smile:

Whats maps backwards? oh spam

I’m not trying to spam…I’m trying to show my video! how are people going to know about it if I don’t tell?

For one you could just post it in the video forum rather than resurrecting a four year old thread which is only partly relevant.

When you say fireball, do you mean the rim is shaped and painted as a fireball would be or it really is a fireball???

Okay, okay, sorry!! I won’t do it again!! I am not forum-saavy, forgive me.