New 29er Tire from Schwalbe

Here are a few pics of my new just mounted Hans Dampf. I measured the casing width with a caliper at 62mmm on a KH FR 47mm rim at 20psi. The knob width is slightly less at 59mm. Now I’m off to get it dirty.:slight_smile:

Hans 003.jpg

Hans 004.jpg

I posted more review of Hans on the 29er tire review thread:

Looks like Munimag is double posting, I’m curious to see what he thinks after a ride…

So, in the interest of full disclosure, I do not own now or in the past, stock in any tire company, nor do I operate a tire wholesale franchise, I just really like gear and for me the tire is the most important part of a uni…that said, I really like Hans, so don’t expect a follow up comparison with an Ardent anytime soon as I don’t really want to swap them out :stuck_out_tongue:

More Hans to come, I might even buy a caliper :astonished:

Hey Munimag, that “old KH” is just ripe for a D’Brake upgrade and an Oracle hub :slight_smile:

I just finished my first ride on the Hans, a 9 mile route that I take frequently and have been recording my time on. I really like the tire and found it easy to ride. It is very responsive and maneuverable. I was able to better my best time on this route by a few minutes. I had the tire inflated to 20 psi and found it a little bouncy and some rooty sections. I will try letting out a few pounds on my next ride. Overall it is now my favorite 29er tire, although the only other 29er tires I have tried are the Stout and the Dissent.

Yeah, bouncy at times, that is my only “complaint”, but it’s not all the time, just at certain speeds and cadence. I’m thinking it’s a function of having high volume and a lot of rubber on a thin casing (aka Larry).

Have you not ridden an Ardent? It’s worth a try, if I remember I’ll bring mine down to the munifest so you care to try it out.

Ayone else going to take the plunge?

Got the Hans Dampf Pacestar in the mail today.

I’m too worn down from earlier rides to give it a decent test now but did take it for a quick spin around the block and a few test hops. My first impression is that I was taken aback at just how “quick” this tire feels. It feels faster and more responsive than my old tire, which was admitadely worn down. I guess I also judged the book by it’s cover and assumed the tire to be heavy. I beleive that it’s lighter than my old Stout.

Can’t wait to test it on a trail.

HD_UNI.jpg

I have the Trailstar version

On a Sun Ringle MTX 33 (which is 33.5mm wide) the tread width is 59.5mm and side wall 56.4mm all taken with a digital vernier

So the slightly narrower rim only really effects the sidewall width as a pointed out in another thread the rim is only a few mm smaller than the KH XC 29er rim so nothing to right home about. It is pretty light at 660g and more importantly doesn’t have a brake side wall which I HATE on a disc wheel I like my wheels all black. The rim also has a very deep V cross section making it very rigid and resulting in shorter spokes so giving a stronger wheel overall.

Anyway I degrees I have only messed about around the neighborhood but the tyre feels great and at 20 psi is supple enough not to fold unless you do a massively acute angle side hope. I am off for a VERY muddy ride in a few minutes which will consist of foot deep mud, loose wet shingle, razor sharp flint and super slippery wet chalk so a pretty good test :stuck_out_tongue: I am coming from a 26x2.4 Conti Rubber queen on a 31mm wide rim which has been fantastic other than the flint killing my first tyre so the snake skin side walls will be a bonus on Hans, I am also impressed this 29" tyre is actually than the 26" conti :slight_smile:

I will post back in a few hours with my post ride report

20121004_141138.jpg

I’m pretty happy with Hans / Ardent level tires and not really looking for anything beefier right now but…

Maxxis has posted info on a (long rumored) 29x2.5 Minion, dual ply, 1255g. Sounds like it will be somewhere between a Hans and a Dissent. It’s even showing up (as coming soon) on some dealer sites.

It will also be available in a 1015g, single ply version.