Need a new uni

I’ve been riding off and on for just short of a year now and I want to upgrade from my 20" Torker to something a bit more serious. I live in Hawaii, bout a quarter mile from the beach and my Torker is showing the signs of many beach path rides. In addition to the rust, my crank arm just went out, the threads stripped out.

Before I spend the money on new cranks, and shipping, I wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good second cycle. I would primarily use my new cycle for short distance transportation and very light trail riding. Please keep in mind that I am a poor college student. If possible I don’t want to spend more then $220.

Mahalo,
Dani

The key thing to consider is what size wheel to get. For the uses you describe your next unicycle should be a fairly standard model but with a bigger wheel size, either 24", 26" or 28" with maybe a cyclo cross tyre. You probably won’t want to invest the extra money required to get a specialized offroad uni and it is likely not justified for short commutes and light riding. Throwing on a cheap nobbly tire and maybe some longer cranks will suffice to convert a 24" or 26" uni into something for the trails (with no drops). You can even run short cranks if you don’t mind hard work on the hills.

A 24" is noticeably faster than a 20" over short distance and you’ll still be able to work on tricks if you feel inclined.

A 26" gives you a little more speed and a lot wider range of offroad tyres to choose from.

A 28" goes fast and with a cyclo cross tyre you can take it offroad as well. (Cyclo cross tyres are sort of like narrower versions of offroad tyres, they are a marriage between road and offroad tyres).

A semcycle XL is a good choice of unicycle in your price range. ($165 for 24", $185 for 26" and $200 for 28")

In your position I would probably buy a sem XL 26" with short cranks. This won’t take as much getting used to as a 28" and by the time you want to upgrade again you’ll probably be earning enough money to buy something a lot flasher.

I don’t like the sem XL seat and would replace it with the KH saddle when that comes out.

Have a look on unicycle.com for more info,

Re: Need a new uni

> Before I spend the money on new cranks, and shipping, I wanted to get
> some opinions on what would be a good second cycle. I would primarily
> use my new cycle for short distance transportation and very light
> trail riding. Please keep in mind that I am a poor college student. If
> possible I don’t want to spend more then $220.

Coker, Coker, Coker, Coker…

I love writing that.

Is $300 more than $220? Not if you divide by wheel diameter. :wink:

hey where in hawaii ae ya from? i’m going to hawaii this winter with me uni

Re: Need a new uni

Get a Norco
“daino149” <daino149.cakf3@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:daino149.cakf3@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I’ve been riding off and on for just short of a year now and I want to
> upgrade from my 20" Torker to something a bit more serious. I live in
> Hawaii, bout a quarter mile from the beach and my Torker is showing the
> signs of many beach path rides. In addition to the rust, my crank arm
> just went out, the threads stripped out.
>
> Before I spend the money on new cranks, and shipping, I wanted to get
> some opinions on what would be a good second cycle. I would primarily
> use my new cycle for short distance transportation and very light
> trail riding. Please keep in mind that I am a poor college student. If
> possible I don’t want to spend more then $220.
>
> Mahalo,
> Dani
>
>
> –
> daino149
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> daino149’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20956
>

Thanks for all the input. For those who want to know, I live in Honolulu.

How much do Norco’s run? and how good are they?

Dani

Hey Dani,

(sorry about that last post i screwed up) anyways i used to live up in Kailua and Keolu By bellows beach I was born in Kailua but that was before i unicycled anyways noroco is the way to go because they dont wear down very quickly and will probably last through the humdidity of hawaii. Shaka Bra

Snow_on_one, did you hear that Kalani’anaole had a bit of a land slide last night? Yeah, around the Makapu`u lookout some heavy rain washed some rocks loose from the cliff and closed the highway for a while.

Anyway, back to unicycling. I was still wondering how much Norcos are. Also, does anyone have any input regarding the 24 inch Schwinn on unicycle.com

Hang Loose,
Dani

Shaka -->
nn/

For all those who are lucky to live Hawaii,

Does anyone know the best way to get a unicycle in Hawaii? Do any shops carry anything other then Torker? I looked but couldn’t find much.

FYI:

Unicycle.com charges $77.27 to send a $165.00 24 inch Semcycle XL

I guess I should have figured that considering it costs $18 to send a $20 video