My 2nd Century 100.10.1

Great accomplishment! The best thing for cramps is begin serious hydrating at least 2 days before an event. I have a ton of experience with this (long story) just trust me on the hydrating.

Ok, complete stranger from Texas with 12 posts… we’ll trust you.

Pre-hydration doesn’t just help with cramping, but it also helps the body metabolize its energy stores. I dunno about days in advance, but hours in advance works for me.

Nice ride Terry. Sometimes I live vicariously through the short write ups and videos people are generous enough to post until I am back home.

I was unaware of the “pickle juice” benefit, beyond the great taste : (

I agree with Bungeejoe that eating 10 bananas would not be a great idea unless a person was planning to go ape-$h!t, then it may have some appeal : (

You aren’t getting older Terry, you are getting better.

1 Like

Congratulations!

The sooner you pre-hydrate the better, it’s healthy if you are always very hydrated. If you are, there’s no need to pre-hydrate.

The sooner you pre-hydrate the better, it’s healthy if you are always very hydrated. If you are, there’s no need to pre-hydrate.

When i know im going to ride on my drive home or on the way to were i am riding i drink a extra bottle or to beyond what i would on a regular day.

Thanks again guys for the comments and good advice! I bought some dills this morning and drank about 6oz of the juice, then went for a road climb. Felt good with no leg cramps, but I’m not sure if the PJ had anything to do with it. I also hear good things about endurolytes. (Maestro8 mentioned them too.)

Does anyone know if drinking gatorade would help cramps?

Depends on the electrolyte content. You’d need to drink quite a lot and often to replace what you lose during a long ride, especially in hot weather. I plan to mount a bottle cage under my T-Handle specifically for pickle juice, so I can take sips throughout the ride, and still drink as usual from my camlebak, which will also have some added electrolytes. My hope is that doing this plus having a fresh century under my belt, will make my next one go a lot smoother, and be cramp-free!

On another note, do those of you who have ridden on the old as well as the newest fusion free ride notice or prefer one to the other, specifically the foam? The older FFR had a much softer, “spongier” foam, whereas the newer version foam is much firmer. I think Kris used a dual-density type foam. I’m wondering which would be better for a century ride. I’m leaning towards the current generation foam since it’s firmer, but not sure if that would be better than the previous, more “cushy” version foam.

Personally I’ve always thought of gatorade as being more of a post workout drink. Water is still the best for hydration and for cramps.

Just my opinion.

I’m sure you can find many articles online for any cramping theory out there, but one here I recently read seems interesting:
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/featured-series-on-science-of-sport.html
scroll down to Muscle Cramps, it’s a 5 part series.

It suggests that electrolyte drinks don’t do much and the real culprit is simply pushing yourself harder than normal because you didn’t train up to it. But in the end, whatever works for an individual works.

I’ve been putting electrolytes in my water when I ride hard and race, and will continue to do so for now. I’ve had some crazy quad/calf cramps a few times last year. I’m not ready to say it works yet, because there are so many variables involved. But training makes sense. Maybe riding gradually longer rides, building up to a century, is the real key to avoiding cramps? I really don’t know, I’m looking for a definite solution too.

I’ve stayed away from the ‘fancy’ store bought and event sponsoring electrolytes on multiple century rides, back to back century+ rides, a few 120+ miles rides, a 156 mile ride, and on a double century 204+ mile ride. I have done rides where parts of my jerseys and shorts literally turned white from dried sweat before changing to fresh ones without using ‘fancy’ electrolytes.

They might get you somewhere you never intended to go or they may help you get where you should never have gone. I suggest you be leery of trying anything you didn’t use and test out while training (assuming you do train).

Ahhh
Thanks I’d lost that web address when my old computer died…

Their book “The Runner’s Body” is a great manual for fitness people.

The only cramping problem I’ve had in the last few years was last year after a fairly torrid week of running and riding. That was a calf cramping, and I hadn’t been doing my heel drop exercises much at the time either, so the calves were perhaps vulnerable.

Cheers

James

ps; heel drop exercise for those that don’t know are the way to deal with achilles tendon issues. work brilliantly :slight_smile:

Congrats on the century.

I got bad cramps one time that were no fun, part way around the mountain. The next time I bought some Cramp-Stop and that works pretty well. A lot of bike riders seem to have it on endurance rides. Training so much that you don’t get cramps is ideal, but if you do get them it is nice to have relief. It is nice to have as a first aid kit that you can share with other riders you meet incapacitated by the pain of cramps on hills- they might not be as keen for pickle juice.

I will admit that since my first century back on 7/11/2010, I had not done anything longer than about 50 miles, and nothing more than 30 in the weeks leading up to this last century. I also did push myself a lot harder on this ride, not taking nearly as many breaks, and the ones I took were shorter than usual.

And since I filmed a lot - I must have taken out my camera from its holder more than 40 times! - that slowed me down, prompting me to ride even faster when I wasn’t filming.

All told, it’s probably no wonder I got cramps! I’m planning my next one, which will be 114 miles to double my age, in mid-March. This last century under my belt should serve as a good training ride for that one! :slight_smile: