MUni discussion thread

24 or 26

Oneisenoug,

At your height I would go for a 24". I am very happy with my KH24. I got a KH29 to but even if it did have a 3" wheel I could not imagine doing MUni on it. Just to big and not enough manueverability. Listen I really think that us shorter people (I am 5’8".) on 24’s have a serious advantage in maneuverability. Whereas taller people on 26"s and to a greater extent on 29"s will have and advantage with rollability and speed.

At your height go for the 24".

Unicorn

Unless your trails require lots of big drops, you can’t imagine it because you haven’t tried enough!! :slight_smile:

If nothing else, it will make you a better rider. Today, to fit in with the group, I rode my 24 on a trail that I often ride with my 29er. All the more technical bits seemed so rideable, even some of the optional, more challenging trail routes. I cleared stuff today that I wouldn’t even try back when I used to only ride the 24 for MUni.

KH29 vs KH24

I don’t like doing drops on the KH29 because I ride it with about 35 PSI instead of a little under 20 PSI and the drops feel so hard. Also the tire is wheel is to big to slalom around obstacles. It is true that I can roll over much more stuff but I just don’t have the Manueverability and agility that I have with the KH24. In addition every bump is just that much more bone jarring.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the KH29 for easier singles and farming roads. The Speed is just great. However when I ride any trails that are pretty technical and when agility is needed the KH24 is superior. I also feel it less in my bones after a ride.

I think that your improvement is just from riding. Even if you just ride your 24 you would improve. I love it when I ride a trail or try and obstacle that I have not done for a month or so and it feels so easy to do!

Unicorn

Yesterday I did my first attempt at some MUni. I borrowed a 24" MUni from a friend who in turn borrowed a 20" MUni from WOFT. To put things into perspective, I have a 24" no-name that I only ride on the road with, and at the moment can’t even go off a sidewalk without bending the wheel (I’m a big lad :slight_smile: ), so I don’t attempt much, not even hopping. Been riding for 5 months.

5 of us in total went out, 3 on 24’s and 2 on 20’s. I was definitely the least experienced out of everyone. There is a local area against the side of the mountain close to where I live called Tokia Forrest. It’s a local MTB hangout.

The initial ride up the long jeep track to get to the top of the single downhill track up against the side of the mountain was quite tough, just because I was not used to riding off road and with a Uni I had never ridden before. Once we hit the single track coming back down things got really exciting and fun.

I have to say that I am sooo chauffed with what I managed to accomplish. The drops, the snaking bits over tree roots, the technical bits… all were such a cool experience, and I ended up doing so much that I had never even thought of attempting before.

1 particular downhill ride/drop was awesome probably about 4m, and I got it on my first attempt. Only 2 of us got it on our first attempts. The rest of the ride was just awesome !!! I learnt so much, both about actually doing the riding and also about how much confidence I really have attempting some of the things. I put it down to the fact that the guys I was riding with were so much better than I was, but seeing them do things gave me the confidence to just go for it, because it could be done.

I can’t wait now until I get my own MUni. I just have to go up there and do it all over again… and again… and again…

I have never had such a physical workout, with my heart rate never going below 130/140 (going up to 160/170 at times) for 2 1/2 hrs (beside the actual rest stops to catch a breath), and loving every single second of it !!!

Thanks must go to Johnny (WOFT), James, Jade, and Justin !! For being my riding partners for the day.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

best help yet! THANK YOU!:slight_smile:

and as far aa the unis im going between its the Nimbus ISIS 24 Muni and the Same thing in a 26. any experience or reccomendations, or even opinion about them…thanks again.

In the past year of riding trails I’ve completed several 15 mile+ Muni epics. The longest was 50 miles during a 12hr mountain bike race in Georgia and 36 miles yesterday in Alabama. The routes have varied from fairly advanced, technical routes i.e. lot’s of rocks, roots, climbing and descent and concentration to easier xc muni i.e. a little less of the above mixed in with sections of easier riding (to catch one’s breath). Anyhow in all these rides I’ve used my 2007 KH24 w/ 24x3 Gazz and 150mm cranks and I must say this has been an awesome setup. Not necessarily the KH24 but this sized uni with this sized cranks. Even on the lighter trails I don’t feel that slow and it’s nice to have this tire/crank ratio for the tight technical areas: lot’s of torque and POP! Anyhow, although I’m a bit slower than my friend Hitarock on a couple on both those real long muni epic’s (he was on a KH29 with 26x3 Gazz and 165mm cranks) I don’t think over the long haul it made much difference and I was much happier having the manueverability of the 24". But the terrain you mostly ride dictates what you need… Just my $.02 worth…

MuniSano

Personally I am not too fond of nimbuses (I’ll probably get a lot of crap for that but oh well). I really like the KH24 for muni, or (since im poor) I’m getting a 24" DX which i havent gotten yet, but I’m hoping will be just as good. From what I’ve heard the DX is a great muni for a cheap price

but it’s your choice
good luck :slight_smile:

DX= heavy + no ISIS
and
no ISIS= no KH moment cranks.

As I’ve mentioned in several places (maybee hear:o), you can fit Qu-Ax cranks on the DX hub, but you only have 3 size options: 127, 145, 170. Also they have more Q-factor than the DX’s (and Moments), personally, something I like.

IMO the only advantage is more length options and slightly lighter. Also you can get double holes if you don’t do big drops. If you decided to get a geared hub down the road you would not need new cranks. (I’ve thought that if I got a KH, I’d drill some 165’s @ 145 mm, then get a welder to weld on some reinforcements and heat treat them.)

The nimbus has no break mounts though. I suppose you weld some on if you have a welder + the skills to do it.

If I were to choose between a DX and the Nimbus 24, I’d go for the later.

Please clarify! If you had said only downhill, I would have guessed you meant “miles”. But you added drop, and so I was unclear as to what “4m” indicated. Meters? Uh…nobody I know has done that big of a drop…not even close. So, please explain. :smiley:

meaning the nimbus?

because KH moment cranks make the uni :roll_eyes:

and i know its heavier, but that really doesnt matter to me…i ride how i want, and someone else’s opinion on my uni doesnt make a difference to me

so ha…i win :smiley:

no…but isis give you much more crank length capabilities…and i never said yur uni was bad…but i have ridden a friends 20"DX and dont think that i (personally) would want to get a 24" of that uni…and the Nimbus is cheaper(stock). I also have a nimbus isis hub on my trials uni and love it so i dont see why i would go backwards in technology and get a DX.

i dont think its goin back in technology

and why not get a nimbus?..because i dont wanna!:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll spend my hard earned cash on whatever i see fit

if i want to get a $9000 prostitute, i’ll get one…or maybe i’ll just get 1000 $9 prostitutes :astonished: …you dont know!! :smiley:

i just think isis is “new school” and whats hot right now

i never said u should get a nimbus

i never said you shouldnt

i am just saying what i think is best 4 me…as r u

You may need to find a different 29er tire. For comparison, I run my Duro 24x3.0 at 18 PSI and my WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3 at 25 PSI. I’m thinking about trying the WTB Stout too for even more cushion. I usually feel more jarred after riding the 24 because I purpose to jump off of stuff. :wink:

The lack of maneuverability is a matter of practice. I can turn my 29er on a dime if I have to.

Im pretty sure he was saying m for meters. And 13 feet has been done by a few unicyclst.

There is a 15 foot drop that I want to try up at Beacon Hill.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :thinking: :thinking: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :astonished: :astonished:
if you go for it…get it on video…that’d be SICK

Yes.

The 20" DX is actually heavier than the 24.

I have the 24" DX, thuroghly enjoying it, and I intend to keep using it untill my skills significantly improve (probably at least a year) and I’ve saved up for a G-KH. What size? I’m not sure.

I’ve upgraded it w/ a Freeride seat and 170 cranks, now it’s actually comfortable enough to ride more than a couple of minutes and I have enough control to attempt a fair amount of the local technical trail sections. I’m glad it came w/ brake mounts and I hope to get some Maguras by spring.

(I was just quoted $75 to braise on those mounts for the Nimbus by a local welder.)

Somehow I don’t think he was saying that he did a “13’ drop on the first try!” MAybe but I think he probably meant something else; especially since he says he’s only just learning MUni. If not, that’s TRIPLE damn impressive! :sunglasses: