MUni discussion thread

That depends on how technical the trails are around you and if you want to do more XC, also more length if you intend to ride the uphills. For tech trails & some trials along the way most preffer 150 +, anything less is more XC.

How was your 29 on your trails? A bit slow on the easy stuff, but one of your Tunis can do a good job in the meantime.

I think anything longer than 150’s would be too long for your legs for a few years. Mornish is I think about your size and 165’s hurt his knees.

Double holed cranks opens up the options, but they are weaker and not recomended for drops. A good roll out would be more important for the life of those cranks. At your light weight though, this is not as much of an issue.

I’ve ordered a Nimbus 24" ISIS Muni, and I have a question if the Magura H33 brake would fit on that frame?

http://municycle-ca.jugglegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=102&zenid=ce03c0e9f4b6659626c204e5583f5458

If anyone knows, or if there is something to be attached before hand of whatever?

Thanks,

Isaac

yea, you need mounts put on before you can put Maguras on. Link. you also need the magura mounting hardware (might not come with brake, depends on where you buy it from). and you can’t forget a brake handle mount. so after you get all that, you can put a brake on your nimbus.

Okay, thanks, i’ve already got a Magura brake (on my trials bike) so would it have the components to use after I buy that braze-on kit?

Isaac

yea, just don’t forget the saddle break mount, too. or if you want to go cheap…

Frame for 26x3 Gazz

I’ve been looking to upgrade my 28" Yuni frame to one with machined bearing housings. I’ve been thinking about:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1075

Yeah I know it’s a 29er frame but will it frame accommodate an 26x3 Gazz on a Alex32 rim? I.e. is there enough clearance (width) or will I need to purchase a tire that is a little narrower like one of the Arrow/Duro brands?

Thanks…

I think I may aswell put that money towards a KH frame…

I used 165’s on my KH MUni from the start, but then decided to try 150’s. I got used to them surprisingly fast, and I haven’t looked back! Faster, less wobble, more efficient and still plenty of torque, and climbing doesn’t seem any more difficult.:smiley:

Does anybody know if a front Magura brake would work on a Muni? The difference is just what, the cable length?

Photo of  in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.

Isaac

yeah Isaac, it’s just the cable length that’s different. Unless you’re real tall (which you aren’t) a front brake will work perfect. Just wrap the excess around the seat tube. Also, welcome to MUni. :smiley:

Thanks, I think I will really enjoy Muni. I might buy a 04 KH frame in the future to have a Magura brake, I will see how I like it without a brake. And then other upgrades from there;)

So, i’ve noticed that the Duro tire isn’t actually seem that much wider than my Luna, is this maybe because the Luna is on a 47mm rim and and Duro is on a 42mm rim? It says Duro Wildlife Leopard 24 x 3.

Isaac

Size all depends on rim width, a Duro on an Alex DX32 is way different than a Duro on a Large Marge

Okay, thanks. I guess it’s just because the rim is 42mm wide. I am used to watching Uni-Geezers videos, and I guess that’s a Large Marge and a Gazz (I think a Gazz)

Okay, thanks though.

Isaac

The consensus is that a 3" Gazz and a LM is too much. (Santa Barbara crew)

One guy here runs a 26X3 Gazz on a LM, KH 29 frame, Maguras w/ addapters and likes it, so…?

Terry ran a Duro for a while. Now he has an Intense DH, which is in between the two in terms of squareness and volume.

Was it this one? https://unicyclist.com//t/pictures-of-your-uni/88514/3

That Muni looks pretty intense.

I would NEVER go back to the duro (wear out fast too) or god fobid the gazz! I run a 65mm wide LM rim and the Intense 24x3 DH tire. It is hands down the greatest MUni tire in existence.

Jamey of uniproshop.com has ALL remaining stock of these amazing tires, and he’s selling them for waaay less than the Duro, and the intense tires last much longer than the duro or gazz. I got 5 of the Intense tires! I can’t recommend them enough! They have a really awesome ad up at their site now: uniproshop.com

I would NEVER go back to the duro (wear out fast too) or the gazz! I run a 65mm wide LM rim and the Intense 24x3 DH tire. It is hands down the greatest MUni tire in existence.

Jamey of uniproshop.com just acquired ALL remaining stock of these amazing tires, and he’s selling them for waaay less than the Duro, and the intense tires last much longer than the duro or gazz. I got 5 of the Intense tires! I can’t recommend them enough! They have a really awesome ad up at their site now: http://uniproshop.com/

Im pretty new to actually muni-ing.

Today i did my first trail ride, and did some 4-5 foot drops. I have an 07 KH rim, and i think its already bent b/c my tire is rubbing on the frame. Its not a shim b/c it had equal side clearance and now it rub on one side for a spot. then centers. then rubs on the other side. Im only like 110-120 lbs, and i only have 3-4 hrs on the uni. Granted there is very small clearance already, but when i felt the rim, it was decenetly bent. Is this just b/c it is new and has to be tighten as the wheel “aclimates”? I really dont want to have to constantly true this rim, so is it just b/c its new, or are these weak rims.

By the way i have a Nimbus II frame and I am running a Duro Wildlife 24x3 tire, so the clearance is only like 1/8-1/4 inch to begin with.

Your wheel probably was never tensioned properly. Take it to your LBS and have them true it, make sure they do a good job, and watch them, so you know how to maintain it.

Issac - That’s the guy but he upgraded it to this.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=858292&postcount=94
I think there’s another guy on here also w/ a 26x3 on a LM, KH frame, but I may be mistaken.

Terry - $35 :astonished: I ordered one of those from my LBS a week ago and it cost me $50:(:o