Multi hole cranks - crank length for a 36er

I don’t use 150mm cranks. I use 127/110, but I want the VCX triple. I don’t see any use for a 150 unless it’s really windy or something like that, but of course I don’t really have hills. Maybe a triple crank from 89 to 125 could be made, #Roger??
I find 127 too long for my 29" too, the cranks just sorta moves too slow.

I run 125 for the most part and like that very much. Perhaps I could go shorter but 89 sounds nuts. I sometimes run 89 on my 24 and even my 26 but cannot imagine it on a 36. You are something else Roger!

89 is a great length for a 36. I used to ride it in town before upgrading to a Schlumpf hub. It takes time to be used to it but it’s really great then!

It’s fairly hilly here in Oslo. Can you do any real hills with 89 on a 36?

It’s hard but can be achieved. However I am cheater since I use clipless pedals :smirk:

Clipless pedals as well? You are a madman and I mean that entirely as a complement!:joy:

1 Like

I live in Northern England and it is also quite hilly here. I also don’t like getting off…

2 Likes

I’m all for trying this then but I think I should wait until I have a 36" with a brake as i have no clue how I would ever get the uni to stop when at speed without a brake. My knees would be broken after one ride.

A brake is a must have on a 36er, yes!

At 150 and even 125 I have been able to get away without one but I cannot imagine how I could go to a lower crank length without brakes. At least if I still want working knees into my old age.

I can’t imagine how you would manage climbs of more than about 7% with cranks that short, much less a steep hill.