Mud/dirt/water guard caps for dual-hole cranks

you’re down with the earth when you UPD.

So you want a percentage of “at no extra charge”? I think Kris would be willing to do that :slight_smile:

You people are seriously over-engineering what is an extremely simple problem with an obvious solution. Just keep pedals screwed into all of the holes. That way none of them can get clogged with dirt or, heaven forbid, water. I presume you all have some extra pedals laying around.

That would be silly - think of all the extra weight throwing the wheel off balance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob

I can’t find the post, but someone in this forum used MKS quick release pedals, and put the posts in both holes! This kept dirt out of the threads, and he could pop off the pedals and pop them onto the other position in a few seconds! Simply Brilliant.

http://www.ebikestop.com/mks_promenade_quick_release_road_pedals-PD4318.php

I’m not sure if I would want that 19 mm protrusion there turning all the time.

I’m not sure if I would want that 19 mm protrusion there turning closely around my pedal all the time.

I like the general idea, but those particular pedals don’t look like they have much grip, or would endure many falls.

at least it’s an original idea.

Um, maybe it’s just because it’s getting late, or maybe due to my blood alcohol content, which I’m trying to raise as I write, but I’m not getting the photo. Is that a quick-release pedal? If so, it’s way better than the one I saw from the prior link. And that plug looks very promising, but it’s not the quick release attachment, is it? So what is it???

the quick release pedal was in the link. the aforementioned photo shows a dual hole crank on a kids bike, which has its second hole plugged with a cap.

Ah, got it.
If that’s a plastic cap designed for the hole, it looks to be exactly what this thread was seeking. Know where to get them?

you just want the cranks! you have to hack the sheet metal chain rings off to do what you want to with them… Our system is superior. anyway… it’s a popular kids bike in most LBS.

Necro-buuuuump!

I’ve been wrapping my crank holes in a cut-out of a skinny inner tube (Something like a 700c roadie) and stretching it over, but I lost one and can’t be arsed finding another tube to butcher.

So instead, I did some digging in my shed and found some bar-end plugs for a kid’s bike (Much smaller than the ones for road bikes). The ‘thread’ part of them is very thin, and they’ve got these ribs going up them so they’ll slot into pretty much anything bigger than the centre. Something like these: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/282403735275-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

I filed the ribs down a little bit as on mine there were four, and the two middle ones were too big. Put it in my crank and gave it a whack, and it’s in there to stay! :smiley:

The length is just right too - it covers all the thread but doesn’t stick out the other side of the crank.

Looks a little cleaner than the inner tube wrap :roll_eyes:

I just tape.

Interesting thread.

After 3 or 4 years of riding my KH 36 on and off road in mud, slime, grit, sand, clay, rain, and dry, mainly on the long crank setting, I swapped to the short setting last week. The pedals just went in with no problem. I think we have a thread full of solutions to a largely imaginary problem.

Hmmm

• 1 :slight_smile:

Fair point. However, changes of crank length have been months and sometimes years apart. In between, the 36 has been ridden regularly through mud, rain, grit (etc.) and I was able to transfer the pedals without any need to clean the threads. But that’s me.

Mike, to be honest I think you’re right. It mostly came about for me when I went to swap my cranks to the long hole and had to dig in with a bit of kitchen roll first to clean some crud out, but I imagine if I just screwed it in without bothering it’d have just pushed the crud out the other side harmlessly anyway.

Oh well, the plugs look cleaner than a hole I think :smiley: