Mouting on a hill

Im having lots of trouble mouting on a hill that i am trying to go up. To mount on the hill i have to start down then turn back up. Does anybody have any tips on a more efficient way?

Re: Mouting on a hill

Scott.Stephens.ap1tb@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>
>Im having lots of trouble mouting on a hill that i am trying to go up.
>To mount on the hill i have to start down then turn back up. Does
>anybody have any tips on a more efficient way?

Another way is to ride perp to the hill and then turn 90 degrees into the
hill (rather than your 180 degree turn). That’s what I did a few times
today on my Coker.

David

Co-founder, Unatics of NY
1st Sunday / 3rd Saturday
@ Central Park Bandshell
1:30 start time after 11/1/01

I do a static mount (no rollback) going uphill on a 20" or a 24" uni. I do a rolling mount on a Coker on level ground and slight uphills. On a steep uphill I have successfully mounted a Coker with a running mount. I have found any kind of rollback on a steep hill causes problems but I would guess that taking a rollback mount to the limit (actually mounting and riding backwards down the hill a rev or so) might work. I haven’t tried it, though.

One way (is this cheating?) is to brace your wheel on a rock or root or something to prevent roll back.

If it’s not too steep, I use either an exagerated static mount with a lot more forward lean, or sometimes a roll-back mount helps (the little oomph you get when the saddle reaches up and under helps start your climb)

Holding the tire with your hand works too,esp on a Coker.
-Mark

Only cheating if you get caught. :slight_smile:

B

I do a static mount with the muni angled away from the top of the hill (say 45 degrees to the left). Mount and then 45 degrees to the right and up the hill.