Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR266C17-Magura+Disc+Brake+Adaptors.aspx

That is the adapter that needs to be used between the UCM and caliper for our 180mm rotor.

or this one for $6
http://search.bikeman.com/search/index?query=BR7345&Add+button.x=32&Add+button.y=13

You should call it “da BOM” Bolt On Mount

has a nice ring to it.

I have Dotek BMX cranks that were cut down from a larger size to 140’s.

*****Unless things have changed, front and rear brakes use the same caliper but different adapters. The good news is that you should have no problem finding a front kit with a hose long enough. Dual crown mtb forks require long lines. I think that the last 2 adapters you mentioned are rears and will not work.

ok, these are 180mm adapters for the front:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-DISC-BRAKE-MOUNT-ADAPTER-SM-MA-FRONT-180mm-P-S-/280451907371

I think I’m confusing everyone.

I’m stumped

sorry.

Hydraulic

Weld on:

if you weld on a mount or have a Triton with welded on tabs, a post style caliper with 160mm adapter (came with a 160mm rotor) will bolt right up.

Bolt on:

if you use the Uni-Caliper Mount that replaces the bearing cap of your unicycle, then you need a post style caliper with a front 180mm adapter (came with a 180mm rotor).

(If you need a long hose, some front brakes have long hoses for downhill bikes, but should you get a brake with the wrong adapter, there are cheap aftermarket front 180mm adapters that you can get. a Shimano front 180mm adapter can be had at virtually any bike shop or on-line inexpensively.)

Mechanical:

a front mechanical 160 or 180mm brake would solve the cable length issue and allow a shift lever as a drag brake. So far, all have proved too wide to fit next to the wheel with our system. Perhaps the Quad QMD-6 for $30-50 may fit, but untested. (see link 180mm adapter, and picture 160mm adapter.)

http://skagitcyclecenter.com/product/quad-qmd-6-mechanical-disc-brake-1215.htm

in the picture, see how the caliper bolts vertically into the adapter, that’s a 74mm post style caliper. see how the adapter bolts horizontally to a mount, that’s an ISO 51mm standard. the adapter offset of the adapter makes it fit 160,183,185,200,203,6",7",8" rotors. front and rear adapters are different and rear adapters will not work.

MountainUni rotors are 180mm and will need a 180mm adapter for the Uni-Caliper mount, or 160mm adapters for the frames with tabs or weld on mounts. MountainUni.com is trying to find some simple brake offerings for the site to sell and limit the confusion. What a pain in the ass to explain, or have to understand, my apologies. We are working on this.

414wtYh+HcL.SS500.jpg

I’ll struggle with details, for you folks… it will work. has anyone had headaches trying to put this together so far? These will be done Friday! UCM-1:

I’m having trouble understanding this part. The UCM puts the rotor out further from the central axis than the weld-on, right? So if anything, shouldn’t the weld-on mount require a greater offset than the bolt-on? Why does the weld-on only require 160mm adapters to fit a 180mm rotor? :thinking:

just a random question.
in wich cad program have you made the drawing?

Looks a little bit like Pro-Desktop but perhaps it’s Google Sketchup.

When will the bearing cap mount be available?

What caps will be utilized, i.e. KH, Triton, Surly, Nimbus?

How is performance affected, if at all, between a frame mounted brake and a bearing cap mounted brake?

Will an Avid BB7 fit or is it all hydraulics at this point?

Will the Sinz cranks work with a Schlumph?

What is the range of crank sizes available?

I think a read through the thread will give you the answers to most of those.
1:

2:
Have a read through and look at pics - from memory I think that KH, Nimbus, Triton (and probably Surly) will be compatible.
3:
I would have thought there would be a limited amount of flex from the bearing mount but that shouldn’t affect performance from the brake very much, perhaps a mm or so but that would only affect the initial grab a bit and not the overall performance very much.
4:
Pretty sure Avid BB7s are too wide (discussion on cable brakes a few pages back)
5:
Yes - this is one of the main points of it that it is.
6:
The Sinz cranks are hard to get (many pages on this) and in limited sizes so it depends what can be found I think. Not sure what people have atm (probably says further back in the thread).

47 pages, no webpage, and from the posts it seems like I’m not the only one confused, and you suggest I figure it out?

Okay, so I should just start buying the parts and figure it out as I go?

Three sets of cranks, three frame modifications or caps when available, three sets of brakes, three sets of rotors, total cost ~$1200, and I should just do it?

Yeah, right.

Can I get a PM from someone who can answer all of my questions?

Thanks.

Heh - well it was just a suggestion :smiley: I did try to answer questions…
I’m sure kb1jki will be able to answer all your questions when he’s next on. I suspect he’s been a bit busy with manufacturing etc but I’m sure a guide will be coming when all that’s sorted out.

:astonished: $1200… why not start with one frame/wheel to see if you liked it? I modified one frame and it fits my 24", 26" and 29" wheelset, 3 sets of cranks, 3 rotors, 1 brake caliper, one weld on adapter and a powdercoat and I’m only into it about $500 (because I found a deal on the cranks), and that’s not counting the money I got from selling a bunch of cranks and 2 sets of maggie rim brakes.

• 3 sets of cranks and rotors = $480 (without deals)
  • 3 disc calipers = $150-$300
  • 3 bolt on mounts = $180

Where are you getting = ~$1200?

the weld on puts the caliper at like 11:00, and the UCM puts the caliper at 10:00 -but the caliper is the same distance from the axle center. The weld on is a metal plate that comes off the frame with holes that will reach the caliper, it’s our weld on and not something off the shelf.

That is why the 160mm caliper will work with the 180mm rotor, we made it work with the most common bicycle disc brake. The UCM is more conventional and will need the correct adapter for our 180mm rotor, this is because we wanted it to work with more than our rotor. We have bigger plans for the future systems.

Solidworks old school.