Moab trails have been changed!

If you havn’t already looked the moab trails have been changed, there is no longer a “Hoppers” or “Pedalers on steroids” ride on saturday. go on the website to check this out!

They tell u why they have changed the trail plan.

im going on the Machos ride! Its 15 miles of the Porcupine rim trail, with very challenging terrain!:wink:

Thanks for the update. Ill probably decide which one to do when i get there(Machos or 5.2), depending on who else is doing which.

meh, I’m gonna probly do the sport, but I’ll end up going farther than 5.2. Or some combination. I dont’ think I’m up for 15 miles, but maybe.

Cool, I’m glad. I didn’t much like the old options, but… whatever. This souinds like it will work out better anyway.

With fewer options, we’ll probably ride with more people. That will be nice.

Hey paco, Im going to be in Provo from the weekend befor moab (19th) to thursday befor the event, It would be fun to do some rides in Provo befor moab weekend .

does anyone know how much farther u can go in the sport ride? Its 5.2 miles,but thats way to short of a trip.

also how long do u think the Machos ride will be from start to end?

it starts at 10:00 a.m.

Well the slickrock trail totals almost 15 miles I think, last year it took us something like 6 hours with all the rest breaks.

The Machos ride is all of the Porcupine Rim Trail. Porcupine Rim is not a loop trail, so the Machos ride ends up somewhere different than where it starts. The sport ride just follows the Machos Ride up to the canyon rim, and then turns around. If you want to ride further, you can just continue with the Machos group as far as you want to, and then turn around.

The elevation profile from where the trail hits the rim is flat for a while, and then starts to go down pretty steeply. Once you start going down, you might as well do the whole trail.

I think if you are going to do an out-and-back that’s further than the 5.2 miles, that you’ll probably have to arrange to leave a car at the trailhead, as most of the sport riders will be gone by the time you get back.

The big difference is that it won’t be a quarter mile straight down, then another quarter mile straight up for 15 miles (or at least, that’s what it felt like when I was running and riding to try and catch up with the main group). After the initial climb, it’s pretty much all downhill. I’m guessing it will be a lot faster this time.