Moab Excitement!

Few “old people” on this thread so far but I’m going chime in now. Yeah, I’m very excited about being there and meeting new people and riding and hopefully learning some new stuff and actually trying some muni riding (other than nicely groomed trails) and falling and crashing and burning and, and, and…

I feel pretty ready. Planning for this has forced me to finally buy some shin and elbow pads. I need to get some Clif Bars and remember to throw in a tire pump. I’m leaving Thursday after work and won’t get their 'til mid morning on Friday. This’ll really be my first time ever to ride with other unicyclists.

+1
I WANNA GO TOO!!!but i dont even have a muni:(

I think cody is a sweet rider, id wanna see him do some 540’s off some high stuff. Plus ive actually never met really anyone ive talked to on here.

If there’s a pool on “most likely to break equipment or get injured,” put money on Cody.

I’m totally stoked, as always; Moab is my favorite event of the year, and it’s been good over the past few weeks to see more and more names of people I’ve ridden with there show up on the list of attendees. I’ll be looking forward to seeing Ed Hansen, Dan Wilson and Uni (I hope! She’s not on the list of non-riding attendees), Mike Tierney, Paco, Jim Roberts and Omar and Nomar, Lloyd and Surly Burly, and of course, Rolf and the crew.

See you all there!

Well I was exctatic about goin this year, got a ride with Spence, allready paid registration…But at a trials comp this weekend I started playin on my flybar pogostick by a river on some rocks…my knee was allready hurting enough to make the hike to the river area very painful…I decided it was a dumb and fun photo op area so I started plain with the flybar on some fun lil rocks…My knee is twice its correct size and putting any pressure on it is devistating…Il try to make it out, if I can walk with a small limp il ride the trails…Here is the rock area I busted out on…

Ohh and Edit: I wouldnt put any money on me breaking uni parts if I go, put a lil on me breaking the rest of my body :wink:

Ouch, sorry to hear that, Cody.

OK, who had “before he even shows up” in the “When does Cody get injured” pool?

Maybe if you didn’t cut off the knee’s on your shin gaurds… :roll_eyes:

My brother has a flybar. It’s scary on uneven surfaces.

Lol I know I wish I could use them with the knee parts…But when i first got them if I tried using them all the way up to the knees it pushed them out of allignment and hurt like the dickens!

Damn your knee looks swollen even in the second picture (I’m assuming its the right knee in the picture). Woooo only two more days until I hop on a plane!

Your right, my left, look in the no footer pic, its the one that is bruised up…That pic was actually after I injured it…hurt to walk but I was not gonna back down for the pics my girl needed for her senior project. in the words Of Jake, im a real Die Hard!

Hey I know that pic! That’s where last year’s Keysville event was held! It was lake isabella area right?Here’s our group from '06

HAHAHA yeah man! Lol I can see Eriks uni has not changed at all :-D.

Edit: Ohh hay howcome you didnt come out this year, it was only hte 4 of us this time :(. And s you know just how painful that rock area can be :smiley:

I’m always excited to go to Moab! This will be our 5th year in a row. And to CKCrowe, you’re not at all too young. Beau was only 11 back when we went the first time and he had a blast - was able to ride the whole SlickRock trail. Here he is then: http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1091915#50770359
Everyone has fun there, from little kids to people even older than me.

We’ll be there Friday afternoon. See many of you there!

—Nathan

Im not sure, but Im probably going to be on the Slickrock practice loop somewhere/ or Barlett slickrock. If I see another unier I will go up to him,and we can ride around together.

Looking at Nathan’s photos of the trail, it looks like I would be better off with 165’s instead of 150’s on my 24 muni. True?

I loved my 170s for years, but since last Dec have been on 152mm. I’m used to it now and think it’s better for all but that 1% of riding that is super super steep. At Moab there is some of that, but I just love being able to spin faster with shorter cranks. What’s best for you is what works for you best.

—Nathan

Thanks, Nathan. Since I’m new at this, I think I’ll install the 165’s and bring the 150’s with me. My knees are pretty weak right now and I’m concerned about downhill. Uphill doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I forgot to mention that I have a brake and use it alot on the downhills!

See you there.

—Nathan

I switch back and forth between 150mm (for most of my riding) and 165mm (for Moab and related training). I think Slickrock really deserves long cranks.

Dang! You guys are makin’ me wish I HAD long cranks. I’ve got the 150s my 24" came with. Ah well, it’s what I’m used to. I’m kinda new at this muni thing so I’ll be sticking to ‘novice’ trails anyhoo.