Miyata Handle Solution?

I’ve decided to get a Miyata saddle for my custom unicycle but I’m worried about the problem of the lift handle breaking. Isn’t there something you could coat the handle with to strengthen it? I would’ve thought that surely you could just remove the handle, coat it in something strong, let it dry, and re-attach it. What’s wrong with this solution?

Thanks,
Andrew Carter

Re: Miyata Handle Solution?

andrew_carter wrote:

> Isn’t there
> something you could coat the handle with to strengthen it? I would’ve
> thought that surely you could just remove the handle, coat it in
> something strong, let it dry, and re-attach it. What’s wrong with this
> solution?

I don’t know if your solution of coating the handle is a good one or
not, but for $2.00 USD you can get a, GB4 Reinforcement plate which is
known to prolong the life of your handle.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=614

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks Jason. The problem is that I’f have to pay heaps for shipping the reinforcement plate over to Australia.

This is definitely a situation where you can find good info in previous threads. I reccomend a replacement handle, like the Kinport, but I can see how you wouldn’t want to ship something in.

Do a search in the forum for “frankenstein” or “frankenyata”. You should find instructions on how the Yoopers used a couple of bolts to discourage Miyata handle tearing. (If you can’t find the info, you can email or private message Yoopers or myself and we can explain it to you without boring others with recycled info).

As far as “dipping” the handle in some sort of re-inforcement material, that’s been discussed before, too, but I don’t think there was a satisfactory decision made.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

When I got my re-inforcement plate from Unicycle.com, they put it in an envelope taped to a piece of cardboard and sent it like they were mailing a letter. I’m sure that sort of postage to Australia is a lot less painful.

I have a reinforcement plate that they sent me but I don’t see how it would help; the handle always tears, for me at least, to the side.

The Frankenyata solution works really well and I’ve used it on 4 or 5 unis so far. Put washers on each side, though, in addition to what Bruce used. Here’s a parts list for one uni: Put the large washer (of course) on the outside. Ask for stainless steel or, if not that, then zinc plated. Oh, and threadlock on the screws.

2 10-24 x 1" machine screws, round head, Phillips slotted
2 #10 washers
2 10-24 nuts
2 3/16x1 fender washers

Good luck!

BTW the Reeder handle works really well for MUni; not sure yet about trials.