Me and two sons learning to ride.

Hello Everyone. :slight_smile:

About 6 weeks ago, I bought a unicycle from a garage sale for my two older sons to share, one is 8 and the other is 10. They didn’t show much interest in it initially, but a few weeks after that I bought my own. It’s an older 24" Schwinn, And I’ve been working on it when I get a chance, in the morning and afternoons. I have a gravel driveway that I was trying on and wasn’t making a whole lot of progress, but have been getting a nice collection of scrapes and bruises. :o I’ve since moved to my neighbors paved driveway, which the kids have permission to ride on. I’m still mostly hit and miss for whether I get anywhere or not, but yesterday I rode about 120 feet, which was pretty awesome.

My two boys have shown much more interest in the unicycle since I bought my own, so I found another one on offer up for $10 that I’ll probably pick up. That way they don’t have to keep adjusting the seat height. :stuck_out_tongue: Trying to keep costs down, but I’m thinking I’ll have to get them some wrist guards, knee pads, etc as well.

Anyway, I’ve been lurking for a little while, and though I’d introduce myself. Nice to meet you all. :slight_smile:

-Ben Simons

I started out with a $10 uni from a garage sale in December 2013 and learnt to ride it in the following January. My uni collection has now cost a few thousand dollars.

Learning on gravel sounds like a serious challenge.

It was challenging enough that I got over my fear of being seen on a unicycle in public. :slight_smile:

I’ve made it a couple hundred feet a few times each day now for a few days, and have had one or two successful free mounts. For my boys, learning to ride has been slower. At least at first. I took them down to the lake today, which has a nice, large and empty parking lot. Out of nowhere they went from going a couple feet, to going 30-50 yards. I was very impressed. :slight_smile:

Hello Ben,

Good idea on the safety gear. On my first day learning, I had the uni falling under me mostly and I landed on my feet. Somehow several days later, I had a bad fall. It was so sudden. Perhaps to the left slightly backwards. My t-shirt has dirt on the left back side. Luckily I had wrist protectors on. Even with wrist protectors, my left hand was swollen for two days (soft tissue injury) and till today my fingers are stiff. Without the wrist protectors, I probably would have broken my wrist.

So far, my max is about 5-6 ft :D. So you are way ahead of me in terms of progress. Total hours put in about 6 hours. :o Oh yeah I procrastinate. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.