Maybe I just learn tricks subconsciously (breakthrough!)

A couple of days ago my friend Bagpiperboy and I were riding around on the street practicing skills in the dimming twighlight. He was trying to learn how to ride with one foot and I was trying to learn to ride with my left foot only (I’ve already mastered only right footed). Anyhow, neither of us was getting any huge breakthroughs or anything, just one or two revolutions max. It was getting quite dark and we weren’t really progressing. I was trying to apply what I could do with my right foot to my left, but unsuccesfully. So the next day, I go out to ride a bit when I have some free time, and VIOLA! (that’s eureka, not big violin) I could ride an easy 6 revolutions! I then realized this was exactly what had happened when i had put in several hours learning to one foot with my right foot! My conclusion is that while i slept, my subconscious mind made new mental pathways allowing me to ride better the next day! I loved it! Obviouosly, 6 revolutions isn’t going to pass the skill level and it still needs some work, but to me i felt like i had had a huge breakthrough.

:sunglasses:

-Jon Davis

p.s. Has something similar to this ever happened to any one else?

>p.s. Has something similar to this ever happened to any one else?<

Yes I have actually
so this one day I wanted to lean one foot with my left and I’m pretty sure I got six revolutins in there somewhere

Re: Maybe I just learn tricks subconsciously (breakthrough!)

I juggle a lot in addition to doing uni-cycling, and I always take a
break from one trick when I’ve practiced it for a long time. I know that
if I practice this trick for 3 hours one day, and then put it away for
three or four days, I’m quite good at it when I try it afterwards. And
my juggling skills always increase when I’ve been to a
non-juggling-vacation.

Quite annoying when I’m standing there practicing and knowing if I just
stopped and waited, I’d learn it faster. But a great relief when I stand
there and know the trick without having practiced it…

When you manage to dream about the trick in your sleep, you know you’ve
done it :o)

Rasmus (who finally got some locktite on his left crank so he can start
practicing again. Weee!)

Re: Re: Maybe I just learn tricks subconsciously (breakthrough!)

I wish!

That kind of thing happens to me, so I head out in the morning convinced I know how to do it… then get a rude awakening as I hit the pavement.

Phil, just me

>That kind of thing happens to me, so I head out in the morning
convinced
>I know how to do it… then get a rude awakening as I hit the
>pavement.

Sorry… I guess it doesn’t work for everyone then :o)

Rasmus

> p.s. Has something similar to this ever happened to any one else?

I learned to slalom waterski in a dream.

-mg

i used to dream about riding one footed untill i could do it, then i started to dream about wheelwalking, and now i dream about coasting.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:34:14 -0500, JonnyD
<JonnyD.6zpta@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>VIOLA! (that’s eureka, not
>big violin)
I think you mean VOILA. No danger of confusion with any musical
instrument.

Klaas Bil

This has happened to me a few times. I’ve talked before about mental blocks that can get built up, and when you stop trying so hard, you surprise yourself.

Also, I had reached a point (after a LOT of practice) about a month ago where I could glide 5M consistently downhill. A few days later I was doing 10-15M no problem. Got busy with other things and didn’t touch gliding for a few weeks. When I got back to it a few nights ago, I was relaxed and rested. After a few warm-ups I was doing 60 to 100M quite easily. Boy was that cool. Rest and gestation definitely helps when you are trying something new.

Joe

This has happened to me a few times. I’ve talked before about mental blocks that can get built up, and when you stop trying so hard, you surprise yourself. (Happened with me with one foot also)

I had reached a point (after a LOT of practice) about a month ago where I could glide 5M consistently downhill. Certain muscles, un-accustomed to the extreme work, were getting pretty tired. Even so, a few days later I was doing 10-15M no problem. Got busy with other things and didn’t touch gliding for a few weeks. When I got back to it a few nights ago, I was relaxed and rested. After a few warm-ups I was doing 60 to 100M quite easily. Boy was that cool. Rest definitely helped in this case.
Joe

non-riding

ive been off a unicycle for the last week and a half, since the thread between my crank and pedal(left side, is it always the left side? and im a lefty!) are completely gone(this means that the pedal can slide in and out with no effort at all…) it took it out of my trunk of my car today and said screw it, its already busted, might as well use it instead of waiting for my new MUni to come in. i did 3… things i had never done before!! first i went down my grassy hill in the front of my house, and rode up my gravel driveway, then i idled 7 times back and forth, very wobbly, but heck, it was my first time! and on a busted pedal! then i proceeded to grab the seat, and hop 5 times, then ride again!

i only hope i can repeat the performance once i get my new badass MUni!

Re: non-riding

I’m a lefty; but it’s my right pedal that’s come off twice and my right crank that came loose at the weekend.

Dunno why; I’d have thought most of my weight would be on the left. It could be lots of bouncing, I suppose; presumably that would force the pedal in the “wrong” direction…

Phil, just me