May have figured out the Click issue with KH cranks...

clicks make your uni sound like a badass intense downhill bike thing that took abuse. It helps if it looks the part, but it’s just the character of the uni. I’ve got a click in my right pedal, but I don’t mind. It’s part of my uni’s uniqueness, even if it’s a standard KH.

well it seems like i figured it out :slight_smile:

took it to a bike shop and the shop guy and i went over every little piece of the uni. we tightened the pedals they were slightly loose…the sound was still there. he checked the spokes with some type of guage and he found out they were all tight. i then asked if he had a long arm allen wrench…he came back with a foot long 8mm allen wrench and i tightened the hell out of the crank bolts…the click sound has stopped. awesome.

can you tighten the cranks too much?

John

i heard that around 80foot-pounds you strip the thread and need a new hub…but i may be wrong.

If you hold your wheel from spinning, and try to turn a crank, is there play?

I had play (about an eigth) in my right crank. I remedied it using JB weld.

Solution!

John,

I had the same problem and figured out it was the spokes. On my 29er after riding it for a few months I ended up with a click at one per revolution at the same spot. It turned out that it was the spokes rubbing where they crossed. I could not figure out which ones were making the noise. What I did to solve it (and it worked and has not come back) was to rub a candle on the spokes on each side of where they cross so that if they move and flex when riding the wax prevents any noise from occurring.

It was driving me crazy too. Try it. Let me know if it works, I hope it does.

Carey

:astonished: :frowning:

Yes, but I wouldnt worry about it with the tool that you described.