Marmite.5 (join the journey)

Rather than sending that used jar of Marmite all over tarnation, may I suggest somebody send Adam a T-shirt… nearly every pic of him on this forum has been shirtless.

Gilby, doesn’t moderator priveleges entitle him to a Unicyclist.com T-shirt?

The picture of your nipple sans Marmite was completely gratuitous, Adam…

Of course, if you’re not lactating right now, it’s understandable… but just who are you trying to tempt?

Thoroughly enjoyable photo-essay of the Marmite experience! Thanks!

The majority of the last 6-8 weeks of my life have been spent shirtless due to my neck injury. I’m still adjusting to wearing shirts again. However, this week I’ve returned to both school and work. Tuesday and Thursday will be the busiest of my school days. So what did I wear today to my first busy day at school? You guessed it, my red Unicyclist.com t-shirt. I also have a collection that includes a grey one with blue lettering, and a blue one with white lettering. I’ll post pictures later of the red shirt so you don’t doubt that I actually wear shirts.

Sorry, Adam! I didn’t mean to be insensitive about your injury!

Actually, I was assuming you were shirtless on account of the sheer unendurable mugginess of August.

I have to wear a shirt and necktie everyday, so, I was a little envious of your topless look!

It’s August, and you’re going back to school? Don’t they have teachers’ strikes in Florida?

Oh, I forgot! Jeb Bush is the governor. (Duck!)

It is quite muggy here in Florida. Yesterday was completely horrible, but so far it’s been raining for the last 6 or 7 hours it seems. I’m not sure about the strikes, but as far as I know, none of the teachers at my school are on strike. :slight_smile:
Good ol’ community colleges…

I went for the topless look to match the topless Marmite. :wink:

First comment…This is too much! Too much fun, that is. Adam, glad to see the jar of Marmite made it to you in one piece. I sincerely apologize for sending it naked. I bet it was quite a shock to open a package and find a naked jar staring you in the face. Thanks for doing the decent thing and covering it up quickly.

Second comment…topless and lidless are two separate things. Don’t forget, I’m guessing that lid must be of 24 caret gold plate or something as the cost of the 4.4 oz. jar was in excess of $5.00. By the way Britons, is it really that expensive in the U.K.? Can one really afford to eat it everyday as a common food?

For those who have not yet tasted this delicacy, as Adam claims, the taste and smell are undescribable things, not that they’re horrid, just undescribable…except for those of us with experience with hairball medicine. To attain a complete and satisfying UNICON experience, try to get in line with the Marmite.5 journey. For those who were not able to attend UNICON XI, here’s a great chance to literally taste a part of the action. Send an email to Adam at camf at hotmail.com

I wish we could do the same with a bottle of Thomas Kemper.5 root beer but I wouldn’t want to be the last one on the list for the last swig of the bottle.

Bruce

I do wear shirts.

so do I

me.jpg

Root Beer experience

The other week I warned that I’d post about my first timer experience with this seemingly legendary root beer after I got back from working in Houston for a week. So here goes…

1. enter gas station
  2. go to chiller cabinet.
  3. extract then pay for 1 root beer (plus 1 Baby Ruth, but I don’t want to complicate this story :roll_eyes: )
  4. Return to car and crank the air con up to full - you don’t go from a Scottish 19’C to a Texan 32’C with ease.
  5. Unscrew top slowly.
  6. Raise bottle and let the smell hit you (severe doubts about going any further at this point)
  7. Take sip.
  8. Yeeeuuch :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
  9. Screw lid back on hurriedly.

This stuff is seriously disgusting. I’d been told it was similar to the mouthwash you get at dentists, but I would say it is identical with the exception of being carbonated. I took another couple of sips later on to confirm my original opinion, but it actually managed to taste worse as it had warmed up a little. I would rather eat a spoonful of neat Marmite than drink this stuff.

Apologies to those of you who actually like this stuff. Do you have some sort of support group the equivalent of Alcoholics Anonymous?

Have fun!

Graeme

Thanks, Graeme. Great report.

Before UNICON, my family and I played in our neighborhood, went to our local church on Sunday, Mary walked 4 blocks to her work and I drove the 5 blocks to work and then home again everyday (I have a company truck…poor me!), followed my kids to their activities (Which, I admit, sometimes took us into Chicago for soccer games. I suppose Chicago could be considered an international experience), then got up the next morning and did it all again.

UNICON was and continues to be quite the education for my family. I’ve always been interested in other cultures and expected to be introduced to such at UNICON. But I don’t think we ever expected to gain SO much from our experience. I know there’s been lots of shouts of “Off-topic, off-topic!.” But in all seriousness, UNICON was for us much more than just unicycling and I consider these subjects and discussions as part of our continuing UNICON experience.

My family and I had the privilege of staying in Connie Cotter’s home last April and one of her comment sticks in my mind, “Unicycling has changed my life.” After getting to know her and Andy, I can see that her comment is indeed true. I believe her comment’s unspoken meaning is that the realm of unicycling which includes so many more avenues than just riding around on one wheel has made this change for her.

I hope the same for my family and can see it rapidly occuring now. I can’t wait for the next UNICON experience!

The Edwards’ Bunch
Bruce, Mary, Ben, and Brad

… and so Bruce posts the de rigueur token “Unicycle” mention in between the ever-spreading beer-vat-dregs extract. :wink:

It’s really starting to look like Marmite sold its soul to the Devil for immunity from the Topic Police.

i would have to agree.this stuff must be a Narcotic,clouding the minds of all who wanted mindless chatter somewhere else.(remember last week?)

Huh… ?

Wha… ?

Oh, last week… yeah, … uh,

Huh?

doo doo doo… heh heh! uh huh uh huh uh… doo doo… mmm hmmm mmm , hey hey!..doooo…

Huh?

Mmmm… mmmah-ma… mamamamaaaa…

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291439737

Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

yoopers unicycled into the room and said

> Second comment…topless and lidless are two separate things. Don’t
> forget, I’m guessing that lid must be of 24 caret gold plate or
> something as the cost of the 4.4 oz. jar was in excess of $5.00. By the
> way Britons, is it really that expensive in the U.K.? Can one really
> afford to eat it everyday as a common food?

A 500 gm jar is GBP 4.19 in my local Safeway, thats about USD 6.30 …ish,
erm i think 500 gms is about a 17-18 ounces.

i often have marmite on toast for brekkie

have you tried Marmite Soldiers yet?

Trev

Trevor Pearce-Jones

¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸ [email]Trevpj@globalnet.co.uk[/email] Devizes. Wiltshire. England. °¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´

Re: Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

Of course your lightly breaded question begs the following followup question which follows your followup to my question on the cost of Marmite:

What are Marmite Soldiers?

Bruce

yoopers sought to expand his cultural education by asking:
> What are Marmite Soldiers?

Butter a slice of bread. Cut it in half (to produce 2 rectangular halves,
not 2 triangular halves). Then make 3 or 4 evenly spaced cuts perpendicular
to your first cut, giving you 8-10 buttered bread fingers. These are known
in the UK as soldiers and are traditionally dunked in the yolk of soft
boiled eggs.

If you toast the bread and spread Marmite on it before cutting, you have
Marmite soldiers.

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain,
dangerous to the lungs and in the black, stinking fume thereof nearest
resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless” - James
I/VI on tobacco

Bruce what do you mean what is a Marmite Soldier?

Everyone knows marmite soldiers are the defenders of earth and all thing marmitey. They made a movie about it a few years ago i think. I dont know why anyone whould want to eat one though…

I can’t imagine what the hell you would do with more than 1 oz of Marmite, let alone 16-17.

Re: Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

I see. Then I had a squadron air raid this morning for “brekkie”, eggs over easy on top of uncut toast. I’ll have to try a Marmite squadron air raid.

We Americans have a much more flamboyant and highly technical term for soldiers…we call them bread sticks. But our tradition for bread sticks is to butter and garlic them and dip them in pizza sauce.

(psssst…just to keep us barely on topic, I did first hear about all this at UNICON. Does that count?)

Bruce

thanks for so eloquently explaining Danny :slight_smile:

Marmite soldiers may be the secret weapon referred to in a previous post
:wink:

trev

Trevor Pearce-Jones

¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸ [email]Trevpj@globalnet.co.uk[/email] Devizes. Wiltshire. England. °¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: 29 August 2002 21:11
Subject: Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

> yoopers sought to expand his cultural education by asking:
> > What are Marmite Soldiers?
>
> Butter a slice of bread. Cut it in half (to produce 2 rectangular halves,
> not 2 triangular halves). Then make 3 or 4 evenly spaced cuts
perpendicular
> to your first cut, giving you 8-10 buttered bread fingers. These are
known
> in the UK as soldiers and are traditionally dunked in the yolk of soft
> boiled eggs.
>
> If you toast the bread and spread Marmite on it before cutting, you have
> Marmite soldiers.
>
> –
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
> Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
> “A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain,
> dangerous to the lungs and in the black, stinking fume thereof nearest
> resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless” -
James
> I/VI on tobacco
>
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>