Marmite.5 (join the journey)

I will be contacting Roger shortly from unicycle.uk
I will be working out a purchase of one jar of authentic Marmite. The claims are that a 4.4 oz jar of this stuff can make up to 300 pieces of toast. I am going to compose a list of people interested in trying this stuff, and will construct a wooden crate to ship the Marmite in. Each person will have two days with the Marmite, and can post their thoughts/opinions in a specific thread. After the person is done taste tasting the Marmite it will be shipped off to the next person on the list. If you’d like to e-mail me to put your name on the list, then please do. I will be composing a list of addresses and working out a shipping route to minimize time between stops. Please send e-mails to camf at hotmail.com if you’re interested in being on the list!

Adam,

You made me laugh! What a gas of an idea but a fun one too. No toast crumbs in the Marmite, please. If you’re serious about this, I know were to buy it and it’s authentic. I also talked to the local Jewel foodstore and the manager is checking the availability to stock in his exotic aisle. I could start the jar on it’s way from here. If it runs out, we could always purchase another. Although I have to think that it may be better to use individual sample packets if such is available. Roger???

What will come of UNICON next time - mailing raw fish around the country so everyone can have a nibble? Maybe I’d better not go there.

This is great. I love the continuing international experience and education of UNICON.

Now, how can we get root beer, Twinkies, and Hershey’s products to England?

Bruce

What’s the .5 stand for in this one? Or is it just the new trend in naming stuff now days? Out with the X, and in with the .5!

Bruce,
That would be wonderful of you. I’m sure one jar will last the trip, but I’m going to go ahead and buy an emergency backup jar just incase something goes wrong. I might actually take you up on the offer of purchasing here, as oppose to having it shipped overseas. This will cut down shipping time and get everything start much quicker. I’m going to try and get some dimensions on it so I can construct a crate or container to store this in. I’m going to make it big enough so people can include written impressions, photos, or the like.

As this thread grows I’m sure we’ll come up with many reasons to why it’s called Marmite.5

For a 4.4 oz. jar:

marmite jar.jpg

As with the Uni.5 where a little peddling goes a long way, a little Marmite goes a long way.

Sir Bruce

I think the 4.4oz jar should be sufficient. I was attempting to locate a larger sample online, but most of them are in Britain and the shipping alone is 3 times what the price of the Marmite costs! I think I might find a suitable tupperware container that can be wrapped up and shipped, this will help keep peoples shipping rates down as it makes its round.
As of now, I’ll be relying on you Bruce to acquire the Marmite.

Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

Is this a sarcastic spin on the fairy tale I have been searching for? I have been told that there were only a handful of copy’s published. If you have a copy I am willing to make you an offer. It will make an excellent addition to my collection

Would you like for me to send you a jar? I’ll be out at a jobsite later this week and can stop by the store. If so, send me your name and address in an email. Here’s my email address: yoopers at inwave.com

Bruce

Wonderful Bruce, you’ve got mail.
May this journey take off and exceed the uni.5, and may we all get Marmite brandings… ahh the dream coming true.

Still working on sample size packets. My first contact failed but I have
others. Will tell you when I get them, they will be easy to send as they
are so small.

Cheers

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: Marmite.5 (join the journey)

>
> Adam,
>
> You made me laugh! What a gas of an idea but a fun one too. No toast
> crumbs in the Marmite, please. If you’re serious about this, I know
> were to buy it and it’s authentic. I also talked to the local Jewel
> foodstore and the manager is checking the availability to stock in his
> exotic aisle. I could start the jar on it’s way from here. If it runs
> out, we could always purchase another. Although I have to think that it
> may be better to use individual sample packets if such is available.
> Roger???
>
> What will come of UNICON next time - mailing raw fish around the country
> so everyone can have a nibble? Maybe I’d better not go there.
>
> This is great. I love the continuing international experience and
> education of UNICON.
>
> Now, how can we get root beer, Twinkies, and Hershey’s products to
> England?
>
> Bruce
>
>
> –
> yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> yoopers’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19897
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

yoopers <yoopers.9puga@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
> Although I have to think that it
> may be better to use individual sample packets if such is available.

They do exist, I’m not sure if they are sold tho, I think they might only
be avalible from marmite as a promo give away. How do I know this? Because
a few years back, the goodie bag given to new students at Britol
University included ( along with condoms and leaflets on not drinking to
much) a sample size blister pack of marmite.

The International students I was shareing digs with were mixed in their
reacton to the stuff.

Sarah

Anything goes

Since even Gilby joined this (yes it is!) non-Unicycling thread, I suggest to all the long-suffering email-accessors:

If ya can’t beat 'em, join 'em!

Gilby, if you want to try for corporate sponsorship based on the popularity of Marmite within the Unicyclist.com community, here’s the contact URL:
mmmmMarmite!

I’m still waiting for the Marmite to reach Florida. Which is quite odd because last night I had a dream where I got the Marmite in the mail, and when I woke up this morning I was going to try some. I then realized I actually hadn’t receieved it yet.

AN
TI
CI
PA
TION!

An-ti-ci-pa-ya-tion is making you wait!

It’s keeping you wai-ya-ay-ee-ting!

Hope it’s worth it! :astonished:

if it wasn’t for the customs issues getting the stuf into and out of south africa, i’d get my name on the list
not that i dont know marmite
i do
and it’s a favourite of mine
i’m simply curious to find out if the spread that started this whole phenomenon is the same as the stuff i’m used to
if all other supply sources dry up, give me a shout
i’ll happily send a jar over

Let the journey begin! I will be sampling this stuff after I return from school this evening!

I think that if you’re going to all the expense of sending Marmite
around the world, you should at least include Vegemite as a
comparison. Come to think of it the Marmite found in New Zealand is
different to that in the UK. Heck, send all three! That way we could
establish which is the superior yeast extract - a hotly debated topic
in all the flats I’ve ever lived in.

A word of caution: don’t bother sending any yeast extract.5 to Darren
Bedford. At UNICON he could not be tempted to consume any of the three
above. He described the smell as ‘worse than 6-month-old unwashed
Roach armour’.

Good luck
Tony Melton

I agree that the smell is far from great, here is the thread with my review and my photo journey.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19966