Making a B+ MUNI!

No updates yet, I’ve still got some stuff at the powder coater and my chain reaction cycles order still hasn’t arrived. So I’m dead in the water for now. But believe me as soon as it’s done I’ll post it here.

Could you mesure the height of the tire? when it’s pumped on a rim?

Before when I measured it was very nearly 29" dead on, my rim is still at the powder coater though. I finally got my chain reaction cycles order, I only had to wait a month and a half. so now all I have to do is get my frame back then assemble! (i’m also going to get SS hardware for everything too…)

Watching your project with great interest. Which tire did you get? Folding bead or wire, 72 or 120 tpi?

I used a 120 TPI folding bead, I wanted the 72 TPI folding to get a little thicker sidewalls, but they didn’t have stock. But the tire has pretty thick sidewalls even at 120 TPI. Definitely not as thick as a DH tire, but thicker than the kenda small block 8 tires I have on my MTB. Also, I think my frame might be ready from the powder coater, so hopefully I can pick that up today and get this thing put together.

Got some Trax Fats on the way, 27.5 x 3.25 :slight_smile:

Nice
So whats missing now is a 27.5 KH rim …

IMO, not really. The Velocity Dually is going to plenty suitable, and I bet the WTB Scraper is the same way.

May be because I think it’s been discontinued. It’s not on there website. Just the regular Trax.

Vee rubber seem to have 2 website; it can be found here http://veetireco.com/product/trax-fatty/

The powder coater was running behind schedule due to ice on the roads for the past week causing us southerners not to drive, so I’ve got about a week til that’s done… :frowning:

Well They finished the powder coating, but the did the frame like a bike fork so they are re-doing it. In the meantime I finished my wheelbuild and it fit in my 32" frame with the tire! I guess I’ll just have extra clearance with my frame when its done.

I’m finally done!

I still have to cut down the seat post, I’m not that tall.

BTW for those curious the decals are from somethingartistic.net. They’re cool.

Wow, great Muni!

That’s because you are using a narrower rim.

I am mounting mine on WTB Scarpers, they are a little wider at 45mm ID.

It’s a good tire, only 100gm heavier than the HD, but far higher volume.

Finally got a bit of mud on the new uni, It definitely is a new experience riding with a fatter tire, it is super cushy and grabby. I think I’ll try a little higher PSI next time to get used to it. But the tire was fantastic through the mud, I was riding sections deep enough to make MTB’s walk so that was cool.

Also I just noticed the Panaracer Fat B Nimble is out with an advertised width of 3.5", although in reality it measured just 71 mm ~ 2.8" on a WTB scraper rim, so thats narrower than the 3.25" trax on a 5 mm wider rim, gotta love sidewall numbers.

I was able to borrow this at the STOMP muni fest last week, and ride a mile or two of trail - I really really liked it! It felt just as fast as my 29", but more nimble and light, with extra cushioning to boot. My 29 is the same frame, and I’m seriously thinking about doing the same mod to it.

The uni is also just as good looking in person as in the photos!

Hub

What hub are you using on there? I thought the rim was a 32hole that you are using and the only hub I see with a inner disc brake mount is a 125mm and the Drak frame fits the 100mm hubs unless it can fit either? I am looking into building up a setup like this with my Drak Frame also that is why I am asking and wondering.

I think it’s the regular Nimbus steel hub, repainted white - on the UDC web site here.

Thanks! I didn’t see the disc mount on the hub when I first looked. Now it makes sense.