Made my goal + snow quistion

I made my goal of learning to ride before we get a foot or two of snow. The only thing stopping me is free mounting which I am getting a lot better at. I still can’t turn around but that will come. I have ordered my self some 661 pads (btw www.pricepoint.com sells 2x4 arm pads for $13.00 usd) I hope to be riding to my friends house soon (its about a mile)

Also it is going to give is some snow down here and I was wondering if there is anything that I should know about riding in the snow?

Thanks,
Juggling_Arcs

Oh yeah I finally got that acursid boot-cast-thingie off my foot YEAH!

congrats on making your goal!

the lower you can run your air pressure the better it will be to keep you ontop of the snow

try not to turn too sharply, too quickly on ice (the less you tilt the wheel over, the easier you can stay up)

wear layered clothes so you can take them off as you heat up

I always start out cold (minus my big gloved hands) because I know I will quickly be too hot anyways, I never ride in the cold with more than a turtleneck and a waterproof jacket
-RaceFace Auqanot

I have a small cloth ‘skull cap’ that i can wear under my helmet, it’s very thin, but keeps the heat in and ears covered. once it gets around -25c i will wear a toque instead of a helmet

do they salt the roads there? i throw my uni in the tub after ever ride and hose it off. no need to dry off the clean water, let it drop dry (the salt and crap will corrode your stuff and cause it to rust) pay attention to bearings (main, and pedal)

read up on how to check for frostbite

Re: Made my goal + snow quistion

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:59:45 -0600, “Juggling_Arcs” wrote:

>Also it is going to give is some snow down here and I was wondering if
>there is anything that I should know about riding in the snow?

You should know that it’s slippery stuff :slight_smile:

Seriously, no. Brian’s post prepares you for the serious stuff but
simply riding in not too deep snow is not that difficult. Freemounting
is special in that you cannot exert too much force on the first pedal.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I figure it’s pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall