lower psi = 360 unispin

as the title suggests, the other day i was riding after recently having pumped up my tire. i couldnt 3even come close to 360 unispinning, even tho i can usually at least land on the cranks then fall of after.(its a commitment thing…). so i figured why not try with a lower psi. so i let my tire down, a little too flat, and tried and got it. i may be crazy but if anyone else has also found this let me know.

it makes sence lower psi would mean wider surface area (and stability) as you land increasing the likely hood that you would land it

I remember Andrew Carter made a tutorial video on hopspins and said that lower PSI makes it easier to hopspin, it makes sense it’d work the same for unispins.

Waaaaiiiiit…

If I lower my PSI will there be less weight round the wheel? So would it make flips easier?

I don’t want to know about stability or softer landings.

Mike

I noticed this a very long time ago, for me everything in street is hard with a high PSI tire, for me this is because I preload the tire slightly when I do 360 unispins, I cant hop as high with a high PSI tire…

i think it’s easier with less PSI, because then the rebounce of the tyre is bigger, but if you can do tricks like a unispin really good then it doesn’t matter how much presure is in your tyre, perhaps it’s a bit harder then with more.

I can do the 360 unispin easyly on my trials and on my freestyle now

I disagree, with a higher tire pressure, if you’re strong enough and have good enough form to compress the tire all the way then the rebound is way way stronger and will help push you upwards a lot more.
I remember Ryan Atkins saying that he rides his 20" trials with 28 PSI or so…which is a lot compared to most riders, and he’s a lot better hopper compared to most riders.

For fast unispins I like a higher psi tire because it pivots better on the ground. If its lower psi then there will be more surface area of the tire on the ground and its harder to spin. If you pick the uni up higher off the ground then it would be different.

I don’t know but now that I think of it it might. No, nevermind the weight added around the wheel keeps it moving.

I have a solution…do them like mine…no friction, my uni is in the air L*L

I am in agreement with Mr. Potter’s statement.

The advantage to be gained from lower pressure is that of easier preloading and easier recovery. As Mr. Atkins demonstrates, hops don’t require a specific air pressure, but they do require specific technique to perform.

One explanation for the original poster’s experience is that he’s finding it easier to preload his tire with lower PSI. If he’d practice more at his “normal” PSI I’d bet he’d be able to 360 just as well.

Recently I’ve upped my trials tire pressure and have had to relearn some techniques, but I find the gains outweight the renewed learning curve… I don’t bottom out anymore, nor do I experience foldover as much, and the uni feels much more responsive… since the tire isn’t so squishy I can make my turns and moves with much more precision.

Could this be because you haven’t practiced much with a high PSI tire?

Off course I havnt practiced much with one ;-). I find it uncomfortable just to ride with a high PSI tire…

It may or may not be better to ride with a higher PSI tire, but it is certainly the case that a higher PSI tire has the potential to bounce higher. It’s like a basketball; the more you pump it up, the higher it bounces, but at high pressure it’s not as easy to control.

I ride with 30 PSI, which is pretty high I guess.

I havent tried lowering my pressure, and I dont think I will. I dont need to.