Lost Beginner

Hi guys, I just got my first “uni” for christmas and I’ve logged about an hour on it so far.
All that I"ve really accomplished is getting some bumps. I’ve looked everywhere and all
I’ve been able to find is tips for individuals, what I’m wondering is how did you learn?
I’ve put two saw horses next to each other and try to sit there, but I can only stay there
in the “dead” position. Also I’m wondering which side of the uni is forward? my seat is a
little longer on one side then the other. There are no railings or fences out here that I
could use. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated!! thanks!

try the tips on www.muniac.com

The pedals and/or cranks on your unicycle may be marked L and R. This is your best reference. If not, the seat tube on the frame should have a split in it to allow some type of clamp to compress it against the seat post. This should be in the back. This is your second best reference. The seat should be slightly longer and narrower at the front. Seats can easily be rotated the wrong way so consider this your worst reference.

If you are just beginning, check out the unicycle page

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/howtoride.html

for tips on how to ride. There are also many threads on this site dealing with beginning riding issues.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I’ve noticed that many sites say its best to learn with someone else,
or with someone who knows how to ride already. If Anyone is in the greater Baton
Rouge area and got a uni for christmas or knows how to ride one already and is
looking for someone else to fart around with I’d love to learn with you, I can teach
you to juggle in exchange! I go to lsu so I’d not beable to practice till the 22nd of january
when the semester starts again, but if anyone out there is looking for a riding partner
I’d even ride with someone from New Orleans!! drop me a line a cberri1@lsu.edu !! thanks

I learned how to ride my unicycle without anything to hold onto. I kept getting on and off, falling on and falling off, it took me about 3 days to really get the hang of it before I could right (about 6 hours). Now I’ve been riding for less than 2 weeks and I’ve come such a long way. Best of luck. This board is probably your best bet to learn how to ride, everyone here is extremely helpful.

you can try leaning agais a wall for practis, and how can the be no rails?
you can find rails… at the supermarket
try unicycling behind a shopping cart.
have you got stilts? use them as canes to help you lern

rails at the supermarket can be found in the cart storedge area.

dan

“cbearagain” <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:a0dgd6$6r3$1@laurel.tc.umn.edu
> Hi guys, I just got my first “uni” for christmas and I’ve logged about
> an hour on it so far. All that I"ve really accomplished is getting some
> bumps. I’ve looked everywhere and all I’ve been able to find is tips for
> individuals, what I’m wondering is how did you learn? I’ve put two saw
> horses next to each other and try to sit there, but I can only stay
> there in the “dead” position. Also I’m wondering which side of the uni
> is forward? my seat is a little longer on one side then the other. There
> are no railings or fences out here that I could use. Any ideas would be
> greatly appriciated!! thanks!

I learned in a dorm hallway. I used both walls to keep my side-to-side
balance. There are probably lots of places to learn; you just have to
think of them. I was thinking of practicing some skills at work where
there are lots of cubicles and narrow hallways, although my co-workers
would probably think I was nuts.

I’ve been riding for about 4 months now and learned by myself. I just held on to the corner of a building and rode into the great blue yonder. It worked for me. I can now go off curbs, and do some basic MUNI trails. I enjoyed learning this way because it really makes me become aware of what I am doing, weight and foot placement, pressure on pedals etc.
I’m sure it takes longer then having others help but it gives a great sense of accomplishment.
The bonus is you learn about falling quickly and often. :slight_smile: