Los Angeles Muni Weekend details

Thanks for taking that one in the spirit in which it was offered. Can’t wait to see the footage. :slight_smile: You’ve captured some great stuff on your local-area rides, so the next logical extension is to “go regional”. Then bring cam to Moab, so you can “go national”.

Yeah I sure hope to make Moab in’07! I still haven’t gotten around to sifting through the footage I took at this year’s CMW; got lots of cool footage just waiting to be edited and posted here!:smiley:

I might come on Sunday, definately can’t make it to the other days.

Such as? I’d like the music to have a “timeless” quality, without being too “undergorund” that the general pop won’t recognize. I think there’s something comforting in music we all know. But then again, let’s see…(edit) HEAR what you have!:slight_smile:

Sounds good. I hope I can make it because so far it looks like G-spot/devil’s slide is the only venue I can attend.

Il try and bring the crazy!!!

But ummm…I would have to findsomeone to stay with…I can drive and all that goodness…but my fam is out of town that weekend so I dont think theyl let me grab a hotel room lol…

If there is anyone that is going i might be able to entertain…err i mean crash with :wink: PM me please

Awesome! I’m in.

G-Spot here I come!

Ditto.

Hello,

Haven’t posted here in around 2 years. For that matter, haven’t ridden in about a year.

A muni meetup in the LA area sounds great – I’m a freshman at USC now. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring out any muni geer to college with me. With my kh24 sitting at home in Maryland it looks like I’ll have to pass this one up.

–Grant

You own a KH24 and you went 3000 miles away to college and DIDN’T bring it?!? :astonished: :astonished:

Get your parents to put in a box and ship it out. Cost about $30! Some disassembly required. I take mine when I fly anywhere. Oh, real sorry about your football team.
Devoted Cal fan.

Go Bears!

LA Muni weekend further details and directions

Here are the final directions to the meeting points for the rides. Use these, not the original post, as some details have changed slightly.

Attached are maps that show the meeting point and roads in the vicinity. Also attached are Google Earth waypoints for each meeting point, if you want to eyeball the trail and terrain a bit. A little info is included in the waypoint properties. Caution: don’t use the attached waypoints to generate directions - you won’t end up in the right place.

Link to maps: http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=289228

If you’re coming, email eyal@sbuni.org with a cell phone number. Should there be any last-minute changes, you’re going to want us to call you with the new information.

Friday – 1pm:
Suicide Connector, Agoura Hills (45 Minutes West of Pasadena area)

Meeting point: Trail base in Oak Canyon Community Park.

Directions: Get yourself on the 101 freeway, heading toward Agoura Hills (West of Pasadena area). Exit Kanan Road and head North. Drive for several miles and turn right on Hollytree, and quickly take the first left into Oak Canyon Community Park. Drive to the third (and final) parking lot on the left.

Saturday – 9:30am:
Southridge Park, Fontana (1 hour East of Pasadena area)

Meeting point: Southridge Park parking lot off of Live Oak Avenue.

Directions: Get yourself on the 10 freeway, heading East to Fontana. Exit Cherry Ave and head South for several miles. Turn left onto Live Oak Ave (just after Ralph’s) and then take the next right into Southridge Park.

Sunday – 9:30am:
G-Spot and Devil’s Slide, Chatsworth (25 Minutes Northwest of Pasadena area)

Meeting point: GSpot trail base in Corriganville Regional Park.

Directions: Navigate to the 118 freeway and drive towards Chatsworth. Pick one of the two options below that applies to you.

Westbound toward Chatsworth: (From Pasadena area) Exit Rocky Peak Road, cross the bridge, and turn right (Santa Susana Pass Road). At traffic light, turn right onto Smith Road. Drive to the end of the road, turn left into Corriganville parking lot, and drive to the far end of the lot.

Eastbound toward Chatsworth: Exit Kuehner Drive, and turn right (Kuehner Drive). At Smith Road turn left, drive to the end, turn left into Corriganville parking lot, and drive to the far end of the lot.

Once the GSpot ride is complete, we will lead a caravan to Devil’s Slide, which is nearby.

What to bring:
Mountain unicycle (24" is best, 20" will work)
Camelbak or similar water holder (big enough for 5 mile rides)
Sunscreen
Spare tubes and tools
Protective gear (don’t forget helmets…CODY!)
Trail food
Bandages & health insurance card
Patience (for the freeways)

See you at the trails!

Josh

google_earth_waypoints.zip (2.3 KB)

maps.zip (1020 KB)

can’t make it for the friday and saturday rides :angry: though sunday i might be able to make.

Is there anyone I can crash with? lol I can drive and all that goodness but I just cant get a hotel room lol

If you can pitch in on the cost, I may be staying in a hotel Saturday night…

That is, unless someone has floor + shower space for me Saturday?

I’ll offer my services in return… I clean windows, sinks, toilets, can alphabetize your books / albums, change your cat litter box / snake tank / fish tank, wash your dishes / laundry / car / children / pets, clean up your yard, change your oil, true your wheels, etc. etc. I don’t need much space to sleep in, I can even camp in your yard / on your balcony / roof / etc. (WOW I love slashes!)

Otherwise, Cody, let’s find a Motel 8 or something, eh? I’ll sign for you as long as you don’t practice your pedal grabs on the nightstand.

Sorry about the lack of offers for places to crash. I sleep in a broom closet and JL’s not much better off. We’re the only members of the organizing group that actually live somewhat close to this stuff. There are quite a few primitive campgrounds in the Angeles National Forest, but none have showers and most lack running water.

If anyone can offer space - bed, couch, floor, lawn or otherwise - please speak up! (or contact the two guys who asked in this thread…)

places to stay (for future rides)

Greetings one and all:

So sorry my brother and I will be missing this ride. We’ll be in Big Bear celebrating my dad’s and uncle’s birthdays and won’t be back 'till the action’s all over.

I learned of this get-together from Morgan after running into her on campus (with my uni) at UCLA a couple of weeks ago.

In case a big group decides to do these rides again another weekend, the G-spot and Devil’s Slide areas aren’t too terribly far from my house (N 34.258028° W 118.463616°), my uncle’s house (N 34.205473° W 118.626736°), my maternal grandma’s house (N 34.259762° W 118.568093°) or my paternal grandma’s house (N 34.138533°, W 118.380824°) each of which could handle half a dozen folks w/sleeping bags (maybe a dozen at maternal grandma’s place).

I think Rod Wylie (a.k.a. The Munieer) also lives in the West Valley somewhere, although I know he has young kids–and they take up a lot of time and space!

Also, if you’re ever interested in riding on trails not normally accessible to the general public, I happen to know a DWP employee who is an avid mtn. biker and would likely let us tackle the trails here (N 34.139318° W 118.521375°) around the Encino reservoir. They’re a lot of fun, though not too technical, and in great shape.

Hope everyone is safe and has a blast this weekend!